Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 05:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50mm f1.4 USM (Possible issues)

secoast
29 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 15, 2009 05:06 |  #1

Hi all.

I'm looking for a 50mm f1.4 and have been browsing on ebay. Included were two sellers offering this lens with a faulty USM. Just wondered whether this is a coincidence or is the 50mm f1.4 known to have USM issues.

Cheers

Mark

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 15, 2009 05:18 |  #2

I don't know of any actual real numbers, but I have seen the USM fail on this lens quite often. If the deal is good enough, you can always get the faulty lens and send it off for repair (I'm not sure what the cost would be)

secoast
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 15, 2009 07:53 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #3

Hi....Thanks for the respnse. I wasn't intending to buy a faulty version, I just thought it seemed odd that two of these listed lenses were faulty. If they're more vulnerable to this issue I'll consider something else.

Thanks again

Mark

butugly
621 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 15, 2009 08:02 |  #4

great little lens picked mine up for £160 second hand,mine feels quite rough on the focus ring but not had any problems with it,anyway i tend to manually focus mine.get one you can always manual focus.

joosay
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 15, 2009 08:38 |  #5

you can try the sigma 50 1.4

is the USM the AF motor?

Flickr (external link) - Angelito Jusay Photography (external link)

caesar2164
377 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 15, 2009 09:05 as a reply to  @ joosay's post |  #6

yep.

UltraSonic Motor

Web Site! (external link) - Gear List!
Like Literature? Visit Literary Laundry (external link)!

secoast
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 16, 2009 07:26 as a reply to  @ caesar2164's post |  #7

Out of interest caesar, have you had any issues with your 50 1.4.

Cheers

Mark

caesar2164
377 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 16, 2009 08:27 as a reply to  @ secoast's post |  #8

I've had ZERO problems with it,

it might not be tack sharp at 1.4 and it might CA a little if it's very contrasty at 1.4 but all in all it's been a great little lens!

The portraits in this (external link) gallery with the dark/gold background were taken with the canon 50 1.4!
(the others were taken with my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, so it's in a different league...)

Web Site! (external link) - Gear List!
Like Literature? Visit Literary Laundry (external link)!

KirkM
373 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Sep 16, 2009 10:20 as a reply to  @ caesar2164's post |  #9

My 50mm f1.4 quit auto focusing a couple months ago. Worked fine when I put it in my camera bag, but not when I took it out :) Even though mine is a bit over 4 years old, it's only been used on maybe a dozen occasions. Never dropped, bumped, etc. either.

The price of a new lens is now $100 more than when I bought mine, so I'm still deciding whether it's worth $95 + shipping to repair it. I don't know exactly what I would get back from Canon either !

"The Canon USA repair facility may repair your product or exchange it for a new or refurbished product of the same model, or for a new or refurbished product of an equivalent model to your product, with the same or additional features. Please note that recovered, remanufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts may be used in connection with such repair."

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 503

7D | 10D | 50 f1.4 (broken) | 17-40 f4.0 | 70-200 f2.8 | 300 F4.0 | 1.4x II | EF 25 II | 550 EX | 27" iMac i7

secoast
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 18, 2009 07:49 |  #10

caesar...As your portraits prove it is a more than adequate lens for this sort of thing. I was aware that sharpness only comes into its own at f2.8, which is fine for me.
It is an ideal lens for my needs, but with Kirks comment adding to the reports of usm failures, it does appear that this lens is vulnerable.
If I decide to buy I will now definitely buy new. At least I'll have twelve months grace, not worrying whever I have a good one or not.

Thanks again for the replies.

Mark

avidstarr
293 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2009 08:01 |  #11

i just purchased one not to long ago. So far, im really loving it... again! xD At the time i met with the seller, i put it through tests, like focusing distance, focus on dark and light areas and extensively test it wide open, to see how many hit and misses i got. I wasnt impressed when i first held it... dust specs on the lens, figdity hood... but when i saw the preview pics of the shots i took wide open... i didnt care anymore. I wanted it! lol I double checked the lens again to see if they're some specs within the lens. Didnt find any :)

I think to keep the usm from getting faulty, is try not to use the hood to often? only when you really need it...

Just my 2cents on used lens... put it through the test :D

Feedback | FM (external link)|EBAY (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 18, 2009 08:09 |  #12

I got rid of the 50 F1.4 because it wasn't sharp enough or good enough at focusing. Give it a miss, get the Sigma version or my choice was the Sigma 30 F1.4.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,807 views & 0 likes for this thread
50mm f1.4 USM (Possible issues)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.