Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 07:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who cares about viewfinder size?

gravy ­ graffix
Goldmember
1,134 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 16, 2009 11:20 |  #16

https://photography-on-the.net …highlight=om-1+viewfinder

Peoria IL Wedding Photographer (external link) Chicago Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 16, 2009 11:21 |  #17

gravy graffix wrote in post #8655389 (external link)
look thru a Olympus OM-1 you want big... thats big. it is like you not even looking thru ANYTNING at all, turn you cam upside down, put it up to your eye... yeah. hot.

5d2 is a pleasant change form the 40-20d view finder.

Oooooh yeah.. A colleague only shot OM1s and OM2s while I shot Nikons and the OM1 and OM2 viewfinders were to kill for..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Cyrix_2k
299 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 16, 2009 11:26 |  #18

Maybe that's why i feel let down. I LOVE my OM-10!

Olympus OM-10 35mm SLR | Canon EOS 5D | Canon EOS 5D Mk III

Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX

Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 | Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 | Zuiko 50mm f/1.8

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 16, 2009 11:29 |  #19

The viewfinder in my 5D was a little too big to use well with my glasses and often when grabbing a quick shot, I'd not see one of the edges. The MKIII seems a little better this way and brighter or sharper or both, anyways it works better for me.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

AxxisPhoto
Goldmember
1,893 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 16, 2009 11:37 |  #20

Has never really mattered to me.

Web: Erotiklab (external link)(NSFW)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 16, 2009 12:15 |  #21

kasey wrote in post #8654143 (external link)
I mean, does it really matter to you if it's that slightly larger? I don't notice much of a difference between cameras of the same sensor size anyway. It's not like it will affect image quality or my composition, why such a big deal over it?

If you do any manual focusing at all viewfinder size matters. Every little bit helps when you're manually focusing an f/1.4 or f/1.2 lens in relative darkness because your camera's AF has given up and gone home.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 16, 2009 12:56 |  #22

I like big, bright viewfinders.

Unfortunately, there haven't been any to speak of for ages in the canon lineup. Nice viewfinders became extinct when phase detection autofocus, popup flash, and digital bodies came into existence. I really don't find the 1Ds mark III viewfinder to be THAT much better than my 40D viewfinder. They are all rather small and dim in comparison to old manual focus 35mm film cameras.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

push ­ pins
586 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 16, 2009 12:59 |  #23

look thru a Olympus OM-1 you want big... thats big. it is like you not even looking thru ANYTNING at all, turn you cam upside down, put it up to your eye... yeah. hot.

Getting my om-2 soon.. Cant wait to use f/1.2 and a huge viewfinder :D

My stuff at flickr.. (external link)

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 16, 2009 13:44 |  #24

When I first got my XSi, it seemed the viewfinder was smaller than my old 35mm cameras, but I hadn't shot one of those in years, so I thought the rose-colored filter of nostalgia was fooling me.

Then I got the 5D. Huge difference. I'd like the viewfinder to be 100%, but it's not really that big of a deal for my shooting.

Before I sold the XSi, which was not being used at all anymore, I snapped a few "last shots" with it, and couldn't believe how tiny the VF was. It's like looking down a long, dimly lit hallway compared to the 5D, which is nowhere near as good as old film cameras.

flickr (external link)

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 16, 2009 13:51 |  #25

The viewfinder of the OM1's really are something. I cringe after I have been shooting with my OM1 then going back to the 40D.

I personally would pay a premium for a DSLR with the same sized / bright viewfinder of the OM1.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 16, 2009 15:39 as a reply to  @ splbound's post |  #26

100% bright viewfinders are just one of the things that Canon tossed away when they moved to digital. My old manual Nikon and my Eos-3 are both better than my 30D.

So I'm pleased to see 100% viewfinders back on Canons radar. Just wish they would wake up to a number of other things that have been discarded.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 16, 2009 16:22 |  #27

Cyrix_2k wrote in post #8655090 (external link)
I agree, the entry level models are horrible. What I still don't get is why my film body has a MUCH better viewfinder than my 5D (larger/brighter... hard to compare coverage with most shots).

my 5D, and D700 aren't that much different than my A2 is?

Lowner wrote in post #8656938 (external link)
100% bright viewfinders are just one of the things that Canon tossed away when they moved to digital. My old manual Nikon and my Eos-3 are both better than my 30D.

not all canon's had 100% finders though, just the 3 and the 1 series. The elans and 7s and A2 were all a 9x% finder. It's similar now, you're just paying more than a 3 cost then for a DSLR with a worse viewfinder so it hurts more.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

ShadowVlican
50 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 16, 2009 16:42 |  #28

i value a larger and brighter viewfinder.... but maybe it's because i have bad eyesight :lol:

50D | EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | flickr (external link)

fire-eyes
81 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 16, 2009 16:48 |  #29

Before my Mark III, I had an Olympus E-300. I was pretty happy with it. Then in the park one day, I saw someone using a Mark III and he was willing to let me try it. I had done a LOT of research on the camera, and knew I already wanted it.

The thing that blew my mind was in fact the viewfinder size and brightness. That one thing right there sold me, everything else came secondary, interestingly. It makes a VERY large difference.

1D Mark III (1.2.3) || 24-105L f/4 IS || 70-200L f/2.8 IS || SpeedLite 580 EX II || Gitzo GT2541 + G1278M ball || Some Heliopan filters || Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW || Some other jazz

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,154 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 16, 2009 16:58 |  #30

Cyrix_2k wrote in post #8655090 (external link)
I agree, the entry level models are horrible. What I still don't get is why my film body has a MUCH better viewfinder than my 5D (larger/brighter... hard to compare coverage with most shots).

Film SLRs largely did not divert half of the light to the AF sensor in the base of the camera, so it all went to the focusing screen...brighter SLR.

Film SLRs, especially those from 1950-1980, did not rob real estate within the viewfinder to display all the status displays that are crammed into the viewfinder now. Olympus OM-1 (c. 1973) at 0.92x vs OM-4 (c.1983) 0.84x magnification showed the start of the trend...larger SLR

And to offset the brightness issues, the dSLR put the available photons into a smaller viewfinder to keep it brighter (still not as good as the SLR!)...smaller dSLR

[edit: corrected chart]

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/viewfinder1009new.jpg

Progress?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

8,372 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who cares about viewfinder size?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.