Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me pick my first DSLR!

jeromego
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 16, 2009 15:16 |  #16

brassringo wrote in post #8656748 (external link)
I would suggest you go with the Canon EOS Rebel Xti (400D) then upgrade to the 40D later.

I wouldn't go this way...if you can afford to get the 40D then go that route right away.

OP needs it for fast shooting, Xti is only 3fps compare to 6.5fps

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

sponsored links
jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 16, 2009 15:25 |  #17

brassringo wrote in post #8656748 (external link)
I would suggest you go with the Canon EOS Rebel Xti (400D) then upgrade to the 40D later.

Why?

caesar2164
377 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 16, 2009 15:34 as a reply to  @ jr_senator's post |  #18

Part of the op's criteria was a more substantial build and feel of the camera so I think the rebels are out...

OP (mikejet): i think your best bet is either a 40D or 50D.
If you can stretch the budget by quite a bit you could splurge on a 7d when that comes out but it's probably overkill...
I have a 40D and I love it...the 50D has a better screen, AF micro-adjust and 1.5x the MPs but some say worse IQ than the 40d because it's got all those pixels crammed in there.

Either one should be perfect for your criteria...

Web Site! (external link) - Gear List!
Like Literature? Visit Literary Laundry (external link)!

mikejet
THREAD ­ STARTER
573 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2009 15:41 as a reply to  @ caesar2164's post |  #19

Thanks for all the suggestions and the 40D looks like the way to go! There's still a few places selling new ones so I will probably get one new with a kit lens to start and a grip.

I think the most fun will be with a nifty fifty though.

Gear: S95 - Canon 50D - Canon 50mm 1.4 - BG-E2N Grip - R4 Rstrap - 200DG
molitrato.com (external link)
My flickr! (external link)
My feedback!

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 16, 2009 15:46 as a reply to  @ mikejet's post |  #20

Look at the Nikon D300. It has everything your looking for. Used should be just about the price range too.:cool:

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

Gnhntn
539 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 16, 2009 15:57 |  #21

Look around, and don't limit yourself just to Canon. There are several advantages to Canon and Nikon, as the are the biggest, and the ones used by most. But there are also advantages to be had with other manufacturers as well. Take a look at Pentax, Olympus, Sony, etc. You may find one that you like better. One huge difference between them is Canon and Nikon oput their IS (VR) in their lenses, where as the others I mentioned put it in the camera, meaning all lenses have IS. Canon and Nikon will have a larger lens selection to choose from.

If you already have funds for the 40D then out of your options with Canon for the 1k or less, go with the 40D, but not with the Rebel XTi. I still have my Rebel XT, but I found I quickly out grew it, and wanted more.

The best advise I can give is to shop around and go to the stores and pick them all up and hold them and see what feels good to you. It might be a Canon, and it may not be. You have to pick the one you that feels to be the best fit for you. Don't just read the reviews on them, get out there and pick them up, turn them over in your hands, look through the view finder, and everything else. This will prevent you from later wondering if you made the right choice, or if brand X would have been a better choice then brand A. They all do the same thing, and that is to capture an image.

"Why is it that children know how to forgive and forget...But adults forget how to forgive?"

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 16, 2009 19:37 |  #22

Canon or Nikon for sure. You are getting into a system (you may not be thinking so but give it some time) and Canon and Nikon have the systems. As for IS, I'm not a fan but many are. I bring this up because one reason neither Canon or Nikon have done it themselves is because that setup doesn't work well with the longer telephoto lenses (300 mm and longer).

Transfer
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 16, 2009 19:43 |  #23

40D. It's an incredible camera at an incredible price right now.
/thread

EOS 40D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8
My Flickr (external link)

Tim3less
272 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 17, 2009 20:26 |  #24

Yeah, 40D might be the one for you. don't discard the 50D though, the extra features are well worth the extra cash imo;)

:cool:

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 17, 2009 20:34 |  #25

40D for the win.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

azncarbos
514 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 29, 2009 10:57 |  #26

I think you should get the 40D......hehehehe

Peter Pham
P.Pham Photography
http://www.pphamphotog​raphy.com (external link)
Instagram
https://www.instagram.​com/outdoorpete/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,271 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me pick my first DSLR!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.