Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Think Tank Belt / Waist Storage Solutions

ChristopherChen
298 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 16, 2009 20:51 |  #1

Hi all

I'm in the market right now for a Belt / Waist storage system. Increasingly, I've been shooting quite a few events and weddings of late. Most times I take with me my Urban Disguise 50, or if it's just a small kit; my Billingham Hadley Pro.

The stuff I carry with me, 5dmk2 with battery grip, 85mm, 50mm, 28mm, 17-40mm, *sometimes 100mm Macro* 580exII Flash, and other misc. stuff like a flash reflector, torch light, utility knife, ipod, writting materials etc etc.

This has been treating me well so far but the strain on my shoulder is quite a biatch sometimes. The shape, size and carrying method of the bag makes it sometimes hard to manuvuer through crowded places. And lastly it's tough to change lenses in the field. My method which has worked so far...Camera strapped on neck, bag opened halfway with bottom half of lens sticking out, and then the switcheroo. Works so far, clumsy and unsafe...yes!

I've been looking at the Think Tank Modular System Set, as well as their Beltpacks like the Speed Demon, Speed Freak and Speed Racer. My concern is that with the modular system the pouch does not allow me to store my camera with lens attached, only separately. Correct me if I'm wrong though. But if I got the route of the Beltpacks such as the "Speed" series, I'll be able to store the camera with lens and also be able to add on other modular packs to the belt as well.

But of course the concern for me is organization and ease of use - With the belt packs all the gear is more or less stored in one compartment.

Does anyone have any experience using the beltpacks with modular components? Or perhaps used the modular system adding on a digital holster?

I want something that makes it easy for me to get to my gear and change things in the field and on the job. I'd probably still use my UD50 to transport my stuff there, and put everything together in the belt system before going to shoot.

Thanks so much guys!:cool:

Chris.

sponsored links
gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 16, 2009 21:20 |  #2

Chris, I carry all my gear in a TT Airport Sec, when I get to the event I will load up my TT belt system with the gear I will need till I can get back to my bag. If you are going to carry alot of gear for long periods I would suggest adding a Pixel Racing Harness it makes a big difference for those long days.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

ChristopherChen
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 16, 2009 21:33 |  #3

Yes the pixel racing harness was exactly what I was looking to add as well!

Reminds me of my load bearing vest during my conscription days! :D

Anyways do you use your system with a digital holster? Or just the Speed Changer?

I'd probably be purchasing the modular set, a digital holster and the pixel racing harness.

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 16, 2009 21:59 |  #4

For a 1-camera setup with different lenses, the modular system changed the way I shoot. If you know you're going to use all lenses, do purchase a lens pouch for each of them. I think the 3 x LC15 for the small primes, 1 x LC25 for the macro and large lens drop in for the 17-40L (with hood).

I would prefer that I brought everything there in a TTP backpack with waistbelt attachment features like the streetwalker or glass taxi. Of course, if you don't mind, the UD50 can do as well.

I personally think that holsters big enough to fit a gripped body should not be on the belt itself. Too bulky.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 16, 2009 22:10 |  #5

I have the 4 piece modular set (this set no longer available) and set it up according to the event, for football I will use Large lens drop in, Changer 50, Lightning Fast and for shooting golf I add speed changer. I don't use the Digital Holster, when I get done shooting everything goes back into the AirPort Security.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 16, 2009 22:13 |  #6

I used to use change up for weddings with extra modular pouch. Problem with this method is that the weight is not distributed. All the weight will go to one side.
I then go to the belt route and it makes my life a lot easier.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

ChristopherChen
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 16, 2009 23:17 |  #7

Guys thanks so much for all the quick replies!

If only my posts on the photo sharing pages got this kind of response! LOL! :D

Can't wait for the weekend to go check it out!

I think you guys are right though, adding the holster would just add to the bulk; especially at times when I shoot events such as concerts having to snake around on stage avoid the performers...having something slim would be a big benefit.

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 16, 2009 23:50 |  #8

ChristopherChen wrote in post #8659126 (external link)
Guys thanks so much for all the quick replies!

If only my posts on the photo sharing pages got this kind of response! LOL! :D

Can't wait for the weekend to go check it out!

I think you guys are right though, adding the holster would just add to the bulk; especially at times when I shoot events such as concerts having to snake around on stage avoid the performers...having something slim would be a big benefit.

I see you're Singaporean. Go check out and experiment with the different solutions at TK Foto. If you prefer to go to events with everything around your waist + pixel racing harness, you can add a chip cage for your 5D2. You won't have your lenses attached, but do you always need them attached?

Oh btw, last I checked, they didn't have the harness in stock in SG. They said supplies will come in Oct.

Cheers

ChristopherChen
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 17, 2009 00:55 |  #9

Thanks for the tip bro!

The whole range is actually in stock at Orient Photo, I get all my stuff from them! :D

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 17, 2009 00:56 |  #10

ChristopherChen wrote in post #8659518 (external link)
Thanks for the tip bro!

The whole range is actually in stock at Orient Photo, I get all my stuff from them! :D

I see. Have fun over the weekend ;)

jianghai_ho
90 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 17, 2009 23:13 |  #11

Haha I see the Singaporeans coming out of the woodwork in this thread. I'm based in the US but I go back fairly often...

Anyways I've been using the think tank series of pouches/belts since their first iterations (before they started making all that other stuff) and love them. Saves my back. But makes me look like a dorkish batman.

Anyways if any of you guys need something from the US I can probably bring back. I know that Cathay charges an arm and a leg for anything think tank.

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 18, 2009 02:37 |  #12

I didn't know Cathay Photo sold Think Tank stuff till I sold my SWHD to another photog who told me that they didn't have stocks. But yeah CP prices are high indeed.

To TS, you can't go wrong with the think tank belts. I'm not sure what to think now, though. Kind of regret buying the modular instead of the skin series because I'm getting a roller bag soon and the pouches take up space.

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 18, 2009 10:58 |  #13

gromeo wrote in post #8658513 (external link)
Chris, I carry all my gear in a TT Airport Sec, when I get to the event I will load up my TT belt system with the gear I will need till I can get back to my bag. If you are going to carry alot of gear for long periods I would suggest adding a Pixel Racing Harness it makes a big difference for those long days.

Can you post some reference pics of how you store you gear & belt system in the Airport Sec and how it all fits together on your torso?

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

ChristopherChen
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 18, 2009 21:03 |  #14

It's the weekend and I'm going to check out the system today at my local camera shop, I'm so excited, new toys are always pleasent!

I'll try to post some pics, but please pardon the appearance of my spare tyre! :D

fungry
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 18, 2009 21:58 as a reply to  @ ChristopherChen's post |  #15

Headshotzx wrote in post #8664451 (external link)
I didn't know Cathay Photo sold Think Tank stuff till I sold my SWHD to another photog who told me that they didn't have stocks. But yeah CP prices are high indeed.

To TS, you can't go wrong with the think tank belts. I'm not sure what to think now, though. Kind of regret buying the modular instead of the skin series because I'm getting a roller bag soon and the pouches take up space.

Is the modular really that much thicker compared to the skin?

gjman wrote in post #8666008 (external link)
Can you post some reference pics of how you store you gear & belt system in the Airport Sec and how it all fits together on your torso?

+1

Ed - Gear List - www.edkhou.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
Think Tank Belt / Waist Storage Solutions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.