Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 14 Sep 2009 (Monday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My photography site

Sher
42 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 14, 2009 17:39 |  #1

Just a simple website for my scenery and public transportation photos. Would appreciate any comment on anything. :D

http://www.ssfoto.net (external link)

A7II, 5DII | Canon 17-40 | 24-105L | 50 f1.4 | 100-300L | Sony 28 f2 | Tamron 70-200 VC | 70-300 VC
A6000, 50D, 350D
shermansham.com (external link) - Photo Gallery & Landscape Prints on Smugmug

sponsored links
MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 17, 2009 04:45 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I don't like how much clicking and wading through text I have to do just to get to the pictures. Is it a text site or a photo site? Which are you trying to showcase?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 17, 2009 13:28 |  #3

1: Favicon
2: CAPS IN TITLE
3: Animated header
4: Viewcounter
5: Not only that, but separate counters for separate pages.
6: Takes a long time to finally see the image i want.

Sher
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 17, 2009 14:45 as a reply to  @ Jonta's post |  #4

Thanks for the input, Audible and Jonta. It really helps.
but just want to make something clear:

What's the problem with animated headers? consider the growing popularity of flash and its small file size(32KB)

and take the "City Scene" section for example, does it really take a long process to finally get to the images? i mean by clicking on the menu bar -> thumbnails for each city?

Thanks. :)

A7II, 5DII | Canon 17-40 | 24-105L | 50 f1.4 | 100-300L | Sony 28 f2 | Tamron 70-200 VC | 70-300 VC
A6000, 50D, 350D
shermansham.com (external link) - Photo Gallery & Landscape Prints on Smugmug

Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 17, 2009 14:58 |  #5

Sher wrote in post #8660929 (external link)
What's the problem with animated headers? consider the growing popularity of flash and its small file size(32KB)

Well, for a start, your particular header is quite cheesy, and not wellrendered, and secondly, the popularity of flash is dropping, not rising.

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 17, 2009 14:59 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Sher wrote in post #8660929 (external link)
Thanks for the input, Audible and Jonta. It really helps.
but just want to make something clear:

and take the "City Scene" section for example, does it really take a long process to finally get to the images? i mean by clicking on the menu bar -> thumbnails for each city?

Thanks. :)

It's just that flash is fine and all that...but I'm there to see your pictures, not a bunch of bells and whistles that have little to nothing to do with your photography.

I spent 2 minutes clicking through picture and link after picture and link, just to get to the picture I wanted. If I had been anyone else and not test driving your site, I'd have left after the first portal.

I basically saw one cool pic that I liked as a thumb and had to go through 2 pages to get to it. I quit at that point, I wasn't going to do that for EVERY picture on your site.

Keep it simple, keep it clean.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

fly ­ my ­ pretties
608 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 18, 2009 21:14 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Ugh, flash... I quit the screen as soon as the pictures started loading.

I really can't stand flash galleries.

Website (external link)
Breasts (external link)
Flickr (external link)

habsfan93
135 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 18, 2009 22:37 |  #8

I also find the animated header extremely distracting. The twirly thing takes the eyes away from the photography very quickly.

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 21, 2009 19:18 |  #9

habsfan93 wrote in post #8669104 (external link)
I also find the animated header extremely distracting. The twirly thing takes the eyes away from the photography very quickly.

Yes very distracting

Richard
Gear

RichardA
463 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 21, 2009 19:21 |  #10

Over all I like the appearance of it, color and all.

Richard
http://www.ra-photography.net (external link)
http://www.herpforum.o​rg/ (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2009 20:01 |  #11

I can't say I hate it. I would be concerned if someone with not the fastest of machines tried to navigare through your site. Even on my machine there is noticeable slowdown, stuttering etc.

The menu bar at the top should be larger, imo. I got distracted, at first, with the blog style entries on the right. They should be removed as shou.d the animated header, imo.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
My photography site
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.