Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Sep 2009 (Monday) 18:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Next relase of Capture One - when ?

MarkTH
70 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 07, 2009 18:53 |  #1

When can we expect ver. 5.0 of Capture One/ Phase One ?
If does anybody know ,please drop the info.
I am using LR 2,4 to process RAW but I am not satisfied from management of colours.

Do you suggest any other software then C1 to work on the RAW files yo get the best results ?

Thank you.

Canon: 5D MkII | 35 f/1,4 L | 100mm Macro f/2.8 IS L | 24-105mm f/4 IS L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS |...| 580 ExII, 430Ex Speedlite | Velbon Sherpa 750R | B+W MRC filters UV | Kenko Ext Tube | Epson P-5000 | LowePro backpack | 27" Dell | CS3 | LR2.4
My small PHOTO gallery (external link)

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 07, 2009 20:07 |  #2

I've heard quite a few different drawbacks of LR2, but color management is not one of them.

What is it you want that LR doesn't do???

Phase One V4 was introduced not too long ago, so I'd be surprised if V5 was coming anytime soon.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 08, 2009 01:19 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #3

I agree with Renee, C1 (currently version 4.8) was not brought to the marketplace all that long ago. I would like to know why you need the next (read unknown) release of C1. What is it about the current release that you don't like.

There is no shortage of alternate RAW converters available out there. Some of it is going to be contingent of what you are exactly looking for and what you are willing to pay.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

MarkTH
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 08, 2009 03:51 |  #4

René Damkot wrote in post #8601758 (external link)
I've heard quite a few different drawbacks of LR2, but color management is not one of them.

What is it you want that LR doesn't do???

Phase One V4 was introduced not too long ago, so I'd be surprised if V5 was coming anytime soon.

Mainly I strongly need skin tools (not only me... as I read in the net).
It would be very usefull to correct skin tones
Now I take shoots in neutral mode (in RAWS all ones of course) but they are also much less sharper and is worse colour then in Canon DPP . But the DPP workflow is not comfortable for me :cry:

J hope the next version C1: 5,0 wil be in the time of relasing of Windows7. ...hope ;)

Canon: 5D MkII | 35 f/1,4 L | 100mm Macro f/2.8 IS L | 24-105mm f/4 IS L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS |...| 580 ExII, 430Ex Speedlite | Velbon Sherpa 750R | B+W MRC filters UV | Kenko Ext Tube | Epson P-5000 | LowePro backpack | 27" Dell | CS3 | LR2.4

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 08, 2009 06:08 |  #5

Skin tones has nothing to do with color management...
I'd suggest you go to the "Camera calibration" tab in LR2 and try "Camera neutral" instead of "Adobe Standard" there. The "Camera" profiles mimic Canon's "Picture styles" with the same description ("Camera Landscape" for "Picture style Landscape" and so on).

LR is then quite close to DPP color wise.

Sharpening in LR2 is capture sharpening, and should only be judged at 100%
LR Sharpening (external link)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Cathan
40 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 11, 2009 03:39 |  #6

if you were processing cr2 raw files, is C1 worth purchasing, if $100 or so?
or could photoshop and acr mimic C1 with some settings adjustments? (such as unsharp mask in fine tuning details)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 11, 2009 15:03 |  #7

I don't like the workflow of C1.

I own a copy of C1LE, since it was offered for free with Sandisk Ultra CF cards when I bought those.

You could download a trial and see whether you like it.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

MarkTH
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 11, 2009 15:24 |  #8

I very like workflow of Lihtroom 2,4 but i strongly need skin tools to perfect correction of photos and efficient noise reduction

I do not know workflow Capture 4 Pro yet but I imagine it is very similar to LR and has more tools.
Maybe I am wrong..... I will known the truth when I install it .... ;-)a

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 11, 2009 16:05 |  #9

C1 4.8.3 has just been released. Not quite version 5 but getting closer... :-)

Kev

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 11, 2009 19:52 |  #10

MarkTH wrote in post #8626731 (external link)
I do not know workflow Capture 4 Pro yet but I imagine it is very similar to LR and has more tools.
Maybe I am wrong..... I will known the truth when I install it .... ;-)a

You can get excellent skin results in most of the higher end raw converters, it is a matter of practise and refining your workflow. None of these are going to be the kind that you fire it up for the first time and nail it the first time (if you do, go buy a lottery ticket).

C1 has a different UI than LR but it is a matter of getting used to it. At first I wasn't a fan of it but after using it for awhile I quite like it. As far as tools go I am not sure what you are looking for beyond what LR offers. It doesn't have all of the various modules like LR does but as far as a RAW converter, it is my preferred software. I use the PRO version which is more expensive and can't recall what it offers over LE but I have seen the same image converted from both versions and they were great.

I kind of get the sense that you are after something that is going allow you to push a button and have everything come out as you envision it. I reiterate my earlier point in that once you have chosen a workflow/UI that suits you, practice is what will get you to be able to make the kind of conversions that you want. I will say that there are more online resources for Lightroom than there is for C1 but the latter also has a pretty active user forum where you can learn just about anything that you want without all of the trolling that you might see elsewhere.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 12, 2009 07:20 |  #11

ssim wrote in post #8627982 (external link)
I use the PRO version which is more expensive and can't recall what it offers over LE

Tethered shooting, and the use of specific profiles (Magne's ETC profiles for instance)
IIRC you can use them in LE, but you cannot switch on the fly.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

joe445
541 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 12, 2009 19:34 |  #12

NinetyEight wrote in post #8626945 (external link)
C1 4.8.3 has just been released. Not quite version 5 but getting closer... :-)

I just installed the 4.8.3 version- so far it is the fastest loading version of C1 that I've used as well as the loading time on raw files for processing. Glad to see this improvement. So far it's the best raw converter I've used- then I put the image in CS4 to finish. Lightroom is also nice but I use C1 most of the time- my 2 cents

Canon 5D Mark II w/BG-E6 grip--CanonEF 24-105mm f4 L IS-

kraterz
233 posts
Joined Aug 2001

Sep 18, 2009 00:09 |  #13

Specifically what is missing from Capture One 4.8.x that you want to see developed and added to later versions?

If it's only a matter of skin tones, or color rendition in general, I find capture one gives me absolutely the most accurate colors compared to lightroom or DPP. It's a matter of creating and using the correct color profiles and properly organizing your color management workflow among the chain of applications used for raw conversion, editing and printing.

I also find Capture one gives me the most detail compared to the others. Lightroom images turn out to have a little less detail and texture, as is the case with DPP.

MarkTH
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 18, 2009 01:25 |  #14

1. I am waiting for the next version 'cos I want to be sure it will be FULL compatible with Windows 7 system.

René Damkot wrote:
Skin tones has nothing to do with color management...
I'd suggest you go to the "Camera calibration" tab in LR2 and try "Camera neutral" instead of "Adobe Standard" there. The "Camera" profiles mimic Canon's "Picture styles" with the same description ("Camera Landscape" for "Picture style Landscape" and so on).

LR is then quite close to DPP color wise.

Sharpening in LR2 is capture sharpening, and should only be judged at 100%

LR Sharpening

René Damkot ,please read the kraterz's opinion... Many people say similary: better colours, better sharpening ,etc in C1 then in LR / I believe in theese opinions. When ver 5,0 appears, I definitely buy one. :-)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 18, 2009 07:58 |  #15

MarkTH wrote in post #8664265 (external link)
René Damkot ,please read the kraterz's opinion... Many people say similary: better colours, better sharpening ,etc in C1 then in LR / I believe in theese opinions. When ver 5,0 appears, I definitely buy one. :-)

Yeah, I know. But I don't agree. Gave it a try a while back: Thread.

I prefer colors and sharpening of DPP. In my circumstances, LR2 (with "Camera Neutral") also does better then C1. Using Etcetera profiles improves C1 by quite a margin.

Sharpening and NR in C1V4 is a whole lot better then in C1 version 3 though.
Also, in "daylight" shots, C1 is less problematic.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

2,090 views & 0 likes for this thread
Next relase of Capture One - when ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.