Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

License question for a non-profit conference...

mightyslam
162 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 17, 2009 23:11 |  #1

A group here in Rochester is organizing a "TEDx" conference. If you don't know, TED (external link) is an annual conference dealing with cutting-edge thinkers in Technology, Entertainment, and Design. "TEDx" are local conferences independent of the actual TED organization, but held for the same purpose.

Anyway, a person from the group saw an image of mine on my Flickr page and contacted me about using it for the conference on the program and invites, as well as a running slideshow of my images between presenters. He estimates about 560 people will attend.

The "TEDx" conferences are nonprofit affairs, in fact a rule for hosting one of these is that they can't make money. Everything must be donated or provided by a sponsor. Because of this, they have no funds to pay for the images.

I have no issue about letting them use my images in exchange for a special thanks in the program, my question is how do I write up a license agreement for this? How do I reference the images specifically and what they can be used for?

Long post, I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

flickr (external link) | Canon 7D MkII | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon 430EX II

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 18, 2009 10:13 |  #2

Some people would say that an attorney should be crafting things like this, but when I let people use an image for free I generally just draw up some plain language licensing agreements, explaining in common English exactly what they can do with the image, that the license is revocable at any time, that the copyright remains with me, and explaining at the end that all other rights are reserved to me.

Ryan McGinnis
The BIG Storm Picture (external link) PGP: 0x65115E4C
Follow my storm chasing adventures! (external link)
Images@Getty (external link) Images@Alamy (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 18, 2009 11:48 |  #3

chakalakasp wrote in post #8665749 (external link)
Some people would say that an attorney should be crafting things like this, but when I let people use an image for free I generally just draw up some plain language licensing agreements, explaining in common English exactly what they can do with the image, that the license is revocable at any time, that the copyright remains with me, and explaining at the end that all other rights are reserved to me.

I would agree with this.

However, for the record, just because an organization is non-profit, it doesn't mean they can't have a budget for photography. If they can pay for a meeting venue or for a receptions or buy stationery, they can pay for photography.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

mightyslam
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 18, 2009 14:19 |  #4

RDKirk wrote in post #8666275 (external link)
I would agree with this.

However, for the record, just because an organization is non-profit, it doesn't mean they can't have a budget for photography. If they can pay for a meeting venue or for a receptions or buy stationery, they can pay for photography.

I also totally agree... but they aren't paying for anything. Even the venue, a 600-sest theatre, is being donated to them for the conference.

flickr (external link) | Canon 7D MkII | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon 430EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

872 views & 0 likes for this thread
License question for a non-profit conference...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.