Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2009 (Friday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Noob... what am I missing?

SamG
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 18, 2009 15:14 |  #1

So I'm ready to jump into the DSLR field. I've kind of narrowed my choices down to the Canon XSi and T1i. Now I find this on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com …_trksid=p3286.c​0.m14#shId (external link)
Is this a case of "too good to be true"? The seller has good feedback... where's the problem? Delivery time? Even if some of the lenses aren't the greatest, the body, the bags/cases, and other accessories are worth the cost, right?

Please help.

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 18, 2009 15:22 |  #2

Most, if not all, of these bundles are junk. Usually the included lenses are bottom of the barrel and the accessories are beyond junk. You are much better off buying from a reputable dealer and carefully choosing your lenses and accessories.

SamG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 18, 2009 15:24 |  #3

Thank you. The excitement sort of gets to you (at least me).

jubu
752 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 18, 2009 15:25 |  #4

Assuming the T1i body is worth about $700 new, then you have to ask yourself if you would spend $400+ really buying the other stuff it comes with. Not sure if I'd buy any of those lenses in particular, other than the Nifty Fifty, which I love a lot (as do many others).

And FYI, I've got a 1.5 month old mint gripped XSi I am thinking of selling as I may be catching the "upgrade" bug already...my gear is all less than 1.5 months old and is listed in my sig. PM me if you're interested. :)

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | My Flickr Favorites (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 18, 2009 15:36 |  #5
bannedPermanently

I'd get an xxD camera first. Forget the rebels =)

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 18, 2009 15:49 |  #6

merp wrote in post #8667450 (external link)
I'd get an xxD camera first. Forget the rebels =)

Rebels are a perfect learner DSLR, has all the features you need to learn to use, but isn't as scary. They are also very capable shooters.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 18, 2009 15:59 |  #7

SamG wrote in post #8667345 (external link)
So I'm ready to jump into the DSLR field. I've kind of narrowed my choices down to the Canon XSi and T1i. Now I find this on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com …_trksid=p3286.c​0.m14#shId (external link)
Is this a case of "too good to be true"? The seller has good feedback... where's the problem? Delivery time? Even if some of the lenses aren't the greatest, the body, the bags/cases, and other accessories are worth the cost, right?

Please help.

as others have indicated, this package includes a lot of junk items and is overpriced. if you're going to buy online use a reputable site like www.bhphotovideo.com (external link), Adorama, etc. or check www.resellerratings.co​m (external link)

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 18, 2009 16:05 |  #8

benesotor wrote in post #8667531 (external link)
Rebels are a perfect learner DSLR, has all the features you need to learn to use, but isn't as scary. They are also very capable shooters.

"Learner camera" suggests that it will be phased out necessitating the need to upgrade. I think what the person is suggesting is to just get the camera you'll end up with from the get go. Cameras, unlike lenses depreciate rapidly so buying new while intending to sell and upgrade can cost hundreds of dollars.

My first DSLR was a Rebel XT and I quickly regretted the purchase and sold it within a few months. It was too small and lacked needed features.

For a "learner camera" I would buy a used or refurbished 20D, 30D or 40D. You can find at least one of those for less than a new Rebel.

Knowing what I know now if I were just getting into DSLRs I would get the 7D.

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 18, 2009 16:07 |  #9

gooble wrote in post #8667609 (external link)
"Learner camera" suggests that it will be phased out necessitating the need to upgrade. I think what the person is suggesting is to just get the camera you'll end up with from the get go. Cameras, unlike lenses depreciate rapidly so buying new while intending to sell and upgrade can cost hundreds of dollars.

My first DSLR was a Rebel XT and I quickly regretted the purchase and sold it within a few months. It was too small and lacked needed features. For a "learner camera" I would buy a used or refurbished 20D, 30D or 40D. You can find at least one of those for less than a new Rebel.

Well it totally depends on how you do your purchasing I suppose, I've had my 400D years but am way passed the 'learner' stage. Some people like to change bodies quickly, some don't. But yes a used XXD will be even better,

I just don't want anyone to think the XXXD bodies aren't worth their weight.

joosay
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 18, 2009 16:11 |  #10

He can also get a used Rebel for less than a used 20/30/40D.

Flickr (external link) - Angelito Jusay Photography (external link)

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 18, 2009 16:14 |  #11

benesotor wrote in post #8667618 (external link)
Well it totally depends on how you do your purchasing I suppose, I've had my 400D years but am way passed the 'learner' stage. Some people like to change bodies quickly, some don't. But yes a used XXD will be even better,

I'm not saying the Rebel image quality cannot be comparable to higher end models because it can be, but the main shortcomings that causes people to buy up is the small size and lack of features, ergonomics, button placement etc. If those things don't bother you then stick with a Rebel. It is an issue for many though so I just suggest people be aware of it.

So, let me temper my suggestion. While saying "just get the xxD you won't regret it" may not be right for everyone, recommending a Rebel as a starter becuase they're more inexpensive and more basic will not be right for everyone either.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 18, 2009 16:16 |  #12

benesotor wrote in post #8667618 (external link)

True, the Rebels do not weigh as much but they use the same sensor and have the same (or better) ISO performance and probably have better value than the XXD "used" bodies.

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 18, 2009 16:25 |  #13

watt100 wrote in post #8667668 (external link)
True, the Rebels do not weigh as much but they use the same sensor and have the same (or better) ISO performance and probably have better value than the XXD "used" bodies.

Right, some people feel this way but I'd use any 40D rather than any Rebel.

SamG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 18, 2009 16:26 |  #14

WOW, thanks for the reply's guys. Let me tell you a little about me... I currently have a Fuji DSLR (integrated lens). NO manual controls (except whether to use the flash) 10x zoom, 3MP. Why I want to upgrade:

Number 1 reason is my kids are involved in sports (DD 11 is in softball, DS 6 is in soccer). The Fuji forces you to snap the picture before you want to snap the picture (does that make sense?) You try to follow the action and still end up with a leg sticking out of one side of the frame.

Number 2 is continuous shot (same reason as #1)

Number 3 is the ability for manual controls. I learned photography in HS (including developing my own film), but that's been 20 years ago. I do know enough to know when I want a shallow or deep DOF and fast or slow shutter speed.

Number 4 is battery life. The lens on the Fuji (while nice) eats the batteries extending & retracting. When you change the batteries, you need to reset the time... a pain. Do you need to do that on the Rebels?

I plan to use it to take pictures of the kids athletic events, happenings around the house, vacations, etc.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 18, 2009 16:38 |  #15

SamG wrote in post #8667718 (external link)
WOW, thanks for the reply's guys. Let me tell you a little about me... I currently have a Fuji DSLR (integrated lens). NO manual controls (except whether to use the flash) 10x zoom, 3MP. Why I want to upgrade:

Number 1 reason is my kids are involved in sports (DD 11 is in softball, DS 6 is in soccer). The Fuji forces you to snap the picture before you want to snap the picture (does that make sense?) You try to follow the action and still end up with a leg sticking out of one side of the frame.

Number 2 is continuous shot (same reason as #1)
Number 3 is the ability for manual controls. I learned photography in HS (including developing my own film), but that's been 20 years ago. I do know enough to know when I want a shallow or deep DOF and fast or slow shutter speed.

Number 4 is battery life. The lens on the Fuji (while nice) eats the batteries extending & retracting. When you change the batteries, you need to reset the time... a pain. Do you need to do that on the Rebels?

I plan to use it to take pictures of the kids athletic events, happenings around the house, vacations, etc.

Since you have kids, the video feature on the T1i (500D) would be a good choice. And the other features of the T1i are pretty good -

• 15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • Full HD movie recording with HDMI connection for viewing and playback on an HDTV
  • ISO 100-3200 (expandable to 12800)
  • 3.4 frames per second continuous shooting
  • Max. 170 large JPEG images in a single burst
  • 3.0” ClearView LCD with Live View mode
  • 9-point wide area AF with cross type centre point
  • High speed DIGIC 4 performance and superb image quality
  • EOS Integrated Cleaning System
  • Full compatibility with Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites, including new Speedlite 270EX, TS-E 17mm f/4L and TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Of course, you do know this is just the start of the $$ outlay? a telephoto long distance zoom, macro lens, external off camera flash, tripod, SD cards ... it can add up !

sponsored links

2,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
Noob... what am I missing?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.