Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 30 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Between Denver and Albuquerque... good photo spots?

smmokan
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 30, 2009 18:55 |  #1

I live in Denver and will be driving to ABQ in a couple of months... since we're in no hurry to get down there, I thought I'd see if there are any good photo ops in-between. We've been to Garden of the Gods and Great Sand Dunes, and we'll be spending most of a day in Santa Fe.

So- any good spots? I prefer landscape pictures but heck, I'll shoot just about anything. :)

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 31, 2009 11:43 |  #2

In a couple of months...:lol:...think about the weather in the high country.

Go south thru LaVita on Highway 12 to Trinidad and back onto I-25. The county road at the top of Cuchara Pass has a lot of good ops, but you will need a 4x4 during rain or snow, roads aren't paved.

Check out my pbase in signature, including the Dalton enclave hideout.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Cyclop
Cream of the Crop
6,899 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 02, 2009 12:43 |  #3

Colorado Springs offers the Air Force Academy, Rodeo Museum and US Olympic Training Center. A few sites that may interest you...

Canon 50D w/grip, Canon 7D, Mark II w/grip, Tokina UWA 11-16 2.8, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS, Canon 300 4 L IS, Canon 400 5.6 L, Canon 100 "macro" 2.8, Canon 60 "macro" 2.8, Canon Extender 1.4xII, Gitzo 3531S tripod w/Markins M20 ballhead, Gitzo GT2531EX tripod, Bogen-Manfrotto 681B monopod w/3232 head.

Architective
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 18, 2009 17:52 as a reply to  @ Cyclop's post |  #4

LOTS of good places to take pictures on that stretch. What do you want to take pictures of? Landscapes, cool old churches, mountainscapes?

The Raton pass is very picturesque, about 10-20 miles south of the Colorado border.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 19, 2009 01:52 |  #5

Don't forget Garden of the Gods!

Bryan

My Gear List

smmokan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 30, 2009 17:05 |  #6

Architective wrote in post #8668096 (external link)
LOTS of good places to take pictures on that stretch. What do you want to take pictures of? Landscapes, cool old churches, mountainscapes?

Yes. :)

Any recommendations? We've got all the time in the world driving down there, and then we're planning on spending a half day in Santa Fe too. Thoughts?

(to other posts- I'm not interested in CO Springs.... I'm thinking closer to the CO/NM border and other locales within NM)

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,267 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 02, 2009 07:26 |  #7

I would get off I-25 and use highway 64 through Cimarron, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire and Taos. The circle around through Red River is also nice. See the Rio Grand Gorge outside Taos. Kit Carson and his family are buried in Taos. Lots of colorful homes there, too. From Taos, take "the High Road" to Espanola. This goes through scenic country, as well as small villages and pueblos. In Chimayo is the Santuario de Chimayo, very historic and scenic. Also a great restaurant in Chimayo (Rancho de Chimayo).

You can day-trip north on 84 to Abiquiu, Georgia O'Keefe's Ghost Ranch, Echo Canyon, etc, etc. To the SW are Los Alamos, Jemez Valley (caldera, actually) Bandelier NM, etc, etc.

Santa Fe is special, lots of churches and other historic buildings. Loretta's Chapel is a must see. The national cemetery appeals to me. Day trip to visit the Zia Pueblo, descendants of the Anasazi.

Spend some time with Google to round out your itinerary.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

smmokan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2009 16:29 |  #8

Sparker- in your estimation, how far off 64 are some of those locations? Unless the weather is bad, we're definitely heading that way on our drive down...

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,267 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 10, 2009 09:51 |  #9

smmokan wrote in post #8792442 (external link)
Sparker- in your estimation, how far off 64 are some of those locations? Unless the weather is bad, we're definitely heading that way on our drive down...

Highway 64 runs right through Cimarron and Eagle Nest, practically through Angel fire and then goes into Taos. It also goes beyond Taos to the Rio Grande Gorge, but that is moving away from Albuquerque. Also, to visit Red River goes in a circle off 64, don't remember how long the circle is. The "High Road" is a back way to Espanola (through Chimayo and other villages), where you can either explore north (Abiquiu, Ghost Ranch, Echo Canyon) on 84 or take 285 right into Santa Fe. It's all worth doing and the color may still be good now.

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

smmokan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 12, 2009 13:01 |  #10

Thanks.

I won't be doing the trip until around Thanksgiving, but there should be decent conditions then too.

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,267 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 12, 2009 13:12 |  #11

By Thanksgiving, some of the fall color may be gone, and I'd check the weather before going. Snow could be a factor in the mountains.

sponsored links

2,329 views & 0 likes for this thread
Between Denver and Albuquerque... good photo spots?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.