Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 17 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 19:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first paying session

cdrumeller
348 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 18, 2009 17:54 |  #16

jennhunter wrote in post #8666688 (external link)
In your opinions, which photos on my flikr are better? I am just curious to get opinions.

Here are my opinion on my favorites from your flicker site:

IMG_2735

IMG_2656

IMG_2757 1

my only critique is that some are odd sizes like IMG_2765 it looks very sinny? what size did you crop it to?

Canon 50D l 50mm 1.8 l canon 18-200mm l

http://simplyblissfulp​hotography.blogspot.co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links
jennhunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 18, 2009 19:35 |  #17

As I am pretty much self teaching myself photoshop, with the help of a few books, I didn't even realize I was doing that to my photos. I had it set on no restriction for the aspect ratio, so as I was cropping, it was shrinking.....duh. Guess I shall continue to learn from my mistakes :)

Canon Rebel Xsi, 50mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 430 EX II Speedlight

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/the5hunters/ (external link)

any advice is greatly appreciated!

Undispu7ed
"Yeah I'm dirty minded."
470 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 18, 2009 19:47 |  #18

matonanjin wrote in post #8667075 (external link)
You say you are very new and this is your first paid shoot? Isn't this a contradiction? I think you need to work on some basics and composition before you are qualified to charge for your work.

On your second post with the baby. the baby's direction is going camera right. That is where your empty space should be. Likewise, with dad holding the baby they should give the movement towards the empty space in front of them.

JMHO

ears wrote in post #8667491 (external link)
And remember to cross your I's and dot your T's ;). There is always exceptions to the rules. Thats what potography is all about. It doesnt matter if you went out and got a disposable camera yesterday and started charging today. If the clients are happy and your making money then why wait till your "qualified" to do the work? At what point should I consider myself qualified? That being said. It all comes down to whether or not the client is happy (and yourself of course). Sorry if this is a little long winded but the response seemed a little blunt. Now off to finish off that qualification test.......

I agree with this. What makes a person qualified? So because someone has been shooting for years, that would make them more qualified? Even if said photography newbie's pictures looks better?

- Jon
5D MKII gripped |
35 1.4L | 85 1.2L MKII| 16-35 2.8L MKII | 70-200 2.8L IS | 3x RF-602 triggers/receivers | 580 EX II speedlite | 430 EX II speedlite | 2x AB800s | Vagabond II |

kajawhit
887 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 19, 2009 03:42 |  #19

You have some really cute shots :) I am not sure if it happened in PP or in camera, but the first image seems kind of contrasty and dark. The second eye looks almost black. You can fix it is photoshop. Just a couple of adjustments, and here is the difference.
~ Wanted to add that is one adorable baby :) and I think you did great. Keep clickin away!
Yours

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i75.photobucket​.com …it/original-baby-cute.jpg (external link)

Quick edit

http://i75.photobucket​.com …09/kajawhit/bab​y-cute.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D
24-70 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm macro, 200 mm ~580 ex II,
**Garage Studio***
Motorized backdrop system, 20+canvas backdrops, lots of lighting, and too many props :)

jennhunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 19, 2009 07:33 |  #20

Thank you so much! Would you be willing to explain how exactly you did that in photoshop?

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 19, 2009 11:06 |  #21

ears wrote in post #8667491 (external link)
And remember to cross your I's and dot your T's ;). There is always exceptions to the rules. Thats what potography is all about. It doesnt matter if you went out and got a disposable camera yesterday and started charging today. If the clients are happy and your making money then why wait till your "qualified" to do the work? At what point should I consider myself qualified? That being said. It all comes down to whether or not the client is happy (and yourself of course). Sorry if this is a little long winded but the response seemed a little blunt. Now off to finish off that qualification test.......

jennhunter wrote in post #8667512 (external link)
Amen! Thanks. Everyone has to start somewhere. And I can take criticism, but why be so harsh?

Undispu7ed wrote in post #8668494 (external link)
I agree with this. What makes a person qualified? So because someone has been shooting for years, that would make them more qualified? Even if said photography newbie's pictures looks better?

In hindsite, it was blunt and harsh. For that I apologize. I so often see people post crap on here and every one falls all over each other telling the poster how great it is. That, IMO, does little to help the poster.

That is absolutely not to say the OP's product is crap. I am a sports photog not a portrait one and therefor probably not qualified to criticize and shouldn't have. But even as such I saw some areas for improvement in these. Composition could be better and several on the Flickr site could use improvement in lighting. But I certainly could have worded it better.

Definitely, I know those that have been shooting for years that put out an inferior product to some that develop a passion for this discipline and are brilliant in as short as a year or less. But still as a general rule I believe that quality improves with time and experience.

There are many of us that have been doing this for years and making a living at it that are hypersensitive to the newbies with a digital rebel and a kit lens suddenly qualified to start charging. I remain convinced there should be a minimal level of knowledge before doing so not unlike an auto mechanic or plumber. But maybe if the client is satisfied that is the ultimate measure.

My criticism was directed at your images. If you took it personally I again apologize.

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

jennhunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 19, 2009 15:37 |  #22

I accept your apology. I didn't take it THAT personally. I would like to feel welcomed to post photos on here and get constructive, reasonable, criticism. Isn't part of the point of these sites to help us "newbies" get advice from the more experienced? Wasn't there a point in your career where you were also considered a "newbie"? I really didn't charge these people to take photos of their daughter, it was offered to me, as I was pretty much taking it in as practice. But thanks for clearing things up.

jennhunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 19, 2009 16:55 |  #23

Ok, I took this one and started from scratch. Not as good as Kajawhit's, but I gave it a whirl.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kimmy ­ T
550 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 19, 2009 18:22 |  #24

I think you did a wonderful job. Everybody has their own style and if people are paying you, they must like what you are doing. Keep shooting!!I think you did a good job of your edit. I played a bit with your edit, if you don't like it I can take it down.

http://i70.photobucket​.com …3935502670_db6c​a6e919.jpg (external link)

A beginner in the World of Photography
Rebel XS Gripped, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, 430EX II

jennhunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 19, 2009 19:07 |  #25

Thank you that looks good, what exactly did you do to it to get those results? Thank you for your words of encouragement!

Noelle8818
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 19, 2009 19:20 |  #26

jennhunter wrote in post #8673044 (external link)
Thank you that looks good, what exactly did you do to it to get those results? Thank you for your words of encouragement!

im very interested too in how those results were acheived? I really need to work on brightening eyes.

BTW I thought your shots were great. I do like the second edit of the first picture best, and I love t he second shot in your first post too. Great job!

Kimmy ­ T
550 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 20, 2009 00:29 |  #27

jennhunter wrote in post #8673044 (external link)

I took your edit, adjusted the Hue/Sat (sat red -100, yellow -100), adjusted the brightness +50 painted back everything but the skin, burned the iris of the eyes. Hope this helps.

A beginner in the World of Photography
Rebel XS Gripped, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, 430EX II

michillebaker
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 20, 2009 12:42 |  #28

I definatly agree with you. Everyone has to start somewhere. To be truthful I think you did a great job for your first paid shoot. I truly am in love with your 2nd photo. Do you mind sharing what type of photo processing you did. I love these types of photos. I also checked your flickr and feel the other are good to. Great job!

jennhunter wrote in post #8667512 (external link)
Amen! Thanks. Everyone has to start somewhere. And I can take criticism, but why be so harsh?

Not a pro by any means.. Just enjoy taking pics.
Gear: Canon 60D, Rebel XSi; Canon 50mm ; Canon 55-250mm IS ; Flash: Canon 430ex II with diffuser My Just order sigma 18-50mm :).
My Photo Blog (external link) ; My Actions & Tutorial Blog (external link) ; My flickr (external link)
http://michilles-photography.blogspot.c​om/ (external link)

Rhinotherunt
Looking for a Rock
7,129 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2009 18:40 |  #29

That first one is adorable.

Ryan McGill
My Gearhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=592450

sponsored links

2,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first paying session
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.