Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 and EF-S lenses???

gcflora
"I'm not normal"
1,544 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 10, 2009 22:19 |  #16

shadowcat wrote in post #8614473 (external link)
God I hope they don't do something stupid like that. they need to get rid of the EF-S system and go all FF sensor in all cameras

I can't see that happening. There would be no more "entry level" dSLRs if it did... they'd all be too expensive.

Craig
http://www.australimag​e.com.au (external link)

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,179 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 14, 2009 14:05 as a reply to  @ gcflora's post |  #17

That's not any issue.
The percentage of people who think we world will cease to exist as we know it, if they don't have a full frame camera, are greatly over-represented in a forum like this one.

In the real world, there are many APS-C customers.

Anders

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,756 posts
Gallery: 232 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2009 15:42 |  #18

EF-S on an Extension Tube would fit on a FF body ( I think), why you'd want to do that is beyond me (unless upgrading bodies and no cash left for that 24-70 2.8 )

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

Ben ­ A
130 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 20, 2009 17:21 |  #19

sodalis wrote in post #8620736 (external link)
What extra reach would that be exactly?

Quick quiz- In the current Canon line up, what body has the least amount of "reach"?

Answer: The 1DIII

Huh? The 1DIII isn't full frame?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | Canon EOS 40D | Tokina 12-24 f4 | Manfrotto 190XB/804RC2 | Canon 70-300 IS |
My Website, Ben Wynn Media (external link)

cdi
60 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 20, 2009 18:04 as a reply to  @ Ben A's post |  #20

why would canon make the canon 5d3 accept ef-s lenses? i thought the ef-s was specifically designed for the aps-c sensor cameras. i mean if you want a lens that is 100% compatible with a ff camera, why not buy an ef lens? i mean if i wanted a lens that is compatible with all canon cameras i would save up the money instead of settling on a lens that is only compatible with the aps-c cameras. this whole debate is like being able to use diesel in a car that runs on gasoline... yeah it would work but can do a lot of damage

{Chris Cleveland}
Cleveland Digital Imaging (external link)

mellowd
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 20, 2009 18:08 |  #21

cdi wrote in post #8677865 (external link)
why would canon make the canon 5d3 accept ef-s lenses? i thought the ef-s was specifically designed for the aps-c sensor cameras. i mean if you want a lens that is 100% compatible with a ff camera, why not buy an ef lens?

To entice people to upgrade to a FF camera and keep their EF-S lens line-up. Marketing wise it would be a good thing

5D : 17-40L : 85 f1.8 : 135L f2.0L - Full Gear List Here!
flickr (external link)

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 20, 2009 18:50 |  #22

Ben A wrote in post #8677662 (external link)
Huh? The 1DIII isn't full frame?

Nobody said it was...

My post was in response to someone saying the APS-H format gave more "reach", which it does not. In fact, none of the 1D APS-H cameras have had more "reach" than their 1Ds FF counterparts. "Reach" is a function of pixel density, not crop format.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,179 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 21, 2009 10:16 as a reply to  @ sodalis's post |  #23

True, but most people look at what the uncropped image looks like when printed in the same format, and then APS-H does have more reach than FF, as it will record less of the subject, when using the same lens.

Anders

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2009 05:34 |  #24

I hope Canon does not waste their time making it capable of using efs lenses, seriously how many people that actually have a 5D want to use efs lenses? they are better off spending their research money on something much more useful

there is not one efs lens I have any interest in owning and I am willing to bet the majority of FF users feel the same

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

packetloss
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 09, 2009 07:32 as a reply to  @ tekkie's post |  #25

I'm not sure if this is how it works on the D700, but in theory on the 5DMK III, FPS could be improved when using an EF-S lens since it wouldn't have to process as large of an image.

If they could bring it up to the speed of the 7D when in crop mode then it would eliminate the need for an extra camara for someone who shoots sports as well as portraits.

lowcrust
948 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 13, 2009 12:51 |  #26

I heard it will have an FD mount compatibility.

~ BORN FREE - TAXED TO DEATH! ~

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 14, 2009 13:02 |  #27

Anyone mention there's only something like 6 EF-S lenses in Canon's lineup and that they're not all that spectacular except for maybe 2 of them. Why would you buy a crop camera to use two lenses? Why?

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

sponsored links

7,024 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 and EF-S lenses???
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.