Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Sep 2009 (Monday) 19:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma again... sigh, will I never learn :-(

robonrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 22, 2009 15:53 |  #31

Ah well, this has been fun, I should get my replacement 70-200 today... if it's good then I may smile on SIgma once more, if it isn't ....well I'll probably whinge some more, swear I'll never touch another Sigma lens... and then in a few months time when they bring out the 70-200 with OS (here's hoping) I'll forget and forgive all and throw myself into another destructive relationship once more ;-)a

rob - check my galleries at http://hardlightimages​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
Zenfolio coupon discount when signing up - 93R-NCK-DUT

sponsored links
ears
552 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 22, 2009 18:58 |  #32

My Sigma 50mm 1.4 was only sharp at +20 micro adj on my 50D. I decided to send it in to Sigma to get it calibrated correctly and now the only way to get it to focus sharp is to set my micro adj to +30 ( which it doesnt go to). Has anybody else sent a lens to sigma only to get it back worse than before you sent it in?

5d MkIII / 6D SOLD:cry:/ 50mm 1.2L II / 24-70 2.8L Mark II Sold:cry: / Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II SOLD!:(

TC_Fenua
682 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 22, 2009 19:39 |  #33

Reminds me so much of this (external link) ...
I won't touch that brand even with a 10' pole knowing how lucky I am with new gear ( I'm a magnet for lemons , go figure :( ).
Good luck with your replacement 70-200 , hope it'll work well :D

Teva , my Flickr (external link)
MataReva Photography (external link)
I suck at photography , but at least I'm having fun doing it :D

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 22, 2009 20:12 |  #34

It's always interesting to see how many lemon's one person goes through, it seems crazy. I'm 2 for 3. a 70-300 used was fine, my 30/1.4 is my go to lens, and a 70-200/2.8 macro I returned.

It *seemed* to FF/BF (can't remember which) a bit, but the main reason for a return and not a swap was it was the first time having a 70-200 lens.. and I wasn't a fan, heh. Opted for a tokina 50-135 because I like the images over it's main competitor the 50-150 (and at the time, the tripod mount).

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 22, 2009 21:26 |  #35

I have a fair selection of different Sigma's and have never had a bad copy yet. Maybe the Canadian Distributor checks them before shipping ;-)a

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

TC_Fenua
682 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 22, 2009 21:29 |  #36

Hmm , let's see ... I think I'm about at a 6/13 ratio so far , pretty nasty luck , huh ? :D ( never had troubles with Canon or Nikon so far *knocks on wood* )

PS: my wallet is flat .

Teva , my Flickr (external link)
MataReva Photography (external link)
I suck at photography , but at least I'm having fun doing it :D

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 22, 2009 21:48 |  #37

Evan Idler wrote in post #8692250 (external link)
I have a fair selection of different Sigma's and have never had a bad copy yet. Maybe the Canadian Distributor checks them before shipping ;-)a

--Evan

No as stated before...

I've had the following:

Sigma 28-85 [Ai-S manual focus Nikon mount...There was a severe focus accuracy issue with this lens in low light conditions on my N70...Worked a lot better on my buddy's FG...;)]

Sigma 15-30 [EOS mount] Excellent lens, no focus problems and my copy was very sharp..

Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 Macro [EOS Mount] Another excellent lens, no focus issues, Returned it because the previous owner broke the AF/MF clutch :( I kinda regret not just keeping it because i loved it otherwise [Maybe just shoulda sent it to Sigma for repairs]

Sigma 10-20 [EOS Mount] Excellent lens, No focus/centering issues and my copy is again, very sharp..

Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro [EOS Mount] Another excellent lens, Tack sharp at every aperture i tried, and the AF worked fantastically...

And I've also handled and played with at least THREE seperate 70-200 f/2.8 HSMs in a store before and not one had an issue, Ok, I'll be honest, one was Nikon mount, But the other 2 were Canons, one was a Mark 1 and the other a Mark II....No issues -whatsoever-

So i find it baffling how people have gone through 7 or 10 copies of a Sigma and not gotten a good copy o_o

For the record, The only broken lens i ever got was a Canon..

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 22, 2009 22:06 |  #38

Owned one. It broke about 2 weeks after I got it (something came loose inside and the focus jammed) so I had to send it in to be fixed which meant I had to pay some shipping. Came back fixed and more accurate focus.

So, nice lens (the 24-60 2.8 ) but not an auspicious start.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 22, 2009 22:08 |  #39

The Sigma that I used to have was just fine. However, I am hesitant to push my luck, because of what I hear on this forum. It is too bad, because they seem like fine lenses except for the quality control. Er. . .

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 22, 2009 23:54 |  #40

Evan Idler wrote in post #8692250 (external link)

--Evan

I haven't had a bad Sigma lens.. Maybe Sigma send all their so-so and rejects to the USA because the market is so big thinking no-one will notice ;)

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

robonrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2009 00:11 |  #41

yogestee wrote in post #8692999 (external link)
I haven't had a bad Sigma lens.. Maybe Sigma send all their so-so and rejects to the USA because the market is so big thinking no-one will notice ;)

you need to come back home, they send all the duds to Australia:p... maybe it's economic sinking... I wonder what happens to the one I just send back, do you reckon they send it to be fixed or pass it off to the next sap till finally the get someone who doesn't know or care enough to take it back....;)

rob - check my galleries at http://hardlightimages​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
Zenfolio coupon discount when signing up - 93R-NCK-DUT

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 23, 2009 00:17 |  #42

I have my fingers crossed. My 30mm f/1.4 will be delivered this Friday.

It's not just Sigma lenses that have AF problems. I was 0 for 2 on my Tamron 17-50mm until I sent the second copy in for re-calibration. It also works much better after I switched from my old XT body to my current 40D and XTi bodies.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

jodelak
Cream of the Crop
8,463 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 23, 2009 02:13 as a reply to  @ shaftmaster's post |  #43

here's a test shot using sigma 50-150 under low light, long exposure (i think 6 seconds) and aperture is 3.5

all the lights in my dining is off and the only light available is the one coming from my living room (approx 15 ft away), and from the tv. this was taken around 10pm.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

... does it really matter?i see with my eyes, i shoot with my fingers.
My Flickr Page (external link)

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 23, 2009 02:51 |  #44

jodelak wrote in post #8688604 (external link)
I think its really more of QC issues. I know for a fact that a major part of a product price is QC (testing the product thoroughly). When a product skips a QC procedure or step, it has a big impact on the overall cost of producing the product, and it translates to a price reduction. And we all know that Sigma lenses are much cheaper than the Canon lenses. But this does not necessarily mean that the Sigma lenses are inferior to Canon's. I can attest that my Sigma 50-150 is tack sharp, fast and quiet, in all focal lengths.

I realize it's mostly QC issues... The 50-150 I tried was after the 7 failed 30 1.4's, and I just had to sigh (the camera store employee as well) at yet another failed model. Another thing is, he tried it on a 50D, which does of course support the micro adjust, and when it was sharp at close range, it wasn't sharp at infinity anymore. That's when I just gave up on that lens...

Sigma does carry a few great lenses in their inventory, but I don't think the slightly lower price (because they're not even that much cheaper) justifies the horrible quality control.
If you compare a 30 1.4 to a 35L, sure it's cheap, but if you compare it to a Canon 28mm 1.8, it's about the same price. Canon carries the brand name, so obviously you pay extra for that as well...

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

happy ­ hopping
261 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 23, 2009 03:19 as a reply to  @ post 8686768 |  #45

I was deeply disppoint on my rental Sigma 18 to 250 (it's a brand new demo unit). The CA is horrible, the image quality is poor. I took 300 photos, I delete more than 150. The aperture is very slow.

I contact my sales rep. of my experience, he told me that sigma can build a faster aperture lens, but the price would be higher, and he makes it clear that sigma is meant to concentrate on lower cost market, thus, slower aperture

sponsored links

5,728 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma again... sigh, will I never learn :-(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.