Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 23 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tori - Senior Letter man's jacket shoot -

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 23, 2009 20:52 |  #1

Tori is a Representative for my photography.

she and i have worked together like a thousand times now.. lol..

this shoot took a total of 30 mins.. we are like a good team now..

the hardest part was waiting for her to pick out her hair style.. (i owe alot of my marketing success to her, and her mother. so i treat her like GOLD.) thus the many many shoots with her..

anyways here is what we came up for her jacket shoot..

ab1600 @ 1/4 - 1/2 power.. PLM 86 silver with cover.

shot at about 5.6-7.1 iso 160

IMAGE: http://i33.tinypic.com/vy0b29.jpg

IMAGE: http://i37.tinypic.com/ayw0eo.jpg

IMAGE: http://i37.tinypic.com/2yjpsty.jpg

IMAGE: http://i34.tinypic.com/fuz71s.jpg

IMAGE: http://i36.tinypic.com/sq100o.jpg

IMAGE: http://i35.tinypic.com/30sw08l.jpg

IMAGE: http://i36.tinypic.com/nd6jhz.jpg

IMAGE: http://i38.tinypic.com/m7ul43.jpg

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

sponsored links
Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 23, 2009 20:58 |  #2

another awesome set phamster... i wish my pics looked like these

dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 23, 2009 21:13 |  #3

Awesome work man!

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

J.Bat
772 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 23, 2009 21:42 |  #4

By far your best work. I really enjoyed this set. What lens did you use?

5D 40D | 24L | 50 | 135L
twitter. @jbatphoto

rmr21
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 23, 2009 22:42 |  #5

Great shots as usual. LOVE #5!

royboy79
240 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 24, 2009 00:09 |  #6

Very nice!!! #3 is my favorite. Good work.

http://rhphotography.t​ypepad.com (external link)

korrektor
Goldmember
4,908 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 24, 2009 00:22 |  #7

cute stuff ;)
nice way to demonstrate the jacket when it's OFF the gal. those are not too flattering :)
clean, and well exposed. senior shots. yeah... ;)))

WEBSITE http://mikhaylovphoto.​com/ (external link)

tudragan
318 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 24, 2009 00:32 |  #8

nice work! i always like your pictures.

_Jonathan

Gear List
Jonathandinh.wordpress​.com <- check out my new blog

ALaS
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 24, 2009 00:41 |  #9

Dude, pham! Nice shots! Are you gonna quit Subaru and become full time photographer? I'm sure you can live off of it!

Best Regards,
-Ericson.
flick (external link)r (external link) | Gear -Canon 1Ds Mark II, 50L & 28mm f/1.8 for SALE!

jngo
526 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 24, 2009 02:52 |  #10

she really likes the hand on the hip look, doesn't she? she has a great smile

Slaterza
Goldmember
2,007 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 24, 2009 03:29 |  #11

Have to say I am not crazy about the first three I think it is the fact that the fence and barn are not parallel so if you straighten for the barn the fence will not be straight and if you straighten for the fence as you have the barns lines make the horizon look like it is off. That said I love the rest of them. Your PLM sure puts out a lot of nice soft light great job.

Sam Laterza flickr (external link) BLOG (external link)
Canon 50D, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 100-300, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 170-500, Canon 28-105, Canon 18-55 (external link)

Redfire_Cobra
872 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 24, 2009 07:57 |  #12

The lighting absolutely rocks on these! You have the PLM mastered for sure.....

One quick question though, why not expose for the sky? was it making the barn and the rest of the background too dark?

Canon 60D
Canon 50 f/1.8, Canon 70-200L f/2.8,
-Chris

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 24, 2009 09:27 |  #13

In the first few photos, are you using Gaussian to blur the background? It looks a bit over processed.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,642 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2009 09:40 as a reply to  @ Redfire_Cobra's post |  #14

I think Pham has figured out the right way to mix available and ambient. Theres a delicate balance between turning the fill light into the main light and having your subjects look like cut and past figures on a fake background. One thing that helps is he uses off camera flash that in most cases defused.

I really think that Pham does a very good job with these. Better than most. His posing though sometime not PPofA technically perfect really looks natural and I'll take natural every time.

Great job Pham and if you keep putting out this high quality work as consistently as you have been, you will be very successful. I just wanted to add I really liked the stuff you shot using available in the 85L thread. You really captured the feel of the late afternoon sun. The feel of those images far outshines any perceived technical flaws that some wrote.

Sometimes the mood and feel will always trump technique. Pham you had the frame of mind not to destroy that beautiful quality of light by blasting through it with an over fill. Sometimes the greatest gift a photographer can have is a sensitivity to light and like a great musician, to know when not to over play.

Keep up the good work ;)

phamster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 24, 2009 10:43 |  #15

airfrogusmc wrote in post #8701173 (external link)
I think Pham has figured out the right way to mix available and ambient. Theres a delicate balance between turning the fill light into the main light and having your subjects look like cut and past figures on a fake background. One thing that helps is he uses off camera flash that in most cases defused.

I really think that Pham does a very good job with these. Better than most. His posing though sometime not PPofA technically perfect really looks natural and I'll take natural every time.

Great job Pham and if you keep putting out this high quality work as consistently as you have been, you will be very successful. I just wanted to add I really liked the stuff you shot using available in the 85L thread. You really captured the feel of the late afternoon sun. The feel of those images far outshines any perceived technical flaws that some wrote.

Sometimes the mood and feel will always trump technique. Pham you had the frame of mind not to destroy that beautiful quality of light by blasting through it with an over fill. Sometimes the greatest gift a photographer can have is a sensitivity to light and like a great musician, to know when not to over play.

Keep up the good work ;)

Thanks AIR !..

Wow.. speechless..

Having done what most privileged mid aged individuals have done, (high school, college, marriage, getting good job in field that is fun exciting Subaru automotive, etc) -- after experiencing that for about 5-8 years now..

life becomes slightly stagnate… most break up the monotony with children.. ha ! but since my wife is so busy and just got her masters, I don’t want to impose….

So I pick up photography..

This journey thru photography has been a new episode in my life. Fresh, wonderful, and still a hobby to me.. right now I don’t view it as a job yet..

The biggest skills I have learned in photography is: using flash in manual mode.

I spent 2 full weeks in studying how to take photos with the flash off camera.. (shot at my lampshade in the middle of my living room to learn the effects of shutter and fstop, learning to balance out ambient and subject light, and adding in another light source.)

All progressions that photographers should learn at the beginning.

So during this I created some not so good photos and created some really cool photos.. and with the engineering background, I asked myself..

What made it bad?
What made it good?
If bad, why made bad? And can I countermeasure it?
If good, why is it good? And can I duplicated it again?

These are all things that struggled with in the beginning of this photography learning.. (still right now only scratching the surface..) but you have to have a structure, and this was mine..

some say I progressed fast.. but really I just shoot a lot and have been doing a lot of shoots this year. Of course I should improve over time, but because I shot a million shoots this year.. my learning curve over time went sharp.. but if you averaged out the quality over occurrence I think the ratio is average.

Also throw in good lighting equipment into the mix too.. (speed lights to Alien bee)

Anyways.. I just wanted to say.. that all of you are my peers.. and I try hard out there every time..

I don’t think of money as my objective.. infact it is the last thing.. i always think of getting the very best photos for me.. and if I can impress myself.. then I know the not so critical client will be more than happy.

phamster

Razeus wrote in post #8701122 (external link)
In the first few photos, are you using Gaussian to blur the background? It looks a bit over processed.

no photoshopping here.. just straight out of the camera. shot at f5.6 ish..

Redfire_Cobra wrote in post #8700714 (external link)
The lighting absolutely rocks on these! You have the PLM mastered for sure.....

One quick question though, why not expose for the sky? was it making the barn and the rest of the background too dark?

the sky was really dark and grey.. so i just exposed for the white barn..

ALaS wrote in post #8699709 (external link)
Dude, pham! Nice shots! Are you gonna quit Subaru and become full time photographer? I'm sure you can live off of it!

Subaru for life man.. ha ha.. thanks eric..

J.Bat wrote in post #8698896 (external link)
By far your best work. I really enjoyed this set. What lens did you use?

word on the streets say i use 85... prime.. i swear by using only primes..

Muskydave22 wrote in post #8698679 (external link)
another awesome set phamster... i wish my pics looked like these

dave

they will if you get your subject and ambient lighting balanced.. but it helps to have Tori in the photos too.. haha..

thanks everybody..

phamster

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

sponsored links

4,588 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tori - Senior Letter man's jacket shoot -
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.