Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Dec 2006 (Thursday) 16:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

COSTCO "ICC profile" question (printing)

doubledragon
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 21, 2006 16:22 |  #1

i read on POTN that it is helpful to download and install the ICC profile for my local Costco from www.drycreekphoto.com (external link) - i did download it but and I clicked it, a dialog box popped up and asked if I want to install the profile, so I choose to install it.
Now, this is gonna sound dumb: but how do I use it? and how do I know that it's working? I have Photoshop CS and I use Adobe Lightroom beta for most of my PP work. I just really don't understand what the ICC profile actually does. does it automatically do some color adjustment behind-the-scenes, or does it require that I mess around with it?

can someone please explain this ICC profile thing to me?

Philadelphia Wedding Photographer: Portfolio/Blog (external link)
Follow my Instagram, I'll follow you back (external link)
gear list

sponsored links
Billbo911
448 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 21, 2006 16:30 |  #2

doubledragon wrote in post #2430674 (external link)
i read on POTN that it is helpful to download and install the ICC profile for my local Costco from www.drycreekphoto.com (external link) - i did download it but and I clicked it, a dialog box popped up and asked if I want to install the profile, so I choose to install it.
Now, this is gonna sound dumb: but how do I use it? and how do I know that it's working?

First off, it would only be dumb if you didn't ask and just kept printing without the benefit of using the new profile.

OK, here is where doing a little more reading on your part is going to pay off.
Now that you have downloaded the profiles from Dry Creek, go back to their site and read/follow the instructions on how to use the profiles. Their documentation is easy to follow and can be applied to the "Soft Proofing" process whether you print at a lab or at home. The process, for the most part, is the same.

One thing to remember, if your monitor is not calibrated, you will not get the results you are after. You might get lucky and be close, but chances are, you will not.

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.

Dec 21, 2006 23:53 as a reply to  @ Billbo911's post |  #3

There is a great set of instructions at: http://www.drycreekpho​to.com …sing_printer_pr​ofiles.pdf (external link)

You can find your way to those after logging in to the Costco PhotoCenter. After logging in, underneath the "Your Account" heading there's a section on printer profiles. Following that link will take you to a section to "Learn More" and "Learn More" again. The final learn more will take you to the document I linked above.

I'd never used profiles for printing before, but have found it pretty easy to get a handle on. I've been extremely happy with my results. I picked up a 12x18 shot I took of all the grandkids on my mom's side as part of her Christmas present. It looks great!

I'm much happier with the look of the "luster" paper than the pure "glossy" look, but your mileage may vary.

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well) (external link)

4rgentum
67 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 26, 2009 14:02 |  #4

has anyone been able to obtain the ICC profile for Costco's new printers? Iguess they got new printers last month that are able to print 20x30

5DII //30D
canon 15mm Fisheye //16-35L //50 1.4 //85 1.8 //200 2.8L
3 EF-500 DG Supers //2 AB800s

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 26, 2009 20:13 |  #5

Put the profile where they tell you to, & then it's just Image> Mode / Convert to profile & select the Costco profile. When you save the file, UNcheck the save profile box.
Don't forget to check no auto adjustments before checkout. Mine has never turned auto on.

I love my Costco, but from what I've read, results can differ in Canada. I can even make a 100% 4X6 "proof" print & it will exactly match the days later color & exposure 12X18" final print. And I forgot to profile a print a week ago & couldn't see a difference between it & an earlier print.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 28, 2009 06:39 |  #6

4rgentum wrote in post #8713929 (external link)
has anyone been able to obtain the ICC profile for Costco's new printers? Iguess they got new printers last month that are able to print 20x30

This is correct... they got Epson wide format printers (damnit I can't remember right now if they are 7800's or 7880's!)...These printers are interfaced through a computer running Fuji MS01 software (which is horribad software btw lolz)...*yes, even if the costco has a noritsu photo printer*.

Now...you are welcome to have fun going nuts using ICC profiles to really try to get the best results possible....however...​keep this in mind folks:

1. The Noritsu or Fuji minilab gets re-calibrated every day during morning setup (well, this is assuming the op doesn't skip it obviously). The AOMs that control the lasers in these things aren't perfect either and they drift.

Edit: The guy above me is correct---assuming the OP does their job and you save your file in SRGB your results should be remarkably consistent. Not as good as you can get at home with a real fully profiled system (but who cares) or at a pro lab with the same, but *good*. This is why costco rocks for photo stuff. (Note: i do not work for costco even if it sounds like it lol). They make a lot of money off of photo and they *care* about your results. They take damn good care of their machines. When you go into a Costco you *know* the machine was calibrated that morning. You know the chemistry is good, the paper is name brand and always the same. Plus, you're using kiosks that we make, so cheers. :)

2. In most cases the machine DOES NOT READ YOUR EMBEDDED COLOR PROFILE and just assumes sRGB. Now, whether that statement is true for the Epson poster printer setup at Costco I'm not sure (would depend on the Fuji software that it's ran though)...i'll hafta ask the costco cto about that one...

amanathia.zenfolio.com

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 01, 2009 12:58 |  #7

I figured out my method through trial and error, but what works for me is exporting the file in Lightroom with the Costco colour space selected - ie... not sRGB, AdobeRGB, or ProPhoto.

I also add fill light to the final image before doing this export. I add about 20 on the slider. When I do this the images look EXACTLY like my monitor, and this consistently works for me too.

I figured this all out by sending them about 20 different 4x6 images to be printed out. I checked the label on the back of the photo to see which one was the closest to the monitor and I knew that now I had to edit the photos like THAT file.

Trial and error works great when a 4x6 only costs you $0.15!!!

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

SingingSabre
Goldmember
1,688 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 02, 2009 22:20 |  #8

I love Costco. When an image doesn't print like it should, they redo it. If it still doesn't work, they refund it.

They've even reprinted just because they cut the photo a mm off. I'm impressed.

sponsored links

13,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
COSTCO "ICC profile" question (printing)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.