Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Received and Tested... short review

ochong
33 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 29, 2009 15:19 |  #31

You know, upgrading from a 350D (4.5+ yrs old) really gives you a different perspective. The results look super to me.

http://www.bitartifact​.com/ (external link)
Canon 7D & XT ~ Canon 10-22mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 100mm, 70-200 f/4 IS ~ 580EX & 430EX

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,640 posts
Gallery: 1656 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 29, 2009 15:25 |  #32

reng2009 wrote in post #8728863 (external link)
I agree with you. I think my point is, whether the degree of noise in these pictures is acceptable or not is a matter of personal taste. It's a purely subjective choice.

I wouldn't shoot at these high ISO. Some of you will say it's better to get the shot at this noise level than not at all. Fine, if that's important to you, I can't argue with you. But for me, photography is all about aesthetics and the noise I'm seeing at 3200 ISO and above turns me off. It's not a matter of me being right or wrong, it's just my personal taste. I'm sure I'm not alone in this forum.

That's the beauty of "art". It's purely subjective. I, at times, would rather see some noise in some shots.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

SLC_Shooter
70 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 29, 2009 15:30 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

reng2009 wrote in post #8728863 (external link)
I agree with you. I think my point is, whether the degree of noise in these pictures is acceptable or not is a matter of personal taste. It's a purely subjective choice.

I wouldn't shoot at these high ISO. Some of you will say it's better to get the shot at this noise level than not at all. Fine, if that's important to you, I can't argue with you. But for me, photography is all about aesthetics and the noise I'm seeing at 3200 ISO and above turns me off. It's not a matter of me being right or wrong, it's just my personal taste. I'm sure I'm not alone in this forum.

Whats sad is its unacceptable to you like there are 1000s of cameras out there that do significantly better, when there isnt.

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 29, 2009 15:35 |  #34

SLC_Shooter wrote in post #8728946 (external link)
Whats sad is its unacceptable to you like there are 1000s of cameras out there that do significantly better, when there isnt.

Actually, I've seen pictures from Nikon D700 and D300 that look pretty good at 3200 ISO. But then Nikon was smart enough to stay at 12 mp.

SLC_Shooter
70 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 29, 2009 15:40 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

reng2009 wrote in post #8728977 (external link)
Actually, I've seen pictures from Nikon D700 and D300 that look pretty good at 3200 ISO. But then Nikon was smart enough to stay at 12 mp.

Exactly my point, not 1000s of camera's. You listed 2. There are MAYBE 3-5 DSLR's under $2700 that shoot acceptable-good images at 3200+, not 1000s. So obviously this technology is still being researched and improved as time goes on.

You're acting like there are at least a few dozen other camera's ar $1700 that can do amazing at ISO 3200+ when there isnt.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 29, 2009 15:43 |  #36

SLC_Shooter wrote in post #8729019 (external link)
There are MAYBE 3-5 DSLR's under $2700 that shoot acceptable-good images at 3200+, not 1000s.

*checks the serial on D700*

wanna bet? :lol:

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 29, 2009 15:46 |  #37

SLC_Shooter wrote in post #8729019 (external link)
Exactly my point, not 1000s of camera's. You listed 2. There are MAYBE 3-5 DSLR's under $2700 that shoot acceptable-good images at 3200+, not 1000s. So obviously this technology is still being researched and improved as time goes on.

You're acting like there are at least a few dozen other camera's ar $1700 that can do amazing at ISO 3200+ when there isnt.

I'm sorry if I gave that impression. It wasn't my intention. I know there are very few cameras that handle 3200 ISO and above well, and none on the Canon side. I would like to see a 10 mp xxD (or 7D!) that blows the Nikon rivals out of the water.

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 29, 2009 15:48 |  #38

jwcdds wrote in post #8728909 (external link)
That's the beauty of "art". It's purely subjective. I, at times, would rather see some noise in some shots.

same here, but NOT color noise:)

VictoRia:roll::D
Canon 20D,40D gripped,50D gripped,7D gripped
A flash for each^. 2x580EX II, 1x430EX II, 550EX
Bunch of glass.:)
Bunch of accessories.

mosesport
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 29, 2009 15:49 |  #39

I guess the bottom line is...for the people who have tried this camera out.. IS IT WORTH GETTING??

Canon 5D Mark II - Canon 50mm f1.4 - 2x YN565EX Speedlights - Leicaflex SL - Summicron-R 50mm f2 - Elmarit-R 135mm f2.8
---------------
Unparallel Photography (external link) | flickr (external link) | 5∞px (external link)

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 29, 2009 15:50 |  #40

1move wrote in post #8727880 (external link)
Hi everyone, So i received my 7D Yesterday and the site was down so I couldnt post anything.

Things I noticed right off the bat:
In comparison to my 50D it feels way more solid and rugged then the 50D, the CF card slot/door is a bit more solid, the ON/OFF button I feel works better in the new location. The Mode Dial is way better and a lot more firm. Live view is really nice with the level that looks like an airplanes gauge. However I found it tricky to use. The new in body flash seems to be well built compare to the 50D(or it might be my over excitement).

Worst and best part is the AF points. There is a lot to take in and it is very overwhelming at first but works really well once you figure it out. I am in love with it. The face detection system works really well as well I tested it out on my TV and some people walking by and it tracks really well.

Comparing the 50D @ ISO 2500 and the 7D @ ISO 3200 the 7D comes out a lot further ahead IMO.

The Bad:
Only one thing... Having so many AF points (while selecting the AF point) illuminates the entire view which turns it into a sea of red, not very happy about that.

I do not have a lot of time I will write a little more tonight and post some pictures as well.

Oh and It also has a Lens correction system where the camera has 25 Lenses stored and you can basically update the firmware from Canon as the new lenses come out or corrections for lenses are realeased. Something the 50D didnt have (at least I dont think)

25 lenses? that's it? is there a list of these lenses? it better include the new 100mm 2.8L!

What is the firmware on your camera, out of curiousity, since no one has mentioned this. Also wonder if they have a site up yet for it.

Bunch of accessories.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,640 posts
Gallery: 1656 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 29, 2009 15:55 |  #41

RiaGurl wrote in post #8729087 (external link)
25 lenses? that's it? is there a list of these lenses? it better include the new 100mm 2.8L!

What is the firmware on your camera, out of curiousity, since no one has mentioned this. Also wonder if they have a site up yet for it.

You can store adjustments for up to 25 lenses at any given time.

That said, I don't think I've seen anyone with 25 lenses in their gear list. At least not 25 lenses that they use with any regularity/consistency​. I doubt many use more than 10!

Besides, if you have 25 lenses that need adjustments.. perhaps the camera body needs to be calibrated by Canon. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

dmstraton
557 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 29, 2009 15:56 |  #42

reng2009 wrote in post #8729059 (external link)
I'm sorry if I gave that impression. It wasn't my intention. I know there are very few cameras that handle 3200 ISO and above well, and none on the Canon side. I would like to see a 10 mp xxD (or 7D!) that blows the Nikon rivals out of the water.

I've got a 21MP 5D MkII that probably matches the Nikon's FX at 12MP at 3200 and 6400, maybe giving up a bit at 12800 and above (which I never, never shoot at - and wouldn't with either brand). So that's not necessarily true about "None on the Canon side."

Despite this, the two companies approach it differently.

dmstraton
5DmkII, Zeiss 21 f2.8, Zeiss 35 f2, Zeiss 50 f2 Makro-Planar, 580EXII, Voigtlander Bessa R2M, Voigtlander 35 f1.4 Nokton

kompakt
232 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 29, 2009 15:57 |  #43

i played with a 7d today at my local camera shop..

i was disappointed with noise levels above 1600, i never expected this camera to have super super clean iso up to 3200 and beyond but for all the hype about this camera's ability to handle higher iso,i was alittle let down.

but besides iso performance..man is the 7d an amazing model!

canon 50D /18 -55.is/ 55-250.IS/ 50mm f1.8 II ( nifty fifty)/ canon 430ex speedlite/
Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 Xr Di / PSE7/ lightroom 2.0
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/32338546@N08/ (external link)

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 29, 2009 15:58 |  #44

jwcdds wrote in post #8729122 (external link)
You can store adjustments for up to 25 lenses at any given time.

That said, I don't think I've seen anyone with 25 lenses in their gear list. At least not 25 lenses that they use with any regularity/consistency​. I doubt many use more than 10!

Besides, if you have 25 lenses that need adjustments.. perhaps the camera body needs to be calibrated by Canon. :lol:

ok so the memory is for 25 lenses. the post sounded like there are only 25 lenses of all the canon lenses that are micro adjustable. that's still not clear i don't think???

EDIT: i didn't mean your post sounded like it, but the original post that i initially replied to.

Bunch of accessories.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 29, 2009 16:02 |  #45

kompakt wrote in post #8729141 (external link)
i played with a 7d today at my local camera shop..

i was disappointed with noise levels above 1600, i never expected this camera to have super super clean iso up to 3200 and beyond but for all the hype about this camera's ability to handle higher iso,i was alittle let down.

but besides iso performance..man is the 7d an amazing model!

How did you evaluate?
LCD?
Or did you use your own CF, take it home and evaluate the results?

sponsored links

18,862 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Received and Tested... short review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.