Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Received and Tested... short review

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,145 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 30, 2009 02:54 |  #61

jwcdds wrote in post #8728909 (external link)
That's the beauty of "art". It's purely subjective. I, at times, would rather see some noise in some shots.

underexpose by 2/3s of a stop ;).

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 30, 2009 03:25 |  #62

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8728223 (external link)
you get a new camera, PotN's down for the entire day, and NO DUCK SHOTS?! :rolleyes: :lol:

I know - terrible isn't it. Never mind, here's what you really want.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Reservoir_Dog
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 30, 2009 04:27 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #63

Have the impression that this 7d dont touch the d700's noise performance, but hey, why the hell did they choose that 7d to have even more pixels then the 50D???? :confused: :rolleyes:

jm4ever
848 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 30, 2009 04:46 |  #64

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #8732785 (external link)
Have the impression that this 7d dont touch the d700's noise performance, but hey, why the hell did they choose that 7d to have even more pixels then the 50D???? :confused: :rolleyes:

Why compare it to a camera that costs a $1000 more and is FF. Would the D300 not be a bit more of a direct competitor?

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 30, 2009 04:49 |  #65

1move wrote in post #8730850 (external link)
But with those additions it works :D

It does! Thanks!

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,114 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 30, 2009 05:05 |  #66

RiaGurl wrote in post #8729149 (external link)
ok so the memory is for 25 lenses. the post sounded like there are only 25 lenses of all the canon lenses that are micro adjustable. that's still not clear i don't think???

You're mixing things up. There are two different, lens related things that can be corrected by the camera.

Auto focus calibration, camera body
In case you think your camera body consistently focuses in front of or behind the subject, you can offset the focusing for all lenses the same amount. This doesn't need any memory for lenses, as it's the same for them all.

Auto focus calibration, individual per lens
If you get different focus results with different lenses, you can offset the focusing for a certain lens only. The camera can store such offset settings (micro adjustments) for up to 20 lenses. A lens combined with a telephoto extender counts as an additional lens. This is information nobody can provide the camera with from the outside, as it's used to calibrate a certain individual lens. You have to set it up using your camera and lens combination.

Lens peripheral illumination correction
When shooting jpeg, the camera can correct the lens illumination falloff in the corners (vignetting) directly when the picture is taken. How much a certain lens needs to be corrected is nothing you can set in the camera. Instead, the camera needs a database of the applicable lenses to compute the proper correction. When you purchase a camera with this function, it has a database installed already. This database contains about 25 lenses. If you own a lens that's not pre-installed in the camera, you'll have to connect the camera to your computer, run EOS Utility and use the function where you can pick database records for different lenses within that program and then transfer them to the camera. Select those lenses you own and use. If everything doesn't fit in the memory, delete such lenses you never use.

If you shoot RAW, the camera will not apply the correction. Instead, you can do the correction in Digital Photo Professional. With that software, you can do it already with older models too, like the 40D.

Anders

carshop
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 30, 2009 05:35 |  #67

Thanks apersson 850

ShawnSmugmug (external link)/Flickr (external link)/LikeMyFacebook (external link)
Canon 7D Gripped|Canon 20D
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS|Canon 24-105|Canon 18-135
Canon 580 EX II|Sigma 18-50 2.8
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 30, 2009 06:27 |  #68

Super clean..even clean is hard for any crop cameras. I guess you'll stuck with Xsi forever.

kompakt wrote in post #8729141 (external link)
i played with a 7d today at my local camera shop..

i was disappointed with noise levels above 1600, i never expected this camera to have super super clean iso up to 3200 and beyond but for all the hype about this camera's ability to handle higher iso,i was alittle let down.

but besides iso performance..man is the 7d an amazing model!

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 30, 2009 08:02 |  #69

RiaGurl wrote in post #8732276 (external link)
i don't agree about adobe not making later versions compatible.
So is it safe to say that, let's say if cs5 comes out in march2010, then a 1ds4 comes out in april, that the 1ds will not work with cs4. if so thats crazy.

are photographers with the latest equipment usually the types that would also upgrade photoshop every version, no matter what (and apparently the only way for cameras to work that came out after a release of photoshop?)

That's what Adobe hopes, anyway.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 30, 2009 08:04 |  #70

RiaGurl wrote in post #8729961 (external link)
that is if you have cs4, correct? is it correct that you need cs4 to read the 7d raw? will cs3 work? what i don't get and what sucked in the past is that adobe requires you essentially to upgrade to newer version for some cameras. i don't understand why they cannot make newer raw added cameras work within a reasonably recent version of photoshop. i think it's a conspiracy for more money. surely the programmers are smart enough. if other software vendors can handled older version reads, surely adobe could figure it out, but alas, they don't.

I'm using CS3 also. I plan to use the Adobe DNG converter and then process the .dng files, or possibly use DPP 3.7 for the initial raw conversion, save as TIFF, then process in ACR and CS3.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 30, 2009 08:14 |  #71

stsva wrote in post #8733341 (external link)
That's what Adobe hopes, anyway.

To give them their due, they did include beta support for the 7D in the latest Lightroom - even though that was released just two weeks after the 7D was announced. I was expecting them to only support it in v3.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

The_Terminator
178 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 30, 2009 08:19 |  #72

I'm sure that many people know, but it doesn't hurt to say it again:
Of course Adobe hopes you upgrade, but they don't force it by any means.
For newer cameras, simply convert your raw files to DNG, which is super easy and free with the Adobe DNG converter.
Then you can process them in earlier versions of PS without any problem, I think as early as Photoshop CS, but I'm not sure about that.
But you can definitely open them in ACR in PS CS3.

I only exist for your entertainment.

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 30, 2009 08:20 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #73

Wouldn't it be nice if the industry would adopt DNG as a standard RAW format... It's waaaay overdue. :)

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 30, 2009 08:32 as a reply to  @ District_History_Fan's post |  #74

It would be nice format, if that's how it works, but is DNG better than raw? Not sure I understand the difference, but are you saying I can take raw files, process them through a converter and then open that in camera raw?

It's nice to have the control of the various features of the raw dialog.

VictoRia:roll::D
Canon 20D,40D gripped,50D gripped,7D gripped
A flash for each^. 2x580EX II, 1x430EX II, 550EX
Bunch of glass.:)
Bunch of accessories.

puzzle
347 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 30, 2009 08:44 as a reply to  @ RiaGurl's post |  #75

As far as I understand things. DNG is the same as RAW only compatible with more software. I convert ALL of my Raw files to DNG using Adobe Bridge and save them to my hard drive. I then process them as DNG files using Lightroom 2 or photoshop. Before I convert my raw files (CR2) in Bridge I can't see the preview of my shots, once the conversion is complete I see the preview of my shots in bridge and can then Import them into lightroom. Its all relatively simple and quick.

Canon5D mkII | 50D | Canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon EF 85 f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex ii *2 | Elinchrom Skyports | Macbook Pro
http://www.paulwills.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

18,746 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Received and Tested... short review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.