Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F-Stop Tilopa **Great Bag**

FeedTheJoe
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 24, 2009 21:25 |  #151

JohnJ80 wrote in post #8704814 (external link)
I need to get a 1Dmk3 body, a 40D body, a 300 f/4, a 70-200, a 580EX, and a 24-105 plus some incidentals in there. Will that all fit?

J.

The ICU is pretty deep/thick it can definitely accommodate a camera w/ a battery/portrait grip. I think you'll be able to fit that gear in the ICU The pads are completely adjustable...

Gear: 50D | 10-22 | 50/1.4 | 70-200 F/4L | 1.4x | Gitzo 1541 Traveler | Calumet Ball Head http://www.flickr.com/​photos/25883430@N03 (external link)

sponsored links
Tumeg
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 24, 2009 21:25 |  #152

FeedTheJoe wrote in post #8704801 (external link)
I have been playing with my bag for a few hours. It feels pretty solid and it feels good on your back. So far, so good.

The ICU is pretty big. Here are some pics. (while you are in my Flickr, you might as well take a look around and drop a few comments... :)

Flickr (external link)

-Steve

From the pics, it looks like there isn't enough room, at ALL, to use this pack as a day\over-night backpacking, camera bag....

| Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 17-40MM F/4L | Canon 50MM F/1.4 | Canon 85MM F/1.8 | Canon 580EX II |

barrett14
793 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 24, 2009 21:32 as a reply to  @ Tumeg's post |  #153

with a full ICU, what else can you get in there? Is there room for a couple of books, headphones, etc... stuff you would take on an airplane or something?

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5D Mark III
24-105L, 16-35L II, 70-300L, 8-15L Fisheye, 50mm 1.4

FeedTheJoe
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 24, 2009 21:41 |  #154

barrett14 wrote in post #8704865 (external link)
with a full ICU, what else can you get in there? Is there room for a couple of books, headphones, etc... stuff you would take on an airplane or something?

Definitely. To get a good Idea, I fit a North Face Apex Bionic soft shell and a patagonia R2 fleece (Both size L & XL respectively) and was able to close the bag pretty easily.

Gear: 50D | 10-22 | 50/1.4 | 70-200 F/4L | 1.4x | Gitzo 1541 Traveler | Calumet Ball Head http://www.flickr.com/​photos/25883430@N03 (external link)

barrett14
793 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 24, 2009 23:39 |  #155

Gonna order this tomorrow as an "anticipatory" xmas gift to myself =)

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5D Mark III

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 25, 2009 08:51 |  #156

Which ICU did you have in the picture? IIRC, any of the ICUs can be added, correct?

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

DeaconEsq
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 25, 2009 09:08 |  #157

barrett14 wrote in post #8704865 (external link)

There's more than enough room for all of my camera stuff plus anything I'd ever want to take on a plane.

In addition to the sizable top compartment, the 'main' compartment has a decent amount of room on the sides and above the ICU. The front compartment can hold magazines and stuff for easy access.

I got the Tilopa, and it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

Cash_
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 25, 2009 09:28 |  #158

but its small enough to be used as a carry on?

DeaconEsq
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 25, 2009 09:47 |  #159

Cash_ wrote in post #8707015 (external link)
but its small enough to be used as a carry on?

The Tilopa (smaller one) is. Not sure about the Satori, as I've never seen one in person. Maybe someone who has it can chime in.

I can take a pic of my Tilopa next to a standard carry-on rolling suitcase when I get home tonight. That should give everyone a good idea of how it looks size wise.

Cash_
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 25, 2009 09:59 |  #160

ok good cause i just ordered a tilopa to use as a carry on, you made me nervous for a second.

dandig
346 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 25, 2009 12:16 as a reply to  @ Cash_'s post |  #161

Yep I have used the Tilopa as carry on no problems. I think the Satori would be pushing todays international carry on limits. Somewhere on the board here I posted a comparison shot of my Tilopa next to my Satori so you can get an idea of relative size. You can probably find it with a search i cant remember where it is. Also the new Satori is even bigger..... but i guess you could just not fill it but you'll certainly draw more attention with it from those pesky desk agents who like to weigh you carry on....

Anyway the Tilopa will be great for it.

DanCarrPhotography.com (external link)
ShutterMuse.com (external link)
My crazy gear guide! (external link)

barrett14
793 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 25, 2009 16:32 |  #162

dandig wrote in post #8708012 (external link)
Yep I have used the Tilopa as carry on no problems. I think the Satori would be pushing todays international carry on limits. Somewhere on the board here I posted a comparison shot of my Tilopa next to my Satori so you can get an idea of relative size. You can probably find it with a search i cant remember where it is. Also the new Satori is even bigger..... but i guess you could just not fill it but you'll certainly draw more attention with it from those pesky desk agents who like to weigh you carry on....

Anyway the Tilopa will be great for it.

does it fit under the seat alright or did you have to put it in the overhead?

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5D Mark III

jcothron
Goldmember
3,793 posts
Gallery: 398 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 29, 2009 10:58 |  #163

Hello all, I received my Cranberry Red Satori yesterday (with x-large ICU). I'll try to get a review/pics up in the next couple of days..although probably in a seperate thread. I'll link it here.

Initial impressions are it's built well, although not as large as I expected it to be.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 30, 2009 06:55 |  #164

Here's a question -

The TIlopa photos show some straps on the side that look like compression straps. Can these be used for compression to make the pack thinner when not as full?

Also, the dimension data on the ICU varies depending on where you look. What I need to know is will this fit a 1Dmk3 with an RRS L bracket on it without stressing the ICU?

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 30, 2009 22:20 |  #165

I know a lot of people are subscribed to this thread, so I'm putting a link to the review I posted here.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=760069

sponsored links

48,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
F-Stop Tilopa **Great Bag**
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.