Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

UWA or Full Fisheye?

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,840 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2009 12:10 |  #1

Hey all,

for travel if you have almost many lenses and then you have to choose one lens only between 2, what you will choose?

- Sigma 12-24mm

- Sigma 8mm fisheye

The lenses will be taken as wide will be Canon 16-35 and Canon 15mm fisheye, all lenses will be used on either full frame or 1.3x crop.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 01, 2009 12:15 |  #2

if you're already taking the the 16-35, I'd probably say take the fisheye

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 01, 2009 12:29 |  #3

But the 8mm fisheye is a very specialized tool. Not for everyone.

GEAR LIST

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 01, 2009 12:32 |  #4

Tareq,

If I were you, I'd just take them both out one day and run some tests. As you know they are VASTLY different in their framing, color rendition, and usefulness.

I own a Sigma 12-24mm EX DG and its one of my favorite lenses. But I have to say since adding the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 to my bag, I find myself using the Siggy less and less, even on my only current FF backs (which are my film backs) being able to isolate subjects that are close in a deep scene @ f/2.8 all the way up to f/3.5 is well worth the trade-off for me versus 12mm on the Siggy. Thats not to say I would ever sell my 12-24mm because, simply put there is no equal to the 12mm look for when I want it. But if I'm happy with cropping out the vignetting in a shot, I am more than ready to shoot the Toki on film @ 12.5 mm f/2.8. I just find the f/4.5 limiting creatively as of late. And for full-frame sharpness on my 12-24, I found I need to stop down a click or two... so technically in my use its been closer to a f/5.6-8 lens than a f/4.5-5.6.

As for the Sigma 8mm f/3.5, I tried it and didn't like it. I compared it side-by-side with my Peleng 8mm f/3.5 and found the Peleng 8 sharper throughout much of the frame (with the Sigma winning at the extreme edges only) and easier to focus than the Sigma because of its DOF range markings. (I essentially manually focus the lens based on DOF and shoot @ f/4 or narrower).

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,840 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2009 12:51 |  #5

shooter mcgavin wrote in post #8741413 (external link)
if you're already taking the the 16-35, I'd probably say take the fisheye

I am more with that idea, i feel i want to do that circle fisheye, but maybe some prefer ultra amazing wide angle over circle fisheye.

gasrocks wrote in post #8741515 (external link)
But the 8mm fisheye is a very specialized tool. Not for everyone.

Ofcourse it is, full fisheye, i will shoot some urban and cityscape skylines, so to have full circle buidlings in the frame can be interesting, at least i will have a use for that lens since 2006.

nureality wrote in post #8741540 (external link)
Tareq,

If I were you, I'd just take them both out one day and run some tests. As you know they are VASTLY different in their framing, color rendition, and usefulness.

I own a Sigma 12-24mm EX DG and its one of my favorite lenses. But I have to say since adding the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 to my bag, I find myself using the Siggy less and less, even on my only current FF backs (which are my film backs) being able to isolate subjects that are close in a deep scene @ f/2.8 all the way up to f/3.5 is well worth the trade-off for me versus 12mm on the Siggy. Thats not to say I would ever sell my 12-24mm because, simply put there is no equal to the 12mm look for when I want it. But if I'm happy with cropping out the vignetting in a shot, I am more than ready to shoot the Toki on film @ 12.5 mm f/2.8. I just find the f/4.5 limiting creatively as of late. And for full-frame sharpness on my 12-24, I found I need to stop down a click or two... so technically in my use its been closer to a f/5.6-8 lens than a f/4.5-5.6.

As for the Sigma 8mm f/3.5, I tried it and didn't like it. I compared it side-by-side with my Peleng 8mm f/3.5 and found the Peleng 8 sharper throughout much of the frame (with the Sigma winning at the extreme edges only) and easier to focus than the Sigma because of its DOF range markings. (I essentially manually focus the lens based on DOF and shoot @ f/4 or narrower).

I know all that, i just asked of what i have, and i can use both lenses ofcourse, but i don't want to carry 2, so i asked if someone has the option to choose only and only one, and i feel myself i want to go with fishy siggy for its circle effect which can be a fun sometimes in certain shots.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 01, 2009 14:07 |  #6

If you are looking strictly from a carry-ability perspective, the Fisheye wins out, its tiny. The 12-24 is a lot of things, but small it aint.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,840 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2009 14:22 |  #7

nureality wrote in post #8742139 (external link)
If you are looking strictly from a carry-ability perspective, the Fisheye wins out, its tiny. The 12-24 is a lot of things, but small it aint.

Yes, i found it small enough to carry it over 12-24

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
UWA or Full Fisheye?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.