Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Biggest Softbox for D-Lite mount ?

Ummon
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 01, 2009 14:20 |  #1

Hi

While trying to decide which flash head to buy in addition to my 2 D-Lites, I often read that bigger Softboxes could lead to problems with the plastic mount on the D-Lites. I googled a lot and read something about a destroyed mount after attaching a 5ยด Octa.

So I am quite clueless if I should buy another D-Lite oder if it would be necessary to buy the more expensive Bx400, which is quite difficult to get at the moment. I plan on using an 80x120cm oder 75x150cm Softbox.

So, I would be very happy if you could help me by telling which would be the maximum size of a softbox you would be comfortable using on a D-Lite for normal/indoor use. Thanks in advance

Mathias

sponsored links
tsaros
73 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 01, 2009 15:06 |  #2

i would be interested in an answer as well.

// Andreas.

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 01, 2009 15:09 |  #3

The Photoflex 5' octa has been mounted to my Dlite-4 for some time, and as far as I can tell, it hasn't blown up or anything! That's the 5' octa with inner baffle, outer diffuser, and a grid attached. I will say that it feels a little borderline and feels a lot more secure on my 600RX lights, but it's manageable on the Dlite-4.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 01, 2009 15:31 |  #4

LOL, that would probably be my 5' octa that busted the swivel mount off. :)
I certainly wouldn't recommend hanging a 5' octa or large box directly off of the D-Lite, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
I now use the Photoflex speedring with threaded hole, and boom arm, and Manfrotto 026 swivel adapter to mount the octa directly to the light stand. Therefore all the weight is on the box instead of the D-Lite.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Ring_for_Elinc​hrom_.html (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …vel_Umbrella_Ad​apter.html (external link)

I don't remember which boom arm I have, but Robert(TMR) has the same one and posted some pics on how to mount the D-Lite.

Edit: Ahh, here's the boom arm I use. It's actually a reflector holder, but it's heavy duty, and works great as a boom, so the octa can be tilted.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ble_Reflector_H​older.html (external link)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 01, 2009 16:29 |  #5

Randy, which octo do you put on the end of that $40 boom? Seems iffy to me without more details.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 01, 2009 16:50 |  #6

Mathias, I actually put my 53" octo on the D2 and D4 with no trouble. I have modified the lever adjustment on my D4 to use a Rockler woodworking lever instead. It's heavier and can put more pressure on the locking gears inside the Dlite mount.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,431 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 01, 2009 16:55 |  #7

Photoflex 5' octo is quite light. If you worried about the weight, get the photoflex speedring which let you mount the octo to the lighstand. So no weight on the strobe mount.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Ummon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 01, 2009 17:21 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #8

Hi

It seems that for the softboxes I intend to buy, there should be no problem - so I will go with another D-Lite and put the saved money in more accessories. Thank you very much for your help !

Mathias

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 01, 2009 17:26 as a reply to  @ Ummon's post |  #9

Be careful of overtightening the swivel mount and if you notice that it's slipping or you feel you really have to tighten it down then you can either mod the swivel mount ratchet handle or if you're using non-Elinchrom modifiers then you can get the Photoflex speedring which has 1/4"-20 and 3/8" tapped mounting holes which allow you to shift the weight from the swivel mount to the speed ring.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

shooterman
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 01, 2009 23:47 |  #10

hawk911 wrote in post #8743035 (external link)
Randy, which octo do you put on the end of that $40 boom? Seems iffy to me without more details.

Geoff, I know you know what octa I have, the Amvona. :) There's nothing iffy about the $40 boom. It's plenty heavy duty enough for the weight of the octa. It's certainly 1000 times more robust than hanging the octa off the end of a D-Lite. I wouldn't suggest to my worst enemy to do something silly like that. ;)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

shooterman
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 02, 2009 00:19 |  #11

hawk911 wrote in post #8743155 (external link)
Mathias, I actually put my 53" octo on the D2 and D4 with no trouble. I have modified the lever adjustment on my D4 to use a Rockler woodworking lever instead. It's heavier and can put more pressure on the locking gears inside the Dlite mount.

You can replace the lever with one made out of Lutetium, but that's not going to help in any way from keeping the crappy plastic D-Lite housing from cracking from hanging too much weight off the end of it. This is what happens to a D-Lite when it can't handle the weight of a softbox. It's been repaired with epoxy but you get the idea. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Randy

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 02, 2009 00:22 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Knowing how poor impact make their swivel adapters i would be very cautious hanging anything onto that reflector holder , let alone put anything alive under it with big Octa on it.

Regards
Paul L.

shooterman
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 02, 2009 00:31 |  #13

MR do little wrote in post #8745389 (external link)
Knowing how poor impact make their swivel adapters i would be very cautious hanging anything onto that reflector holder , let alone put anything alive under it with big Octa on it.

I'm not the least bit worried about it. Like I said, it's 1000 times more robust and stable than hanging a large softbox off the end of a D-Lite. There's nothing flimsy about it at all. And besides, when you order that Impact from B&H, what you actually get is a Manfrotto boom/holder. :) At least that is what they sent me.

Randy

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 02, 2009 00:51 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

If it doesnt bother you..., well one less thing to "worry" about i guess.

Regards
Paul L.

Conner999
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 02, 2009 07:11 |  #15

Looks identical to my DL after I put a Mola Demi on it. @#$%^

Nice lights, but construction of the mount dovetail (what you see in pic above) sucks. I did the Manfrotto upgrade to the tilt handle and that actually made matters worse -- leading to the break which was identical to what you see pictured (fixed mine with construction adhesive).

On a DL, the ONLY thing stopping your modifier from hitting the ground are the tilt handle tension and the two thin plastic edges of the mount - both of which have partially cracked in the picture.

On a DL, the mount slides and locks into a slot or dovetail on the body of the light. If you press in the right spot, you can actually remove the entire mount from the light body. Idiotically, the dovetail's female socket is thin plastic and the edges which hold the male part in place are also very narrow. Recipe for disaster.

If you lock the 'droop' of a DL by modifying the tilt handle as many do, all the tension from a heavy modifier (downward on front of light and thus upward on rear of light) is now taken up by the plastic 'lips' of the dovetail. In short, the rear of the light (and thus the dovetail) wants to rotate upwards (thus drooping the front of light/SB), but since the tilt and thus the male part of the dovetail is now locked solid, the two edges of the dovetail female socket take-up all the strain over two strips of plastic maybe 0.25 in width, say 0.125" thick and maybe 2" long (with all the force on the rear-most 1") -- the rest is history.

Think of the infamous DLite 'droop' with heavier modifiers as a fail-safe for the poor mount design.

Upgraded to the BXRi series - WORLD of difference in build quality and mount design.

I still use the repaired (and now likely stronger) DL with SB's, etc - including a 53" Octa with no issues - but I would NEVER trust a Dlite on a boom with anything larger than a small or Med SB.

Modifiers like the smaller Octa's etc are not very heavy (most of the weight being the mount) and their shallow nature puts what any weight right at the light face. With units like a BD, not only is there more weight, but it's shifted further fwd. Add a grid and away it goes.

The DL's are nice light quality and interface for the modest $$. As such, there is a tendency to want to stretch them in terms of mods used. Don't.

shooterman wrote in post #8745375 (external link)
You can replace the lever with one made out of Lutetium, but that's not going to help in any way from keeping the crappy plastic D-Lite housing from cracking from hanging too much weight off the end of it. This is what happens to a D-Lite when it can't handle the weight of a softbox. It's been repaired with epoxy but you get the idea. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

sponsored links

7,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
Biggest Softbox for D-Lite mount ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.