Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 08:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D pre-order thread

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 02, 2009 19:45 |  #811

ElmerJrG wrote in post #8750363 (external link)
You can find aftermarket Phottix LP-E6s in eBay for $40 with free shipping for two units and a charger. Apparently, the Canon charger will not charge non-Canon batteries without the chip. I have 4 Phottix BP-511As for my 40D and they've been solid but I'm not sure if I want a non-Canon battery on my 7D as it will not show power information and I kinda like the new battery info / tracking system on the LP-E6s. Canon ones sell for $70 a pop which isn't too bad compared to when the 5D2 was just released.

I bought one with the charger for $14 delivered. I'm only going to use it for emergencies (and when I first get the 7D while the Canon battery is charging). Sooner or later someone will figure out how to get around the chip just as they did with the Nikon EN-EL3e.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 02, 2009 19:58 |  #812

Canon ones sell for $70 a pop which isn't too bad compared to when the 5D2 was just released.

Amazon.com ... $50.69 for the Canon LP-E6. I just ordered one last night. Not great savings but better than nothing!

If I understand correctly ... the chip only tells you how much power is left? If you charge them before you use it, and carry a spare that shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

I'll get by with the two Canon batteries for now and then order a few of the off brand.

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 02, 2009 20:15 as a reply to  @ johneo's post |  #813

The "new" Circuit City is the same site as TigerDirect. My previous experience with TigerDirect is pretty poor, like they would ship a locked phone even though it says "unlocked" on webpage, or list the wrong frequencies, or never mention a phone is imported from other countries with no English manuals, etc.

The $50.59 battery on Amazon.com is from a store called "Big Value". And they charge shipping. I'd rather get the $59.35 one directly from amazon.com with free shipping.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

dinko
232 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 02, 2009 20:16 |  #814

got my extra canon battery from B&H for $66.95. I think what pushed me to get the canon one is all the people saying "you would spend $xxxx on a camera and lens and then skimp out on a battery" i don't think i'll ever need more than two for the type of shooting I do, but who knows. I'm not the type to leave my camera on while I'm not shooting. I have a few friends that do that and it doesn't make sense to me...

Canon 7D | 70-200 2.8L | 50 1.2L
DINKODESIGN.COM (external link)
- BRANDING | PACKAGING | ILLUSTRATION | WEB DESIGN | PHOTOGRAPHY

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 02, 2009 20:31 |  #815

dinko wrote in post #8750568 (external link)
got my extra canon battery from B&H for $66.95. I think what pushed me to get the canon one is all the people saying "you would spend $xxxx on a camera and lens and then skimp out on a battery" i don't think i'll ever need more than two for the type of shooting I do, but who knows. I'm not the type to leave my camera on while I'm not shooting. I have a few friends that do that and it doesn't make sense to me...

I do, especially with my Canon bodies. They turn themselves off after so much time (set in the menu) and wake up when you depress the shutter button halfway.

Flickr (external link)

Skippy29
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 02, 2009 21:13 |  #816

Thanks Amazon!!

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3419/3975337563_863b092033_o.jpg

"I'm like a Slinky - not much good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see me tumble down the stairs" -iKirst

joove
471 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 02, 2009 21:15 as a reply to  @ Skippy29's post |  #817

I am forcing myself to explore more uses for my EP1 in the meantime. Good use of time, no more checking status on circuit city, it will ship when it ships. And thats that!

Vamsi
Gear list

Danie24932
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 03, 2009 00:24 |  #818

You can find aftermarket Phottix LP-E6s in eBay for $40 with free shipping for two units and a charger. Apparently, the Canon charger will not charge non-Canon batteries without the chip. I have 4 Phottix BP-511As for my 40D and they've been solid but I'm not sure if I want a non-Canon battery on my 7D as it will not show power information and I kinda like the new battery info / tracking system on the LP-E6s. Canon ones sell for $70 a pop which isn't too bad compared to when the 5D2 was just released.

Theres no information whatsoever? or your just talking about in the menu? This is my first canon. I know with Nikon theres the meter on top and a more precise reading via the menu. Im guessing its a similar setup? Also i heard some where they were talking about the camera actually logging battery info and being able to tell if a non canon battery was used, so if there were any shorts it would void the warranty. Seems like crazy talk to me.

ElmerJrG
27 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 03, 2009 00:42 |  #819

Danie24932 wrote in post #8751423 (external link)
Theres no information whatsoever? or your just talking about in the menu? This is my first canon. I know with Nikon theres the meter on top and a more precise reading via the menu. Im guessing its a similar setup? Also i heard some where they were talking about the camera actually logging battery info and being able to tell if a non canon battery was used, so if there were any shorts it would void the warranty. Seems like crazy talk to me.

Same as Canons. There is a basic battery meter on the top LCD and percentage / shots remaining on the main LCD menu. Phottix does say that there will be no power information at all but I can't confirm that. Perhaps 5D2 owners using non-Canon batteries can shed a light on this.

moeronn
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 03, 2009 12:16 |  #820

I ordered one additional Canon OEM battery from Amazon and two non-OEM from Bargaincell (through Amazon). The non-OEM do not report any capacity to the camera and even causes a warning prompt in the camera when it is first inserted. Since these were bought as an inexpensive way to have backups to the two OEMs while using the grip, I'm not concerned about the battery level indicators not working.

flickr (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 03, 2009 20:25 |  #821

Danie24932 wrote in post #8751423 (external link)
Also i heard some where they were talking about the camera actually logging battery info and being able to tell if a non canon battery was used, so if there were any shorts it would void the warranty. Seems like crazy talk to me.

Crazy talk is what it is. There are too many neurotic people thinking that everything is a conspiracy against them. For the straight skinny, see pages 230 through 233 of the owner's manual. It is "optional" to register a battery with the camera to monitor its total usage and estimate remaining life. You can register up to six batteries and delete data for old batteries no longer used. If you use the battery grip with AA batteries, the logging function is not available. It is also not available for non-Canon batteries for obvious reasons. All this means is that you do not get precise information on the charge state of the Brand-X battery or its estimated remaining life.

The reason that I would stick with Canon batteries is that after-market batteries can't have the same form factor as the OEM battery so they might fit either loose or tight in the camera or grip. Also, it is a crap-shoot on the storage capacity and usable life of no-name batteries.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

Shawnwil
114 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 03, 2009 21:18 |  #822

Bill Boehme wrote in post #8755334 (external link)
Crazy talk is what it is. There are too many neurotic people thinking that everything is a conspiracy against them. For the straight skinny, see pages 230 through 233 of the owner's manual. It is "optional" to register a battery with the camera to monitor its total usage and estimate remaining life. You can register up to six batteries and delete data for old batteries no longer used. If you use the battery grip with AA batteries, the logging function is not available. It is also not available for non-Canon batteries for obvious reasons. All this means is that you do not get precise information on the charge state of the Brand-X battery or its estimated remaining life.

The reason that I would stick with Canon batteries is that after-market batteries can't have the same form factor as the OEM battery so they might fit either loose or tight in the camera or grip. Also, it is a crap-shoot on the storage capacity and usable life of no-name batteries. bw!

Yep, I've tried several of the no name batteries trying to save a buck.... to mixed results. I ended up getting the Canon batteries anyway. End result is I spent money I did'nt need to.

Gear List

darinf
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 05, 2009 10:59 |  #823

Yamaha451 wrote in post #8748826 (external link)
So I called Circuit City again, a different guy told me that "it looks like we got them in, but the receiving department hasn't processed them fully yet, so it will probably ship out Monday" I asked "can you confirm this? I'm getting a bunch of conflicting information." He says, "yeah thats what it looks like". Sounds like there MAY be hope. But judging from the past, don't get your hopes up.

TigerDirect or CircuitCity says they are not getting their shipment until October 31st! At least that's what the CSR told me. Someone else on another forum confirmed the same info too. Bummer. Not sure if it's worth the $255 Bing cashback to wait...

speedline_fc
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 05, 2009 11:16 as a reply to  @ darinf's post |  #824

I just called Circuit City and spoke to a guy named Eric.. real nice guy, but he said that they did get a shipment in that covered some of the pre-orders (not sure if I believe that). He said that about 100 backorders remained open and I was in that group. Then he said he was going to apologize for what he was about to tell me :cry:. He said that they were expecting another shipment of 400 units, but that wouldnt be arriving until 10/31. FWIW, I placed my order at around 1PM on 9/1.

At this point, I could potentially get my cashback on the same day I receive my camera. It sucks to wait, especially when you've "committed" to being an early adopter.. but like I said before, that $255 CB pays for my grip (which I should receive Friday) and an extra battery.. so I'll have to wait it out.

My Flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9822373#p​ost9822373

maximus96
561 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 05, 2009 11:58 |  #825

seems like all the Bing deals are dead right? finally convinced my wife that i need a second body. whats the best deal on a pre-order right now? thanks

Canon 5D III | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50L | 85L II
San Francisco Bay Area Real Estate Photographer - Sammy Lo Photography (external link)

sponsored links

161,706 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D pre-order thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.