Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 19 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 16:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F4 Dayton USAF Museum

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 28, 2009 10:24 |  #16

The F4 was equipped with a whole host of radar packages over the years. The APQ-99, APQ-120, APQ-102, APG-65, APG-76, etc. That's just a few of them. The big snout on the plane could house just about any radar package they could dream up.

None of them "cooked" other pilots. That's an old wives tale.

Gear List

sponsored links
UK_Tomcat_Fan
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Sep 30, 2009 00:56 |  #17

DOH! didnt see the E in F-4E!

Martin | GearList | Website: My photography (external link)
POTN Resident Jolly Roger / Super bug hater!

mhm2526
230 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 01, 2009 18:41 |  #18

Guys, everyone is correct here. I'm an old F4 backseater. The early models (B,C, and D) had no internal gun, but could carry gunpods on the centerline and/or the inboard pylons. This one appears to be a C model. The E model was provided an internal gun because, for among other reasons, the rules of engagement in 'nam sometimes made it difficult to employ the beyond-visual-range missles and even the short-range missles, so you needed a suitable weapon for an inside-a-phonebooth "knife fight." The radar could indeed burn a ground crew but not an airborne opponent. Our checklist showed a danger range for the radar out to (I think) about 200 feet, so we were not allowed to turn it on until on the runway. Thanks for the great picture of the old bird made under difficult conditions. The colors are right-on and the mkii made it super sharp. BTW, this one is loaded for bear - two 1000lb bombs on the centerline, heat seekers (AIM-9) on the wing launchers and radar missles (AIM-7) in the fuselage missle wells. Thanks again, Chris.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 01, 2009 18:43 |  #19

Welcome to POTN!

Thanks for the back(seat) story and thanks for your service!

Got any F4 images you'd care to share? Post 'em up...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 01, 2009 18:52 |  #20

The radar could indeed burn a ground crew but not an airborne opponent.

I asked my brother about this last weekend and he confirmed that the radar was "very" dangerous on the flight deck and not turned on until after launch and turned off before landing.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

mhm2526
230 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 01, 2009 21:26 |  #21

Thanks for the comments. The only F4 images I have were taken with a Canon A-1 back in the early '80s (Ektachrome, I believe). The interesting ones are of my jet sitting air defense alert in Germany, but I'm not too pleased with the quality - especially after seeing your and others' posts here. If I can figure out how to do it I'll post some of them and let you guys rip 'em.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 02, 2009 00:20 |  #22

mhm2526 wrote in post #8744565 (external link)
Thanks for the comments. The only F4 images I have were taken with a Canon A-1 back in the early '80s (Ektachrome, I believe). The interesting ones are of my jet sitting air defense alert in Germany, but I'm not too pleased with the quality - especially after seeing your and others' posts here. If I can figure out how to do it I'll post some of them and let you guys rip 'em.

Ah but first we DROOL...! ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Phenix3st
180 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 02, 2009 14:34 |  #23

cool picture. love the reflection off the floor too.

LA ­ Smith
403 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 02, 2009 22:31 as a reply to  @ post 8723714 |  #24

Try this link. It explains the gun-equipped F-4E and its radar.

http://home.att.net/~j​baugher1/f4_11.html (external link)

5D,20D, some lenses and stuff

sponsored links

3,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
F4 Dayton USAF Museum
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.