Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Oct 2009 (Friday) 10:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This should seal the deal for you 7d guys

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 02, 2009 16:11 |  #31

pcunite wrote in post #8747844 (external link)
I just love it how Canon and these people with pre-existing video production skills just act like it does not take much to make these videos. You will spend a fortune getting up to speed making video look and sound like this.

True, but the other side of that point is that for those with the skills and budget this is an incredible bargain compared to the equipment it took otherwise to achieve the film-like quality and use of assorted high quality lenses. For equipment costs of say 10 grand (and skills!) you could make a film-quality movie or documentary - I'm counting 7D, some lenses, quality tripod, mic, plus say a high-end Mac with Final Cut Pro.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 03, 2009 07:04 |  #32

samueli wrote in post #8747819 (external link)
I wouldn't be surprised. I could also see electronic picture frames that display short video clips in the near future.

Already here! When I was looking for an EPF for my Mum's birthday I encountered several that would play video clips. Don't forget, there are billions of phones out there that will do video

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

zaathrus
Pole Dancin' Hamster
914 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 03, 2009 07:18 |  #33

Don't forget that a video camera gets taxed differently* to a still camera (hence partly why DSLRs don't do long video clips...)

*based on what I've been told by the manager of local store

Joined the cult of the HAMSTTR :cool:
Flickr (external link)
Our Zenfolio (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 03, 2009 08:52 |  #34

badgerdid wrote in post #8747767 (external link)
Will we see the decline of the still camera in a few years if things carry on as they are?
Could you shoot a wedding like this then just grab the frames you want and print them out, no more missed shots?

i wonder

This has already started. A somewhat recent cover of "Esquire" magazine was printed off a video frame grab. But they were using a Red one.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 03, 2009 10:27 |  #35

Roy Mathers wrote in post #8747689 (external link)
Thanks, but I have a video camera for video - and I use my still camera for stills;)

Post some of your vids please to compare. I'd really like to see how much better your video camera is.

Transfer
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 03, 2009 11:35 |  #36

Outstanding video. This is exactly the type of thing I would do if I had the capabilities. 7D is definitely out of my price range right now though.

EOS 40D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8
My Flickr (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 03, 2009 11:38 |  #37

mikeassk wrote in post #8747606 (external link)
That is still a pretty big sensor compared to really expensive camcorders. And you cannot easily attach all your lenses to a camcorder either.
Im sold now, damn, I am gonna be broke as.

For an inexpensive 1080dpi camcorder the Canon Vixia hf200 has rave reviews. I'll buy a camcorder for my video purposes.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 03, 2009 11:59 |  #38

AlanU wrote in post #8753125 (external link)
For an inexpensive 1080dpi camcorder the Canon Vixia hf200 has rave reviews. I'll buy a camcorder for my video purposes.

that's not exactly the target of the video capabilities of these top end SLR's. At least, not from the excitement I've read for it. It's like a dirt cheap entry for indie type film makers. Those with the technical know-how and filming experience can really squeeze a lot out of a $3000 investment in just the camera and a few lenses.

Video in weddings is popular it seems, so for someone who already offers both, this might be a really good way to streamline their equipment while maintaining a very very clean redundancy system. Everything using the same set of lenses and batteries and memory? very nice indeed.

But once again, it's just a possible tool for folks to use. RED has their $3k scarlet that should be hitting the scene soon, which will be another option. The DSLR video has a huge drawback from the amazing quality/effects you can get... recording video ergonomically w/ it is damn awkward IMO, you need to have one of those mounts designed for video recording with an SLR.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,865 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 03, 2009 12:25 as a reply to  @ randomlinh's post |  #39

i was more impressed in what i saw in terms if image quality and color then the video functions itself.......guess i wasnt clear enough. the video function is cool and all,,but i probably wont use it and i was trying to get the point across about the image quality itself,,,,,didnt mean to start a video war,,in fact i wish videowasnt in cameras,,but it is, and i have come to accept it. im buying a 7d for iso capabilities,the new af system,weather sealing, and all the fricken cool stuff they added to this camera. im going to be digging the auto level system and the flash triggering system. i have a 580 and 2 430 ex's. this camera is going to make my life sweet,,,,,not the video,,,but its there so ill deal with it,,maybe:lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 03, 2009 12:31 |  #40

pcunite wrote in post #8747844 (external link)
I just love it how Canon and these people with pre-existing video production skills just act like it does not take much to make these videos. You will spend a fortune getting up to speed making video look and sound like this.

that's a good point. another massive learning curve. i think the inclusion of video is great. if you don't want the feature it really doesn't affect you in any way.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,309 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 03, 2009 12:32 |  #41

ed rader wrote in post #8753323 (external link)
that's a good point. another massive learning curve. i think the inclusion of video is great. if you don't want the feature it really doesn't affect you in any way.

ed rader

It surely must add to the price of the camera.

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 03, 2009 12:36 |  #42

-_- sike.

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 03, 2009 12:39 |  #43

Beautiful video. Very impressive. Nonetheless, I still have not even tried the video on my camera, so I don't lust after the 7D's "superior" video. I do, however, enjoy watching what talented videographers can do with great equipment. It is really quite amazing.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 03, 2009 12:41 |  #44

Here's my take. Love the video and very impressed with the clip. However, many of us capable/good photographers do not have the skills, tools and time to produce such a thing. But I bet we have a nice (HD) video camcorder to take videos for giggles. Me for instance, I'd ask my wife but she's busy most of the time. In fact, we have less than 2hrs of camcorder footage in a year.

Now, with the 5D2 or 7D, I can flip a switch and capture the few minutes like I used to without carrying another gear, backup another device... etc. As long as the video capture is as good, if not better than the camcorder, it's a big win.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 03, 2009 12:41 |  #45

Roy Mathers wrote in post #8753328 (external link)
It surely must add to the price of the camera.

i don't think much, and the 5d mark II is cheaper than the 5d.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sponsored links

8,467 views & 0 likes for this thread
This should seal the deal for you 7d guys
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.