Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 21 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 23:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Develops New Hybrid IS

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Aug 04, 2009 23:39 |  #61

When I took computer programming way back when, my professor told me that you should always be 5 minutes behind the new technology or you will pay crazy money. Makes sense.

Just to tell you how far back that was, we were using 8 inch floppy disks.

gasrocks wrote in post #8325931 (external link)
Why can't life be simple? I wish they would stop developing new things. How can a person ever keep up? WOW.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

sponsored links
trancerem
175 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 14, 2009 02:41 |  #62

i wish for a 24-70 is or 70-200 is II, but none of these is gonna be the first hybrid is.
as u might notice, the 24-105 4 is ( kit lens for full frame bodyes ) is dropping price, more, u have a money back of 100$ for a new one.
so, my bet is 24-105 4 is II. :)

Nikon :: D750 / 16-35 4 VR / 50 1.4 / 85 1.4 / SB900

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 14, 2009 02:54 |  #63

But there's nothing wrong with the current 24-105/4L IS, which is relatively new  ???

My bet's on an older lens, either 24-70/2.8L, or the 70-200/2.8L IS. I don't think it'll go on a prime, with the exception that it could find its way on the 180/3.5L macro or (less likely) the 100/2.8 macro. It won't go on UWA or a non-L lens, so that leaves the above two choices. And I think it would be more likely to go on a design that already has IS, so that leaves the 70-200/2.8L IS as my top pick for the new "hybrid" IS. And in the meantime, they'll probably tweak the design to reduce the number of elements, with a high likelihood they'll replace one or more UD elements with fluorite. You can see that the more recent 70-200/4L (IS and non-IS) incorporate fluorite in their design--this in part explains their superior optical performance compared to the older f/2.8 models.

Process of elimination.

Price changes are not really very good indicators of upcoming changes, because they often incorporate factors not related to a possible update--for example, Canon may drop price because of insufficient demand relative to existing supply, which may be what is happening if more people are choosing to buy the 5D2 without the kit lens than expected.

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,395 posts
Gallery: 578 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 14, 2009 18:18 |  #64

rklepper wrote in post #8401267 (external link)
When I took computer programming way back when, my professor told me that you should always be 5 minutes behind the new technology or you will pay crazy money. Makes sense.

Just to tell you how far back that was, we were using 8 inch floppy disks.

This is true..

Though with computers, and many other things, I've found that shooting for the middle ends up the best value..

I buy a computer and spec it out so its not bottom end, but its far from the top end, Sub-$2k...and i dont chinse on cheapo no-name parts or lower end parts [IE my current rig has a massively overspecced motherboard meant for gaming and heavy overclocking, But i chose it because its design also made it fairly reliable and stable]

Usually lasts me, Who is a picky performance guy with severe multitasking disorder about 3 years, and I spend around $1800 when i do so, So $600/year..

Comparison, I have friends whos parents will buy them a $600-700 computer every year, and yell at me and **** that i "waste money" spending more than $1000 on a computer..

Usually by the third year, my $1800 rig is still quicker than their brand new $700 one...

And my last $1800 computer i sold to a friend for $500 at the end of it, I got my money's worth in my opinion, And so did she [I offered it to her when she said she had a $500 budget, I looked at what you get for $500 and said "I have basically that in my basement, Except its got a faster HDD and FAR superior graphics and sound...."]

This one is halfway through my lifecycle, the Core i7s are very VERY tempting to me right now and I would like a new graphics card, But its also not deficient in any major way...I have a Q9300 at its heart and thats pretty potent, backed up with 8gbs of ram and a newly-done 1.28TB RAID 0 array....

I also have a 3 year old Samsung 50" 720p DLP HDTV I spent $1300 on, At the time, it was an $1800 set i got a fantastic buy on, I see very few in stores that compell me to upgrade, considering id want to get an LCD of the same size [or close, 50" is perfect for my viewing distance] and then id want a 120 or 240hz response rate, Adding that up its actually almost $3k for it...I'm actually fairly mad everyone killed DLPs so fast, because if want a TV bigger than 42" you're SOL without spending at least $2200 if not $2500 for one....

I just replaced the bulb in her earlier this year, and provided the color wheel and DLP engine stay OK I should easily get another 2-3 out of this bulb before I'll worry about replacing it

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 27, 2009 15:21 |  #65

Hoping for a 100mm Macro IS "L" series with the new Hybrid technology and wishing it'd be faster than 2.8, even just a third of a stop faster. This would be such an incredible and versatile lens, also would help if it would work with the 1.4 tele extender.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,395 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 27, 2009 15:41 |  #66

Jannie wrote in post #8533955 (external link)
Hoping for a 100mm Macro IS "L" series with the new Hybrid technology and wishing it'd be faster than 2.8, even just a third of a stop faster. This would be such an incredible and versatile lens, also would help if it would work with the 1.4 tele extender.

Making it faster would make it a lot bigger most likely or otherwise compromise it optically id imagine..

Theres few macro lenses in any FL faster than f/2.8

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 28, 2009 13:23 |  #67

Yeah I know, Nikon has a 105 micro f2.8 with VR for around $900, a friend got one and it's very sweeeeet. I can only hope for a combination lens that I could use for both portraits and macro which are kind of opposite ends of lens design but it's okay to fantasize and consider adjusting the differences in post production. The desire for faster is because so often I really do need it, not for macro work but everything else, it's the main reason why I buy primes. The other thing for me would be if Canon upgraded it's 100mm f2 to a L series, I could get very excited about that.

Ultimately my wish list line up, including lenses in my sig would be:

24L, 50L, 85L, 100macro, 135L, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8.

That leaves me planning for the 50L and possibly the 100 macro (hoping it an L) if they do make a new one with IS, otherwise I've got a 25mm Canon extension tube already in my shopping cart ready to buy if Canon's announcement doesn't offer up something desirable.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Deejayry
152 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 04, 2009 06:19 |  #68

Has there been any more info released on this new IS system and which lens it will feature on first.

i'm hoping to get a 70-200 2.8 L IS towards the end of the year, but if canon are making a Mk2 version then i might be tempted to hold out for a while until it is released.

50d & BG-E2N, 10d & BG-ED3, EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Pro, Speedlite 580EX II
Manual lenses: 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/3.5, 300mm f/5.5 & 400mm f/6.3
Flickr (external link)
Full Kit List

jayro11
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 04, 2009 07:55 |  #69

Deejayry wrote in post #8757187 (external link)
Has there been any more info released on this new IS system and which lens it will feature on first.

i'm hoping to get a 70-200 2.8 L IS towards the end of the year, but if canon are making a Mk2 version then i might be tempted to hold out for a while until it is released.

this seems like an old thread. pretty sure the hybrid IS tech is on the 100mm 2.8L macro IS that was/is being released recently!

I need all the help I can get...
About me/Gear list

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,395 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 04, 2009 11:04 |  #70

jayro11 wrote in post #8757400 (external link)
this seems like an old thread. pretty sure the hybrid IS tech is on the 100mm 2.8L macro IS that was/is being released recently!

Yes, this thread is pretty old, the 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro is a hybrid-IS lens

sponsored links

13,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Develops New Hybrid IS
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.