Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 28 Aug 2009 (Friday) 08:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brutal Friday Critique - are you ready? Well punk are you?

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 04, 2009 19:23 |  #241

Tigerkn wrote in post #8747555 (external link)
Good morning Scott - Are you available today?

QUOTED IMAGE

Tiger - thanks for posting -- this is a great shot. Love the color and certainly a lot going on here. I am out there shooting a lot of black and white now - but truly love color - this is an example of lots of interesting colors from the sky to ground etc --- the beauty of the land is brought out with dramatic effect.
In my quest of improving things - I am always looking at even images that I think are my best - and asking myself how I can improve or what will make them even a slight bit better-- this is why people hire us to shoot wedding for them, or buy our sports or landscape prints. Your image is well done - but after looking at it I immediately asked how could it be improved. On thing I could do was to pull it down on my computer screen cropping just above the bottom fence line -- to me that might work if you are ok with having the cattle so close to the edge of the frame -- maybe if you cropped the bottom-- because for me the fence line limits it a little then offer more sky (I have to admit I am a sky fanatic) -- just a few thoughts --
Great work! Keep on shooting - would love to see more of your work.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

sponsored links
stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 04, 2009 19:28 |  #242

Lightworks Imaging wrote in post #8747899 (external link)
Senior portrait, client loves it. Let er rip.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Eric - Howdy!
This is a cute and fun senior photo --- I think it works well for the location - the textures work well together -- the colors work to work against each other well - the shapes work -- my only question is on your clients pose - and it looks like she is slouching a tad -- The leg pose is interesting but might not put her at her best - this is hard to tell without other comparison shots. The slouching is alway something I am trying to get even my most comfortable wedding clients to improve -- I simply tell them to sit up a little straighter for me - or lean forward - chin up - etc -- overall this is a great shot - but maybe a minor lean or straighten and it could be killer.

Scott

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2009 19:29 |  #243

Here are some youth football pics from yesterday...overcast morning with 200mm f/2.8L

http://www.flickr.com …/13856117@N08/3​978750105/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com …/13856117@N08/3​979511264/ (external link)

THANKS!

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 04, 2009 19:35 |  #244

delmama wrote in post #8747996 (external link)
ok have a go at this one, im no pro but im learning!

delmama - baby feet are always super cute - this is an example of how these cute little feet are the photo. I have a hard time saying something other than good things about precious baby feet - but let me offer a few tips.
For me if I remove the feet I really do not know what I have - not quite sure what else is here-- where is it -- does it support the feet in this photo - not sure it does. Honestly I am not sure what is really happening other than the baby feet - the rest is a little up in the air for me.
So while I love babies and baby feet -- I am not sure this photo works well -- I think the black and white is perfect - and draws the attention to the feet well -- the rest of it may not work for me. For example I shot some moss on a log this weekend (long story) but the angle I shot it at - well simply did not work - I knew what was happening and what I wanted to say but I was so excited about the moment that I neglected to get the perspective so others could also be as interested as I was.
You have the right components but not sure they work well together -- so keep on shooting and experimenting.

Scott

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 04, 2009 19:39 |  #245

kelleystar27 wrote in post #8760353 (external link)
Here are some youth football pics from yesterday...overcast morning with 200mm f/2.8L

http://www.flickr.com …/13856117@N08/3​978750105/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com …/13856117@N08/3​979511264/ (external link)

THANKS!

Kelley -- first of all you are cheating! :) only joking -- but I LOVE the 200 2.8-- it seems like cheating many times with that lens attached - it really does rock!
These photos are great examples of sharp, colorful images - you captured the action well - and your combo worked well for you. Hard to believe this is overcast - you really did well. I am pretty sure it was not Michigan overcast. :)
Well done - thanks for sharing.

Scott

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2009 21:27 |  #246

stathunter wrote in post #8760414 (external link)
Kelley -- first of all you are cheating! :) only joking -- but I LOVE the 200 2.8-- it seems like cheating many times with that lens attached - it really does rock!
These photos are great examples of sharp, colorful images - you captured the action well - and your combo worked well for you. Hard to believe this is overcast - you really did well. I am pretty sure it was not Michigan overcast. :)
Well done - thanks for sharing.

Scott,
Thanks so much!! I showed the coach one of these today and all I got was "your camera takes great photos" :cry: Anyway, I was previously using a zoom (80-200L & 70-300). I used this lens yesterday to see if I could get sharper results and to see how I would do without my zoom. I had to move around a bit more but I think it was worth it (I also LOVE this lens). It's so much lighter too.
Would I get sharper results with a full frame body? I also LOVE sharp images!

Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate your comments and help so much :D

~Kelley

Kelley

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2009 21:29 as a reply to  @ stathunter's post |  #247

Scott...

P.S. overcast and cold Oregon morning :)

Kelley

djvkool
461 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 04, 2009 22:25 as a reply to  @ kelleystar27's post |  #248

Hi Scott

Thank for your time, please have a go at mine..??

1 week old Dachcs pup, 70-200 @ 2.8, ISO 1600, light is from 50w downlight directly above

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

7D | 100 2.8L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.4 | Tam 18-270mm | Tam 17-50 2.8 | Sig 30 1.4 |

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,064 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 05, 2009 12:40 |  #249

Many thanks Scott!!!

stathunter wrote in post #8760323 (external link)
Tiger - thanks for posting -- this is a great shot. Love the color and certainly a lot going on here. I am out there shooting a lot of black and white now - but truly love color - this is an example of lots of interesting colors from the sky to ground etc --- the beauty of the land is brought out with dramatic effect.
In my quest of improving things - I am always looking at even images that I think are my best - and asking myself how I can improve or what will make them even a slight bit better-- this is why people hire us to shoot wedding for them, or buy our sports or landscape prints. Your image is well done - but after looking at it I immediately asked how could it be improved. On thing I could do was to pull it down on my computer screen cropping just above the bottom fence line -- to me that might work if you are ok with having the cattle so close to the edge of the frame -- maybe if you cropped the bottom-- because for me the fence line limits it a little then offer more sky (I have to admit I am a sky fanatic) -- just a few thoughts --
Great work! Keep on shooting - would love to see more of your work.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 05, 2009 13:00 as a reply to  @ Tigerkn's post |  #250

Hello, so i would like to try this out. ^^

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/3856805621_8b73b8d979_o.jpg

Here is one of my recent works (from summer)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 09, 2009 08:14 |  #251

Well gang......I am free for the next few hours - I am editing photos and have calls with clients but then have to run out for meetings -- so if you want a little critique from Scott post a photo.

Let me first take a look and catch up with photos posted in a few days back.

Scott

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 09, 2009 08:25 |  #252

djvkool wrote in post #8761382 (external link)
Hi Scott

Thank for your time, please have a go at mine..??

1 week old Dachcs pup, 70-200 @ 2.8, ISO 1600, light is from 50w downlight directly above

Hi dj,

This is a tough one - first how can you not like cute puppies- I think this pup is precious - but for a photo critique it does not do much for me -- needs a little more "oomph" or something to take it from a snapshot to a something you would want hung on your wall.
In this day and age everyone has a camera - even if it is a camera phone or point and shoot -- so there is a lot of competition - and we need to keep reinventing ourselves as photographers and pushing the limits which separates the pros from those that simply take pictures.

Keep on shooting - but remember to think out of the box - know what the rules are then break them - shoot a ton and see what works for you.

Scott

Coppatop85
Goldmember
1,912 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Oct 09, 2009 08:37 |  #253

Here's 2 for ya!

IMAGE: http://www.coppatopphotos.com/img/v4/p399316798-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.coppatopphotos.com/img/v0/p307657342-5.jpg

5D3, lenses, tripod, and a flash.
Wobsite: www.coppatopphotos.com (external link)

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 09, 2009 08:38 |  #254

kokakaste2 wrote in post #8764902 (external link)
Hello, so i would like to try this out. ^^

QUOTED IMAGE

Here is one of my recent works (from summer)

Howdy koka!

First off I want to tell you that this is a good image - there are many very strong points to this image - I happen to be a fan of skies and this is a fantastic sky - it has a ton of great elements and is the drama in this photo. The lighting is well done here - you did a great job with fill flash and the colors are superb.

Now let me hit the critical element that keeps this good image from being great - with the angle you shot the girl - she looks like she has a small head and large body --- in my years of understanding women....this is a no no. They typically like to look thing and as beautiful as possible -- this image distorts her because of the angle of the shot and possibly the lens choice here. Most people look better when shot from above - it thins out their neck etc - your gal does not have any extra chins or anything but simply the angle distorts her too much - notice that her arms look very long in this photo because of the angle and lens.

Remember that it is small things that make a huge difference - making a small adjustments in the angle makes large differences in how things look in the image.

Scott

mosesport
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 09, 2009 08:56 |  #255

Alright, I'm ready for it, I think.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2578/3967480031_a6cfbfd0fe.jpg

Canon 5D Mark II - Canon 50mm f1.4 - 2x YN565EX Speedlights - Leicaflex SL - Summicron-R 50mm f2 - Elmarit-R 135mm f2.8
---------------
Unparallel Photography (external link) | flickr (external link) | 5∞px (external link)

sponsored links

128,473 views & 78 likes for this thread
Brutal Friday Critique - are you ready? Well punk are you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.