Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 05 Oct 2009 (Monday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon deal on BP511A. $9.95 each!!!

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 07, 2009 14:08 |  #46

Kudos to those who didn't take advantage of this and order 2-4 for their personal use. I hope those go through and the people who ordered 15-25 get canceled.

Why abuse it? It's the huge orders that will cause adorama to not honor any.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

sponsored links
bwilking
282 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2009 14:17 as a reply to  @ CosmoKid's post |  #47

That's completely untrue. If adorama notices it they're all getting cancelled, regardless. Quantities won't matter, believe me.

You can't fault a college student trying to make a little money to pay rent.

Canon EOS M | 22mm f/2 | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | 135mm f/2.8 with Soft Focus

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 07, 2009 14:36 |  #48

bwilking wrote in post #8779088 (external link)
That's completely untrue. If adorama notices it they're all getting cancelled, regardless. Quantities won't matter, believe me.

You can't fault a college student trying to make a little money to pay rent.

Sorry, but I can. Not only are you abusing the system but even if this was a clearance item (which it isn't) you basically screwed anyone else on here who may have wanted one.

And if it was a misprice (which it was) and Adorama decided to honor it you are knowingly taking money out of their pocket to make money on your own.

And believe me I know it wasn't only you. And I at least give you some credit for talking about it freely. I am sure 20 others ordered mass quantities and didn't post it.

Gear/Feedback

bwilking
282 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2009 14:45 |  #49

CosmoKid wrote in post #8779195 (external link)
you basically screwed anyone else on here who may have wanted one.

The thing is though, the item was never listed as out of stock. Adorama reports the quantity to Amazon when they list the item- there were plenty available, even when they noticed the error and fixed it. So the limiting factor on people getting them was time, not stock on hand.

When you sell something, you are responsible for setting the price. In this case the price was very low, and was almost definetely a mistake. If they choose to do so, they are free to refuse to honor that price. And I will be dissapointed, but fine with that. Im not going to send them an email demanding they honor my order.

But if they make a mistake and offer something very cheap, and they still follow through with it, why not let them?

mikejet
THREAD ­ STARTER
573 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 07, 2009 15:03 |  #50

bwilking wrote in post #8779245 (external link)
The thing is though, the item was never listed as out of stock. Adorama reports the quantity to Amazon when they list the item- there were plenty available, even when they noticed the error and fixed it. So the limiting factor on people getting them was time, not stock on hand.

When you sell something, you are responsible for setting the price. In this case the price was very low, and was almost definetely a mistake. If they choose to do so, they are free to refuse to honor that price. And I will be dissapointed, but fine with that. Im not going to send them an email demanding they honor my order.

But if they make a mistake and offer something very cheap, and they still follow through with it, why not let them?

Yeah it's like walking into a store and merchandise has been mislabeled. The store has to sell them at that price because in most states, it's the law. There are exceptions but most of the time you have to sell it at that price.

Like selling an item on eBay. Lets say you list it with no reserve. No bids until the end and it's grossly under what you wanted. Sucks. It's your fault.

Gear: S95 - Canon 50D - Canon 50mm 1.4 - BG-E2N Grip - R4 Rstrap - 200DG
molitrato.com (external link)
My flickr! (external link)
My feedback!

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 07, 2009 15:21 |  #51

bwilking wrote in post #8779245 (external link)

If something is priced so low that you know it is an obvious mistake and try to take advantage by placing a huge order to make money on it, you are trying to "dupe" the system.

I have 0 problems with people ordering for personal use. But the mass orders to make money that you know will come directly out of a vendors pocket is wrong.

Gear/Feedback

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 07, 2009 15:25 |  #52

mikejet wrote in post #8779357 (external link)
Yeah it's like walking into a store and merchandise has been mislabeled. The store has to sell them at that price because in most states, it's the law. There are exceptions but most of the time you have to sell it at that price.

Like selling an item on eBay. Lets say you list it with no reserve. No bids until the end and it's grossly under what you wanted. Sucks. It's your fault.

Actually, I don't know the law in every state, but items mispriced at stores absolutely do not have to be sold for that price. An in-store ad is not an offer to buy and the store is under no contractual obligation to sell it to you for that price.

Now, MOST stores will honor the price for the customer service aspect. But believe me, if you clear the rack and walk up to the register with 25 of them, they surely won't.

And please don't compare it to eBay...totally different things.

Gear/Feedback

bwilking
282 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2009 16:55 as a reply to  @ CosmoKid's post |  #53

If a store offers me a REALLY good deal on something, why should I not buy several and make a profit?

Am I supposed to be looking out for the store's best interests? No! Thats their job, as a business!

And thats exactly whats happening here. It started as a mistake. They know about the error. Now they have the choice and opportunity to cancel the orders. If they choose not to, then they have offered me the product at the original price.

Deciding to not buy several of them isnt taking the moral high ground- Im not doing anything "wrong" or "dishonest". I have no obligation to the store and Im not going to turn down an amazing offer.

Celtic ­ Tiger
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 07, 2009 17:11 |  #54

CosmoKid wrote in post #8779487 (external link)
If something is priced so low that you know it is an obvious mistake and try to take advantage by placing a huge order to make money on it, you are trying to "dupe" the system.

I have 0 problems with people ordering for personal use. But the mass orders to make money that you know will come directly out of a vendors pocket is wrong.

I don't know Joe, I think that reasoning is a tad inconsistent. If it's a mistake and you knowingly take advantage of the vendor, I don't think it really matters if you are doing it for your own use or to make a profit. The vendor is out the same amount of money if one guy buys 25 batteries or 25 people buy one battery each.

I bought 2. I thought it might have been a way for the vendor to expand the customer list with some surplus supply; but if that was the intent then they should have limited quantity.

Now...the court of public opinion won't likely rule until we know what type of profit bwilking is trying to make off his fellow POTN members. ;) Stay tuned...

flickr (external link)

bwilking
282 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2009 17:15 |  #55

Celtic Tiger wrote in post #8780166 (external link)
Now...the court of public opinion won't likely rule until we know what type of profit bwilking is trying to make off his fellow POTN members. ;) Stay tuned...

Oh Im not doing this just to take POTN for a ride! Never! Im planning on ebay. Ill list them here too, if anyone wants one. But it was never about screwing people.

Celtic ­ Tiger
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 07, 2009 17:22 |  #56

bwilking wrote in post #8780183 (external link)
Oh Im not doing this just to take POTN for a ride! Never! Im planning on ebay. Ill list them here too, if anyone wants one. But it was never about screwing people.

But I'm sure Mikejet posted this to take care of his fellow POTN members, which no doubt is where you learned of it. Now...I have no problem with a guy getting compensated for his trouble but....it sure would be nice to spread some of the wealth (not talking about me...I bought what I needed and don't need any more).

flickr (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 07, 2009 19:06 |  #57

CosmoKid wrote in post #8779487 (external link)

Joe,

Respectfully, I disagree with you on this one. If a company wants to sell a product for a particular price, and I want to buy two or one-thousand of those items, then there is nothing wrong with buying the items as long as the company is willing to sell them to me. Believe me, Adorama will (and should) review the order before sending it out. If they don't say anything, then they are willing to sell the items for that price.

If someone wants to resell a product, they have every right to do so. It is up to the buyer to decide whether or not they want to do business with the person reselling the goods. This is the fundamental and unchangeable rules of business. It is also exactly how wholesale and retail work. For example, is Adorama wrong for buying items from distributors and then selling them for a higher price? Nope. And neither is anyone else...

Bryan

My Gear List

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 07, 2009 19:49 |  #58

Celtic Tiger wrote in post #8780166 (external link)
I don't know Joe, I think that reasoning is a tad inconsistent. If it's a mistake and you knowingly take advantage of the vendor, I don't think it really matters if you are doing it for your own use or to make a profit. The vendor is out the same amount of money if one guy buys 25 batteries or 25 people buy one battery each.

I bought 2. I thought it might have been a way for the vendor to expand the customer list with some surplus supply; but if that was the intent then they should have limited quantity.

bps wrote in post #8780803 (external link)
Joe,

Respectfully, I disagree with you on this one. If a company wants to sell a product for a particular price, and I want to buy two or one-thousand of those items, then there is nothing wrong with buying the items as long as the company is willing to sell them to me. Believe me, Adorama will (and should) review the order before sending it out. If they don't say anything, then they are willing to sell the items for that price.

If someone wants to resell a product, they have every right to do so. It is up to the buyer to decide whether or not they want to do business with the person reselling the goods. This is the fundamental and unchangeable rules of business. It is also exactly how wholesale and retail work. For example, is Adorama wrong for buying items from distributors and then selling them for a higher price? Nope. And neither is anyone else...

Bryan

I didn't say my logic was perfect. :) It just feels a bit dirtier to me to be buying up a boatload to resell than it would be to buy a couple or few for personal use.

I do think that the people who buy them in bulk are ruining anyone else's chances of getting one. Now if Adorama specifically stated they were clearancing these or doing a "deal of the day" I would be all for it. Buy as many as you want and resell them as much as you want.

Gear/Feedback

mikejet
THREAD ­ STARTER
573 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 07, 2009 20:18 |  #59

CosmoKid wrote in post #8779519 (external link)
Actually, I don't know the law in every state, but items mispriced at stores absolutely do not have to be sold for that price. An in-store ad is not an offer to buy and the store is under no contractual obligation to sell it to you for that price.

Now, MOST stores will honor the price for the customer service aspect. But believe me, if you clear the rack and walk up to the register with 25 of them, they surely won't.

And please don't compare it to eBay...totally different things.

When I worked retail we were required to constantly update the prices because items were sold for the price displayed on the item itself. So even if it rang up for a different price on the POS we were required to honor the displayed price on the item. Now if it were from an ad, we could display a sign by the register stating that the ad was wrong and the price listed there would not be honored.

I used eBay as an example because it is a seller listing it through another site not their own. The seller and buyer are entering an agreement. Now if they do not wish to send the product and cancel the order fine. But if they don't send the correct item I will be mad because it was advertised as a specific item and I would file a complaint.

Gear: S95 - Canon 50D - Canon 50mm 1.4 - BG-E2N Grip - R4 Rstrap - 200DG
molitrato.com (external link)
My flickr! (external link)
My feedback!

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 07, 2009 20:40 |  #60

bwilking wrote in post #8780054 (external link)
If a store offers me a REALLY good deal on something, why should I not buy several and make a profit?

Am I supposed to be looking out for the store's best interests? No! Thats their job, as a business!

And thats exactly whats happening here. It started as a mistake. They know about the error. Now they have the choice and opportunity to cancel the orders. If they choose not to, then they have offered me the product at the original price.

Deciding to not buy several of them isnt taking the moral high ground- Im not doing anything "wrong" or "dishonest". I have no obligation to the store and Im not going to turn down an amazing offer.

Maybe not technically for the store's best interest, but your fellow deal seekers. I was reading a thread on Slickdeals yesterday about some GPS' on clearance. Two guys arrived at the electronics counter and the first guy buys every one of the GPS' on clearance. The guy behind him only wanted one. He didn't ask the guy if he would spare one and I know I would have, but wouldn't you be irritated if you knew the guy in front of you bought all of the stock with the intent to resell? A lot of B&M stores have policies indicating they won't sell to dealers or will limit the number they'll sell so more customers can take advantage of the pricing.

sponsored links

8,337 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon deal on BP511A. $9.95 each!!!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.