Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D video and no continuous AF?

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2009 19:19 |  #1

Just received my 7D and total noob as far as shooting video on dslr. But after reading the manual, my understanding is to AF before recording, and then it's not continuous during the recording session? Is that right?

From 7D manual, page 156

AF mode. Note that continuous focusing of a moving subject is not possible.

Then how do I shoot a video of my daughter dancing or playing ball and keep her in focus?

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 07, 2009 19:24 |  #2

Time to get good at MF'ing w/ the back LCD. :lol:

Zooming & focusing at the same time will prove extreme difficult unless you've got the camera on a tripod. I hope you got the 7D more for shooting stills than for its Video capabilities. Even though there have been a number of great videos made with the 7D (and 5D2), it takes a LOOOOOT of work and additional gear and skill-set/know-how to make it happen. My hat's off to those who pull it off.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 07, 2009 19:40 |  #3

Yeah, I discovered this. It will definitely take some practice.

Also requires a pretty steady hand or IS to keep a good handheld image.

You CAN focus using the AF-on button, but it uses the contrast on the sensor, so while still pretty accurate (i find), it is slow.

Also, the built-in mic picks up USM and IS noises. And the crazy focus motor of the 50 f/1.8 :p

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 07, 2009 20:57 |  #4

mellofelow wrote in post #8780895 (external link)
Then how do I shoot a video of my daughter dancing or playing ball and keep her in focus?

Now you know the dirty little secret all of the slr video proponents aren't speaking about. Now you understand why 99% of the video's floating around from 7D/5D MKII are from a camera setting on a tripod prefocused to specific spot. Video on my 5D MKII is great if I can convince my daughter to stand still and not move, but if she moves around, well then you can forget about it. I'll get great some incredible 1080p footage of an out of focus subject.

I'd say get used to manual focusing, and looking at the LCD hoping that you are in the ballpark.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 07, 2009 21:34 |  #5

check out DVartistry.com. they are one of the best videographer I've seen.
I had a pleasure working with them in a wedding a couple of months back.
They use 3 5DII.
I ask them about the focusing...
basically experience is the key. Keep playing with MF and you will get better.
they use tripods, monopods, some sliding thing. and hand held as well...
Yes, basically they don't move alot.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 08, 2009 00:42 |  #6

f/8

Stuff

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2009 00:50 |  #7

jwcdds wrote in post #8780932 (external link)
Time to get good at MF'ing w/ the back LCD. :lol:

Zooming & focusing at the same time will prove extreme difficult unless you've got the camera on a tripod. I hope you got the 7D more for shooting stills than for its Video capabilities. Even though there have been a number of great videos made with the 7D (and 5D2), it takes a LOOOOOT of work and additional gear and skill-set/know-how to make it happen. My hat's off to those who pull it off.

Alot of those videos are done with primes i believe. And very expensive video equipment.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 08, 2009 00:51 |  #8

psxindo wrote in post #8781702 (external link)
check out DVartistry.com. they are one of the best videographer I've seen.
I had a pleasure working with them in a wedding a couple of months back.
They use 3 5DII.
I ask them about the focusing...
basically experience is the key. Keep playing with MF and you will get better.
they use tripods, monopods, some sliding thing. and hand held as well...
Yes, basically they don't move alot.

It is my understanding that you don't want to move the camera too much nor pan it too quickly as you'll end up with the rolling shutter effect. But it is what it is. I'm sure with subsequent releases in the coming years, the video aspect will only get better as technology improves. However, still photography is still my main hobby (not video) so I'd like to think I'll be keeping this camera for many many years. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Rendition
245 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 08, 2009 00:58 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #9

Like shooting stills, for video, when it comes to a large group of people, moving subjects etc, if light and style permits, I'd usually use manual mode and stop down aperture to get larger DOF. You don't really need to keep focusing. MF is a challenge and very fun.

(Link) Had a gig few months back, had my 5DII set up to 1/60 at f/9... I believe ISO was 200. (external link).

// visualverve (external link) //
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III + WFT-E2 II ❘ 5D Mark II
17-40L ❘ 24-70L ❘ 50L ❘ 70-200 f/2.8LIS ❘ 2X 580EXII ❘ 2X CP-E4
Elinchrom BXRi ❘ Velbon Neo Carmagne 640A

EmaginePixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 08, 2009 01:12 |  #10

The camera is absolutely for still photography. It's just that we (family) have a China trip next month. For the 10-20 minutes of video I'll probably shoot, will just leave the HD camcorder home. Now I'm not so confident about winging it with the 7D.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,718 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 08, 2009 05:10 |  #11

you've got at least 3 weeks to practice

Gear List

valoisr
252 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 08, 2009 10:03 |  #12

smythie wrote in post #8783227 (external link)
you've got at least 3 weeks to practice

I had bottom-lined my upgrade from my XTi to the T1i or the 50D given pocketbook and so many other parameters. This was befoe the 7D was launched.

Originally, I had narrowed down my choice to the 50D but by the time I was ready to do the the deed, the T1i was launched.

I considered all sorts of parameters and decided on the T1i. The package included 2 IS lenses and 2 8Gb cards. Other things being equal, I was swayed by the video aspect.

Wouldn't it be GREAT to take a short video of the B&G coming down the aisle ... what a neat surprise for them on the DVD that I produce ... the stills PLUS some video here and there ... WOW !

I tried doing the focusing for an entire week ... and gave up. Video absolutely MUST have AF just like camcorders and given the state of today's technology, it's simply beyond me why AF is not included on these cameras. And maybe that's just me :oops:. Anyway, I returned the entire kit and bought the 50D.

And that's my experiece. And maybe I should have been more patient ???

Ray

Canon 50D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-300mm f/4-f/5.6 IS USM, Canon 430EX II flash, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon S90 !!!, , Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax f1.4 50mm lens, MF: Pentax 645N, Pentax: AF500FTZ Flash, AF lenses: 45mm wide, 75mm, 80-160mm, Sekonic L-308B-II, PS CS2, LR2, PSE 7.0, PRE 7.0, ProShow Gold

Honeybee
428 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 08, 2009 10:11 |  #13

Study this: http://****/ydm8nwt (external link)

EQUIPMENT: Canon; lotsa lenses; a few lights; various modifiers of light; nerves of steel & time on my hands

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 08, 2009 10:16 as a reply to  @ Honeybee's post |  #14

As far as I've understood, professional video cameramen don't move the camera while shooting as much as the amateurs do. They also have handles and grips which allow easy manual focus while shooting.

But I'm no big video movie maker, so somebody else may know this better?

Anders

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 08, 2009 10:17 |  #15

valoisr wrote in post #8784200 (external link)
I tried doing the focusing for an entire week ... and gave up. Video absolutely MUST have AF just like camcorders and given the state of today's technology, it's simply beyond me why AF is not included on these cameras.

It's just the way SLR lenses and AF was designed. By making it fast and accurate for photography using phase-difference methods, it has made it so that it will not work well for slow, smooth contrast detect AF that video cameras and most compacts use. Also note that most compact cameras and video cameras have such small sensors and large DOF that focusing is almost unnecessary.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

11,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D video and no continuous AF?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.