Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 22:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F-Stop Tilopa Review

czar2000
66 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 06, 2009 18:38 |  #16

Do these bags(satory, tilopa) can stand alone? Any internal wire-frame?
How do you rate the outer fabric? Thick enough?

I can't wait to see other colors.

Gear list

sponsored links
robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 06, 2009 21:16 |  #17

czar2000 wrote in post #8773765 (external link)
Do these bags(satory, tilopa) can stand alone? Any internal wire-frame?
How do you rate the outer fabric? Thick enough?

I can't wait to see other colors.

I just received mine today...like 1 hour ago. I have the same color as reviewed above. Outer fabric is similar to normal hiking packs. Looks to be weather resistance through-out. I wouldn't run through a blackberry bush but the fabric looks to be thick enough for heavy use. The pack has a steel rod frame - looks to be 1/4" diameter. The pack can stand on its own.

ICU size looks to be a compromise for day use vice overnight use. Large ICU will not hold tons of gear but allows you to carry what you need - I am still playing tetris at the moment with my gear. I think the small ICU would be better suited for longer trips but minus extra accessories. MOLLE system use will be a must if going out for longer trips as there is just not enough internal room for 2+day use.

As to getting to your gear while wearing the pack? No I do not think so. The flap for the back is huge and unless your load is light it will not act like a fastpack. Of course this pack is not designed that way. It's designed more with the hiker/skier in mind. It lets you get your gear into the backwoods comfortably with some compromise to a real hiking pack.

Refractive Photos (external link)
Stuff that gets me the exposure
When asked if there were too many people taking pictures today, Elliot Erwitt replied, "All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper to write a novel, don't you?"

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 06, 2009 23:09 |  #18

ok, I'm in. i ordered a red one tonight. wouldn't you know it - now they are out of stock on red but black is in stock. when it comes to backpack roulette, I lose. ;)

my thinking on the red is that it looks a lot easier to find things in it in poor light than it would in the black one. at least that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

looks great and i'm excited to get it.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2009 01:37 as a reply to  @ JohnJ80's post |  #19

John,

As in the other Fstop post I am sure you realize they are getting another shipment in less than 4 weeks. Might want to email Ian on the status of that.

Rob

p.s Wife was like - wow you want to be found I see. I replied - DUH

Yes red is very very Red. Like, if you can't see this red your buried and well not visible. :D

When asked if there were too many people taking pictures today, Elliot Erwitt replied, "All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper to write a novel, don't you?"

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 07, 2009 09:38 |  #20

Where I will be using this, it's not unusual for my bag to tossed on top of a much larger pile of ski bags in a tent at a meet. Having something that sticks out a bit is a good deal.

Besides that, I've got a ton of other black bags. When I put a pile of stuff together to go on a trip, it's all black - hard to find what I really need.

You like the red? Work out well?

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2009 12:39 as a reply to  @ JohnJ80's post |  #21

well it will stick out thats for sure. It's not gaudy. I like it. Still have to take it out on its paces but overall I think it will work well.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 07, 2009 14:00 |  #22

It's bright but it looks a lot more like a regular backpack and not a camera pack.

j.

Obsessive Gear List

jubu
752 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 07, 2009 15:55 |  #23

JohnJ80 wrote in post #8779003 (external link)
It's bright but it looks a lot more like a regular backpack and not a camera pack.

j.

Another reason why I have to pick this bag up...now I just need to see real photos of the other colors to decide...:cool:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | My Flickr Favorites (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 07, 2009 16:30 |  #24

Here's the black (thanks to corosario) http://www.flickr.com …3/sets/72157622​449567296/ (external link)

Red is above.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

jubu
752 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 07, 2009 20:19 |  #25

JohnJ80 wrote in post #8779896 (external link)
Here's the black (thanks to corosario) http://www.flickr.com …3/sets/72157622​449567296/ (external link)

Red is above.

J.

Awesome...thanks! Time to order!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | My Flickr Favorites (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 07, 2009 20:25 |  #26

When I ordered yesterday night, they showed none in stock. I just got an email that my order has been fulfilled and that shipping docs have been sent to UPS. So, it's on the way.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

highv0lt6ge
126 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 08, 2009 06:55 |  #27

Still need to see a picture of the green one. Anyone??

Greg
Cincinnati Ohio
http://cincypics.com/G​reg/ (external link)
Canon 50D | XT
28-135 IS | 70-300 | 18-55 | Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

romeo26
159 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 08, 2009 12:21 |  #28

can someone lash on a sleeping bag to it?

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 08, 2009 13:28 |  #29

Check out the straps on the very bottom.

j.

Obsessive Gear List

romeo26
159 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 08, 2009 13:57 |  #30

all i see are the molle straps...

sponsored links

41,812 views & 0 likes for this thread
F-Stop Tilopa Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.