Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Removing smoke smell

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 08, 2009 10:50 |  #46

Okay, first let me state that I smoke... Just never indoors. I take it outside and have done so for 16 years or more.

With a few exceptions, everyone is missing the point here....

Even though I'm a smoker I would be very leery of a camera or lens that smelled of tobacco smoke for the same reasons I'd be concerned about one that smells of mold or mildew... It's the damage that's done over time as the smoke leaves a tar/nicotine coating on the internal mechanisms and electronics, optical surfaces, etc.

To illustrate what I mean, when I bought my house some years ago the previous owners had smoked in it. The entire house needed interior paint (although it had been repainted just a couple years before), but master bedroom was the worst. We ripped out the carpet (2-3 years old) and curtains and were able to remove the odor pretty easily... However the walls still dripped brown when we washed them with TSP. Even after several very thorough cleanings, it took 3 coats of special primer and two top coats of high quality paint to cover up the remaining tar & nicotine stains on the walls!

I saw this, too, when I sold homes. Smoking inside a home really puts people off, first because they find the odor objectionable but even more-so because it means a big cleanup will be needed to eradicate what's left behind even if the smell itself is gone. I'm sure it's just as bad with a car that's been smoked in for years. Cleaning the exposed surfaces only resolves part of the problem. There are still coatings inside ducts and behind the dash, inside door panels, etc., etc.

If anything, tobacco smoke residues are more insidious and harder to get rid of than kitchen grease, house fire smoke damage and certainly the occasional exposure to campfire smoke.

You can use all the remedies you want to remove the objectionable smell.... But that doesn't do anything to remove any residues that have settled on the inside of the camera or lens. You'd really have to do a complete teardown, very thorough cleaning of each part, then a proper reassembly of the item, to be certain.

Now, being that the OP's lens has only been in a smoking home for 6 months, there probably isn't significant build up or any real damage done. However, the buyer doesn't know that with any certainty... All they know is that the item came from a smoking home and that this the odor is a clue that it might have problems hidden inside.

So, really, the objectionable smell (to some... my brother in-law quit smoking 30+ years ago and still loves to get downwind of a smoker whenever he can) isn't so much of an issue in itself. That can be handled. It's more that the smell is a clue that there could well be deeper, hidden problems.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,234 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 08, 2009 11:03 |  #47

amfoto1 wrote in post #8784419 (external link)
Okay, first let me state that I smoke... Just never indoors. I take it outside and have done so for 16 years or more.

With a few exceptions, everyone is missing the point here....

Even though I'm a smoker I would be very leery of a camera or lens that smelled of tobacco smoke for the same reasons I'd be concerned about one that smells of mold or mildew... It's the damage that's done over time as the smoke leaves a tar/nicotine coating on the internal mechanisms and electronics, optical surfaces, etc.

Now, being that the OP's lens has only been in a smoking home for 6 months, there probably isn't significant build up or any damage done. However, the buyer doesn't know that with any certainty... All they know is that the item came from a smoking home and that this is a clue that it might have problems hidden inside.

So, really, the objectionable smell (to some... my brother in-law quit smoking 30 years ago and still loves to get downwind of a smoker whenever he can) isn't so much of an issue in itself. That can be handled. It's more that the smell is a clue that there are potentially deeper, hidden problems.

Well in my case it was all about the smell, but now I have a 2nd reason to worry about equipment that smells like an ashtray. Thanks alot! :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2009 11:50 |  #48

I was given a 40d from a friend and he is a pro smoker that dosent smoke for about 4 hours a day!!

the body stunk and it was only there for a month till he bought a 50d and sure I was pissed but in that case I got a free camera.

the smell is gone and so is that new camera smell but I would say if you sold it and did not say it was from a smokers home you should give him his money back.

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

DonW
53 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 08, 2009 11:59 |  #49

Being a chimney myself and having a lense that was shot for nearly two decades I doubt the fact that the inside of the lense was damaged or filled with nicotine. If you must kill the smell spray the inside of a cardboad box wet with ozium or frigifresh and set the lens inside dont spray the lens obviously. The ozium will kill the odor within a day or two. Fuming ozium has been used for years on antiques and is probably the only thing that works.

If they are not happy after the ozium I doubt it was the smell at all. Id just give the money back and move on.

Don

LamontSanders
894 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 08, 2009 21:53 as a reply to  @ DonW's post |  #50

2 things.

1. You should have disclosed, but it'd be such a pain to send it back and refund all that stuff that if I were him I would just work to get the smell out. If that did not work after a real effort, then discuss the refund. Buyer beware always applies, even here, which I think is one of the safest bets on Earth.

2. Quit smoking.

Good luck with both.

5DS R | 1Ds Mark III | Canon 16-35mm F/4L IS | Canon 24-70mm F/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm F/4L | Canon 50mm F/1.8 STM | Sigma 24-35mm F/2.0 Art | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 |
flickr (external link) | Old flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,234 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 08, 2009 22:19 |  #51

LamontSanders wrote in post #8787894 (external link)
2 things.

1. You should have disclosed, but it'd be such a pain to send it back and refund all that stuff that if I were him I would just work to get the smell out. If that did not work after a real effort, then discuss the refund. Buyer beware always applies, even here, which I think is one of the safest bets on Earth.

2. Ask your mom to Quit smoking.

Good luck with both.

Correction above, if you reread the original post. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

FreezeFramePhto
Goldmember
1,130 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 08, 2009 22:23 |  #52

Does he smell the lens while shooting?

I know in reality, the lens is close to the face, but come on.

Tell him to suck it up, and use the lens. If it functions fine, then theres nothing to be done.

www.freezeframe.photo

gcflora
"I'm not normal"
1,544 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 09, 2009 00:15 |  #53

2 things.

2. Quit smoking.

Good luck with both.

Should have disclosed? What an absolute load of bollocks! What next... you expect people to disclose what brand of laundry liquid they use? What camera the lens was mounted on? If they eat curry regularly (oh dear, the curry smell might become embedded). It is not the seller's responsibility to disclose such rubbish. If the buyer has a problem then it is their responsibility to ask before buying. So using your logic I should disclose to you that I eat curry 5 times a week just in case you're offended by the smell of curry? Grow up.

Edit: I would like to add that I am allergic to cats. Do you think that cat owners should "disclose" to me that they own a cat when they offer an item for sale? Of course they shouldn't. And it's no different to your implied notion that the seller should disclose that the lens may have been exposed to cigarette smoke.

Craig
http://www.australimag​e.com.au (external link)

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 09, 2009 00:44 |  #54

CountryBoy wrote in post #8779816 (external link)
That's very true . A computer tech told that is what led to my last hard drive problems. He said the "smoke" nicotine builds up in a layer, causing overheating problems. Even with an exhaust fan in the room . it stiil got in it.
I imagine it would do the same to a lens or camera. No doubt it could form a film on the inside of the glass also.

I can't think of how many computers I serviced over the years from homes where the owners just smoke away with the ashtray just inches from the intake on the tower.
In those cases, hardware had an extremely high rate of failure and the dust and various elements from the smoke mix and just cling to pretty much anything in side the computer.
The usual place was just to gum up the heatsink and power supply, which in the days before thermal shutdown and throttling protection, meant a dead CPU.

http://imraptor.devian​tart.com/ (external link)
Why yes, I am a jerk. Thank you for asking.

Kaigler
500 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 09, 2009 01:18 as a reply to  @ ImRaptor's post |  #55

I opened up a tv one time that had been in a smoking home and you would not believe the amount of tar buildup on the components. It is something buyers should be concerned about. And I'm not surprised the Aussie would contest, doesn't everyone smoke there? ;)

Canon 5D Mk III - Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC

gcflora
"I'm not normal"
1,544 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 09, 2009 01:37 |  #56

Kaigler wrote in post #8788893 (external link)
I opened up a tv one time that had been in a smoking home and you would not believe the amount of tar buildup on the components. It is something buyers should be concerned about. And I'm not surprised the Aussie would contest, doesn't everyone smoke there? ;)

You referring to me? :) I don't smoke, so not all Aussies smoke, LOL. But I still stand behind what I said. It is not up to the seller to disclose each and every potentially damaging condition that a lens (or any other item) may or may not have been subjected to! To say that the seller has to disclose that the lens was in a home where cats lived is absurd.

Craig
http://www.australimag​e.com.au (external link)

Kaigler
500 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 09, 2009 02:13 |  #57

gcflora wrote in post #8788941 (external link)
You referring to me? :) I don't smoke, so not all Aussies smoke, LOL. But I still stand behind what I said. It is not up to the seller to disclose each and every potentially damaging condition that a lens (or any other item) may or may not have been subjected to! To say that the seller has to disclose that the lens was in a home where cats lived is absurd.

You're right. No one should have to disclose that the lens came from a home with cats in it. That IS absurd. But smoke and specifically tar from the tobacco smoke can damage components and the odor can be very strong. It is not so crazy to be unhappy with a purchase like that. If you frequent eBay you will see that many people state right up front "this product comes from a smoke-free home"

Canon 5D Mk III - Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 09, 2009 02:14 |  #58

Bosscat wrote in post #8779668 (external link)
Put it in a box with some fresh coffee grounds, as thats what the spill on the floor and then sweep out semi-trailer vans with to remove any smell from the previous cargo.

I grew up on a tobacco farm, and thats how we got the smell out of stuff.

It also worked on a wooden cupboard we inherited - this time it got rid of mothball smell.

Gear List

weezerfan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 09, 2009 02:21 |  #59

Just started a new for sale thread about equipment. It now has a full disclosure. Equipment wasn't exposed for long. Mom doesn't smoke in my room and my door stays shut. Camera equipment was always in the bag, zipped closed.

With conditions above, it's safe to say, that it doesn't smell like an ashtray or bar. It just has a faint smoke smell, that I will be taking care of the best that I can until I sell the equipment again. Moving it to a friends house, who is a non-smoker, and sealing with baking soda. I just didn't think to offer the disclaimer, since I had sold other stuff that had came from the same environment. Completely my fault and I'm just as frustrated as everyone else.

To make things worse, I just bought a bike that was said to be in perfect condition, which it is. The only problem is, it only gets 20mpg. It's an'06 Ninja 636, so I've been spending time figuring that out as well. I notified the buyer, but as for now I'm trying to work on the problem myself, since I bought it as is. I was hoping the previous buyers would have done the same, but I can't blame them for not wanting to try. Just spent 5 hours taking off the tank and air filter housing to change 4 spark plugs in a space that is no bigger then a normal sized mixing bowl. I know all about being frustrated, and I''m much more frustrated with my camera equipment then my bike. Bike is rated to get 35-45 mpg, so I'm hoping just the changing of spark plugs and air filter did the trick. Crossing fingers.

My avatar is not my bike. That is my buddies bike, who helped me with the install earlier.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

My slowly improving flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735845

weezerfan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 09, 2009 02:29 |  #60

2 things.

2. Quit smoking.

Good luck with both.

To be honest, one buyer didn't even want to try after offering compensation, and the other buyer tried for a day. It was frustrating for me that they didn't want to try, but I also didn't have a disclaimer of the smell. I can see both sides of the street, and most of the time I work with what I get. I know the smell can be removed, since I've removed the smell before. Had campfire smell and it was gone after a couple of days with baking soda and febreeze. What can I say, I'm willing to try to make something work. Others want it to work first time everytime. Everyone is different.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

My slowly improving flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735845

sponsored links

20,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
Removing smoke smell
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.