Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 20 Jan 2008 (Sunday) 17:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smugmug or Zenfolio?

titleist981
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 26, 2009 22:03 as a reply to  @ post 6674864 |  #106

I have used both...and I must say I love zenfolio. It is much faster and easy to use. Plus by using this coupon KE7-3R7-HGP you can save 5 dollars off any account!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
trigeminal
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 08, 2009 20:27 |  #107

I also signed up for a trial account with both and I guess each has their pros and cons. I suppose it would depend on who is your target audience (family/friends or professional).

Zenfolio
- Ironically enough a family member actually commented on this sounding more professional; this thought never entered my mind because I would have thought features were more important but it might enter your clients minds
- Very easy to use interface with the ability to make the site look more professional without advanced coding knowledge
- Relatively fast
- Lower price on the various accounts
- Major con is the lack of video and that the "thumbnails" are a bit smaller
- Another con is that you can't have your family email you pictures directly to a gallery like you can with smugmug
- Professional looking themes

Smugmug
- Great if you have CSS/Coding knowledge as the site is fully customizable
- Thumbnails are a bit bigger
- Good iphone support with several apps
- Easy drag and drop on IE (though zenfolio has this too)
- Ability to upload videos; important if you are using this for friends/family
- Huge pro for me is that family can actually email you photos and they get uploaded in an "email gallery" you can later move around the photos wherever you like
- $20 more for the medium plan; but might be worth it if you upload videos as there aren't a lot of other photo sites that support this.

Both offer "unlimited" storage/bandwidth so it depends on what you like. I went with zenfolio in the end. If you'd like $5 off your account for the life of it please feel free to use my code (place this in the referral section):
9MS-YYH-CBP

For those of you using Smugmug instead I found this coupon code when I was considering using them:
MjmiE0xAHBhwQ
Same deal gives you $5 off for the life of the account.

jj ­ fad
769 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2008

Oct 09, 2009 08:14 |  #108

I have a question on this...

I've noticed that some of the address from zen and smug have the ".zenfolio.com" or ".smugmug.com"

Im getting close in getting my own website and might use either one of those 2.

Can my address be personal like for example www.jjfad.com? (external link) and not www.jjfad.zenfolio.com (external link) or www.jpetilla.smugmug.c​om (external link), if so, how? if not, then what do i need to do to make it like that?

Please let me know

Thanks

------- GEAR LIST -------

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 09, 2009 09:03 |  #109

Zenfolio Rocks! Very clean and user friendly!

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

Evil_Edge
314 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 09, 2009 10:59 |  #110

I chose Zenfolio :)

Gear List

equetefue
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 09, 2009 10:59 |  #111

jj fad wrote in post #8789814 (external link)
I have a question on this...

I've noticed that some of the address from zen and smug have the ".zenfolio.com" or ".smugmug.com"

Im getting close in getting my own website and might use either one of those 2.

Can my address be personal like for example www.jjfad.com? (external link) and not www.jjfad.zenfolio.com (external link) or www.jpetilla.smugmug.c​om (external link), if so, how? if not, then what do i need to do to make it like that?

Please let me know

Thanks

Yes you can, but you need to have rights to the name you want and set your hosting service to forward that name to your Zenfolio account.

I did it with my zenfolio. www.Photo-Galleria.com (external link)

http://www.Photo-Galleria.com (external link)

Powered By Canon
EOS R l 5D MkIV l 5D l 500mm f4 L IS l RF 24-105mm f4 L l 50mm f1.8 l 17-40mm f4 L l 135mm f2 L l 70-200mm f2.8 L IS l 400mm f5.6 L l 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 1.4x III l EF 2.0x III l 580EX II l Feisol CF tripod l Wimberly Head II with F9 Bracket l Better Beamer l GP-E2

jj ­ fad
769 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2008

Oct 09, 2009 11:11 |  #112

equetefue wrote in post #8790692 (external link)
Yes you can, but you need to have rights to the name you want and set your hosting service to forward that name to your Zenfolio account.

I did it with my zenfolio. www.Photo-Galleria.com (external link)

Oh ok... Thanks. So zen or smug will do those right if i get the package? or i still have to buy my own domain then pay another for zen or smug to host it?

------- GEAR LIST -------

equetefue
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 09, 2009 11:32 |  #113

you have to get your own domain and hosting site. I use 1and1, but heard GoDaddy is pretty good too.

http://www.Photo-Galleria.com (external link)