Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Removing smoke smell

gcflora
"I'm not normal"
1,544 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 09, 2009 02:34 |  #61

weezerfan84 wrote in post #8789060 (external link)
I just didn't think to offer the disclaimer, since I had sold other stuff that had came from the same environment. Completely my fault and I'm just as frustrated as everyone else.

Well good on you for taking the item back.

But why SHOULD you have offered the disclaimer? It's not your fault, it's the buyers fault. I keep mentioning my "cat disclaimer" suggestion example because I am allergic to cat hair. Cat hair can also damage sensitive equipment. I CAN smell (and get sick) if I get an item that was in a cat environment. Do I expect the seller to "disclose" that they have a cat? Of course I bloody don't. It is up to ME (the buyer) to ask if it was in that environment. If it was any other way we'd end up with Sell items with 42.8 million lines of disclaimers (e.g. "Oh, I ate peanuts once when using the lens"). You Americans do seem very self-centred: Oh, the seller must think of my circumstances... *cry*. To an outsider it seems very pathetic and childish.

Craig
http://www.australimag​e.com.au (external link)

sponsored links
gcflora
"I'm not normal"
1,544 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 09, 2009 02:48 |  #62

weezerfan84 wrote in post #8789103 (external link)
I just don't know anymore, to be honest. I have so much going on, it was easier to just take it back. They weren't willing to work with the remedies and compensation, so there wasn't anything I could do. Some people are just sensitive. By their names, culture wise, they are generally non-smokers. So when I received emails from both of them, I understood what I had on my hands. Their culture is generally very clean and well organized. Seen this with my manager, since his wife is of this culture. She's very intense with how she keeps her home. Nothing wrong with their culture by no means, but everyone is different. I'm just trying to respect everyone's wishes and get this equipment sold a second time.

Well, that is the right thing to do. I don't disagree with that :) I was only disagreeing about people saying that you should disclose.

Craig

segasaturn
849 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 09, 2009 03:08 |  #63

gcflora wrote in post #8788641 (external link)
Should have disclosed? What an absolute load of bollocks! What next... you expect people to disclose what brand of laundry liquid they use? What camera the lens was mounted on? If they eat curry regularly (oh dear, the curry smell might become embedded). It is not the seller's responsibility to disclose such rubbish. If the buyer has a problem then it is their responsibility to ask before buying. So using your logic I should disclose to you that I eat curry 5 times a week just in case you're offended by the smell of curry? Grow up.

Edit: I would like to add that I am allergic to cats. Do you think that cat owners should "disclose" to me that they own a cat when they offer an item for sale? Of course they shouldn't. And it's no different to your implied notion that the seller should disclose that the lens may have been exposed to cigarette smoke.

Gotta agree with gcflora. Seemed to be getting out of hand. What ever happened to "buyer beware"?

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 09, 2009 08:41 |  #64

I do think smokers (or those that live in a smoking environment) should disclose that tidbit for anything they sell... same with pet owners... I think they should, because that's the nice thing to do...

but this is also a used item... it's used, it's potentially been exposed to everything... the buyer should ask questions!
If it were new, refund, no doubt... used is used... does it work as advertised? was the deal completed as agreed? if yes and yes, Mr Buyer has a smokey lens...

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

weezerfan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 09, 2009 09:19 |  #65

SMP_Homer wrote in post #8789913 (external link)
I do think smokers (or those that live in a smoking environment) should disclose that tidbit for anything they sell... same with pet owners... I think they should, because that's the nice thing to do...

but this is also a used item... it's used, it's potentially been exposed to everything... the buyer should ask questions!
If it were new, refund, no doubt... used is used... does it work as advertised? was the deal completed as agreed? if yes and yes, Mr Buyer has a smokey lens...

Yes. Both buyers said items performed as they should, they just couldn't stand the smell. The smoke situation I couldn't help, but I never beat on my equipment. When not in use, it always had appropriate caps on and zipped up in my bag. Everyone is different, but both prior buyers were satisfied with the performance of what they purchased.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

My slowly improving flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735845

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,234 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 09, 2009 09:20 |  #66

gcflora wrote in post #8789090 (external link)
You Americans do seem very self-centred: Oh, the seller must think of my circumstances... *cry*. To an outsider it seems very pathetic and childish.

Wow, thank you so much for the stereotype. ???

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

captclick
95 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 09, 2009 10:20 |  #67

I take a crap in the same house my equipment is stored, should we disclose that also? Sometimes the odor lingers, never can be too careful about sensitive noses :)

Canon 1DMKIII : Canon EOS 40D : EF 24-105L : EF 70-200L 2.8 IS : EF 135L : EF 300L 2.8 IS : EF 1.4x II : 580EXII : Sekonic L-358 : Big Wishlist

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Oct 09, 2009 10:32 |  #68

The fact of the matter is.. you didnt disclose it. and you saying they arent even trying is stupid... its THEIR money, not yours. so refund it, and stop arguing that febreez, and baking soda worked on your smoke bag..

I am a non smoker, came from a house full of smokers, and i live in the boonies where i do have to build my own fires, and burn fallen timber in the winter. camp fire smells nothing like tabacco smell at all.

Give the person their refund, and list it on ebay or relist here.

While i did not read the whole thread. i read the first two pages, and you were still talking about baking soda, febreez, and it working from the campfire smell.

if you bought something off of somone, and it smelled like something died in the bag.. you would want a refund too.. that death smell is hard to get out of things.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,234 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 09, 2009 10:35 |  #69

Yup, the consumer is always right, as they say in customer service. But I commend weezer, especially after seeing the new sale post. Great thought went into that sale posting, and I even thought about buying the 5D, it is a great price! The rest of the replies here are just carry-over, weezer has moved on with the situation nicely.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,817 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 09, 2009 15:29 |  #70

TeamSpeed wrote in post #8780061 (external link)
I wonder what would happen if you put fish tank charcoal, rice, a dryer sheet and baking soda in a bag with the lens? :D

Is that like a super stinker taker outer, or would they all just compete with each other, leaving the lens alone?

You forgot to add Diet Coke and Mentos.... :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,234 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 09, 2009 16:12 |  #71

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8792118 (external link)
You forgot to add Diet Coke and Mentos.... :)

If I did all of that, I might have feds visiting my door, not something I want to happen again any time soon! :)

-OutofFocus-
113 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 09, 2009 16:31 |  #72

I use to smoke a while back. And I use to smoke a lot in the car. Whenever I cleaned the interior of the car windows there would be a layer of yellow brown on the cloth. I doubt some will hold their glass all the time while they smoke.

I think we as buyers should start asking these questions. A list of questions should be thrown at the seller even though the seller should be the one to disclose from the get go. But not everyone will see the significance of disclosing that they the photographer enjoys keeping a lit cig in mouth while shooting or the fact that the lens is stored in a smoking environment. The cooking smell doesn't damage internals unless you are frying the thing…I don’t like the smell of onions.

Basic body, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 L, 430EX. A 50D or it's replacement in the new year and a revived trigger finger.......would like to also add 135mm f2 near future (maybe)

gcflora
"I'm not normal"
1,544 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 09, 2009 16:42 |  #73

-OutofFocus- wrote in post #8792458 (external link)
I use to smoke a while back. And I use to smoke a lot in the car. Whenever I cleaned the interior of the car windows there would be a layer of yellow brown on the cloth. I doubt some will hold their glass all the time while they smoke.

I think we as buyers should start asking these questions. A list of questions should be thrown at the seller even though the seller should be the one to disclose from the get go. But not everyone will see the significance of disclosing that they the photographer enjoys keeping a lit cig in mouth while shooting or the fact that the lens is stored in a smoking environment. The cooking smell doesn't damage internals unless you are frying the thing…I don’t like the smell of onions.

I gave up smoking a while ago, but I like to keep a lit cigar strapped to my lenses with a rubberband while shooting to deter people from hassling me.

Craig

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,888 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Oct 09, 2009 16:52 |  #74

Bosscat wrote in post #8779668 (external link)
Put it in a box with some fresh coffee grounds, as thats what the spill on the floor and then sweep out semi-trailer vans with to remove any smell from the previous cargo.

I grew up on a tobacco farm, and thats how we got the smell out of stuff.

Great tip!!

TeamSpeed wrote in post #8779713 (external link)
When you grow up with a smoking parent, and everything you wear, breath, eat, etc. tastes like old cigarettes, well, yes, it is pretty disgusting. I equally love those that smoke don't realize how others that don't may feel about it.

I agree 1000%. Growing up, both my parents smoked, a lot! I didn't realize until high school that the smell also was all over me and my clothes, because I found out that people in my school thought I was a smoker because they could smell my locker down the hallway. Since then I've been very self conscious of the fact. And as much as I love to visit home, I really have problems because I can't wear nice clothes or jackets, because the first thing I have to do when I get back is wash everything, take a shower, and send my jackets in for dry cleaning. It also takes me 2 weeks to get my normal voice back, because the 2nd hand smoke makes me sound raspy and deep for that long ("This is CNN" ;)).

Also, when I visit, I keep my gear in my closed bag, in my own bedroom, closed door.

Btw, the people that I find who despise and whine about the smell of smoke the most (beside msyelf) are ex-smokers. :rolleyes:

EOS R - 50/1.8 STM - Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Sigma 85/1.4 Art - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Godox Xpro-C - Godox TT685C x2

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,888 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Oct 09, 2009 16:56 |  #75

You can also try wrapping the gear in newsprint... experts say it's one of the best things to use to absorb odours in shoes because both the paper, and the ink absorb surrounding scents.

Oh and here is something you can try... hunters use it to hide human scent... I use it in sneakers, and I think it might work for cig smells.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

EOS R - 50/1.8 STM - Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Sigma 85/1.4 Art - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Godox Xpro-C - Godox TT685C x2

sponsored links

20,618 views & 0 likes for this thread
Removing smoke smell
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.