Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Oct 2009 (Monday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moved to FF, still have crops, UWA options?

SlvrScoobie
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 12, 2009 22:20 |  #1

So ive long been invested in 1.6X with a 20D, 40D, and a IR converted rebel.
These cameras worked wonderfully on my 10-22 for a long time
However, In an effort to increase my photographic abilities i moved up to a 1Ds II.
Currently, I have the 10-22 and the Tokina 10-17 FE.
The fisheye is great and i like it for wedding receptions and such, and is fun to put on the 1ds cause i think the larger sensor really pulls out the fishyness of it, compared to the crop @ 10. I dont know why..
But, my fiancee just decided since she has no UWA for her 1ds, she would sell her 10-22 and buy a 16-35L I, and only spend about 300$
This got me thinking!
However, if I sell my 10-22, the only UWA id have for my IR (which is about 90% UWA shots...) is the 16-35 or 10-17 FE. and as much as I love fisheye, i dont think i want all of the REALLY wide shots to be FE. I dont think I can afford to get the 16-35L and keep the 10-22.
Llooking into my options, I found the tokina 11-16 2.8...which solves a lot of problems! Its as fast as the 16-35, works on the FF down to about 14mm, which is wider than the 16-35, and is cheap to boot!
So would this solve my problem? It would allow an 11mm for my crops, IR and 40D, And give me 14mm on my FF?
but honestly, how does the 11-16 compare to the 16-35 on the FF, thats the main concern..

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 12, 2009 22:45 |  #2

Not fast, but have you considered the Sigma 12-24? I've never used one but it's worth investigating.

SlvrScoobie
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 12, 2009 23:12 |  #3

yeah - but one of the main reasons i want the 16-35 is the 2.8, dancing shots in dimly light reception halls kill me @ 3.5, and @ 22mm and 4.5 forget it, i can barely see in the finder.
Thats why the 11-16 and 16-35 are up for contention. I *LOVE* my red rings, and being a CPS member it pains me to consider another tokina but if it gets the job done....just wish the tokina was sealed!

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 12, 2009 23:15 |  #4

SlvrScoobie wrote in post #8810928 (external link)
I *LOVE* my red rings

*sneeze*

if you need a 2.8 zoom get a 16-35mm variant. If not get either the 17-40 or 12-24mm. Also consider one fast wide prime for what you're doing (the sigma 20mm perhaps?) then one of the slower zooms for non dark duty.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

SlvrScoobie
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 13, 2009 09:40 |  #5

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8810949 (external link)
*sneeze*

if you need a 2.8 zoom get a 16-35mm variant. If not get either the 17-40 or 12-24mm. Also consider one fast wide prime for what you're doing (the sigma 20mm perhaps?) then one of the slower zooms for non dark duty.

What are YOU doing on this forum ;) lol
Well i think the 2.8 is a Necessary requirement.
Now its just a decision if I want the sealed 16-35L or the ultra wide crop lens, that works on the FF, that zooms in the wrong direction.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moved to FF, still have crops, UWA options?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.