Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 23 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recent South Africa Safari

wanyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 05, 2009 16:50 |  #31

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

joayne wrote in post #8743812 (external link)
Still waiting on more photos of the trip.......

I just posted a new thread "More from South Africa".

sponsored links
freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 06, 2009 09:13 as a reply to  @ wanyc's post |  #32

very nice, thanks for posting.

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

TiltShift
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 07, 2009 08:20 |  #33

Lovely set and thanks for sharing your travels.

As you asked for opinions on the editing in RAW i'd like to see a tad bit more on the contrast and vibrance to give the images a bit more "POP".

Here is a quick edit at work - monitor has never been calibrated so lets hope it looks ok.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

What do you think?

yonders
665 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 07, 2009 10:31 |  #34

wanyc wrote in post #8707353 (external link)
Thanks but it is an African Wild Dog pup. Btw, as far as I know there are no wild bears in South Africa.:)

Got totally fooled there. The animal sure looked like a bear; your reply made me re-look longer and closer :lol:

NIKON D700 | NIKKOR AF 80-200 f/2.8D ED | TAMRON SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR LD Di | NIKON SB 700 | BLACKRAPID RS-4.

wanyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 07, 2009 10:35 |  #35

TiltShift wrote in post #8777036 (external link)
Lovely set and thanks for sharing your travels.

As you asked for opinions on the editing in RAW i'd like to see a tad bit more on the contrast and vibrance to give the images a bit more "POP".

Here is a quick edit at work - monitor has never been calibrated so lets hope it looks ok.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

What do you think?

TiltShift- this does pop more. Can I ask specifically what you did to make it pop and in which processing program? Thanks

TiltShift
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 07, 2009 16:28 |  #36

wanyc wrote in post #8777779 (external link)
TiltShift- this does pop more. Can I ask specifically what you did to make it pop and in which processing program? Thanks

Sure - I used Adobe Lightroom and then increased the contrast and vibrance +20 or so then added a slight increase to the clarity slider which will sharpen the image slightly. To round it off i added a very slight vignette to the image after it was cropped to remove the distracting dark area in the top right.

I'd use Lightroom for 85% of my workflow and editing only using PS for the more creative work. Grab a trial version and have a play around with it - highly recommended.

wanyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 07, 2009 16:36 |  #37

TiltShift wrote in post #8779885 (external link)
Sure - I used Adobe Lightroom and then increased the contrast and vibrance +20 or so then added a slight increase to the clarity slider which will sharpen the image slightly. To round it off i added a very slight vignette to the image after it was cropped to remove the distracting dark area in the top right.

I'd use Lightroom for 85% of my workflow and editing only using PS for the more creative work. Grab a trial version and have a play around with it - highly recommended.

Thanks, will do.

jhn
394 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 07, 2009 23:00 |  #38

Love the Shrike taking on the baby Vine Snake - revenge it seems. Usually its the other way round.

A long time ago I had lots of gear - now I make do with one camera & one lens.;)
Johan Hurter

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 07, 2009 23:02 |  #39

LOVE them!

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

wanyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 08, 2009 11:04 |  #40

jhn wrote in post #8782208 (external link)
Love the Shrike taking on the baby Vine Snake - revenge it seems. Usually its the other way round.

The vine snake was about 3 feet so I'm not sure it was a baby. I had never seen or heard of the Grey-Headed Bush Shrike before but apparently its regular diet includes snakes, lizards and other reptiles as well as other birds.

Thanks all for the kind comments.

happybee
83 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 11, 2009 19:01 |  #41

Nice shots! The owl is my favorite.

shakyhands
408 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 11, 2009 22:42 |  #42

Absolutely beautiful work.....the wild dog looks like you caught him having a pee behind the tree!

5D MkII, 7D, 24-70L, 17-40L, 100-400L

wanyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 12, 2009 16:16 as a reply to  @ shakyhands's post |  #43

Thanks, btw he was just running in circles around the tree and the 2 other pups.

Rayk
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 13, 2009 01:57 |  #44

3.4 & 6 do it for me.

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- CPAGB - HON CPE - ACA - Adobe Certified Associate
www.rakphotographic.co​m (external link)
Follow me on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

4,835 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recent South Africa Safari
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.