Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Oct 2009 (Monday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I bought my first MAC

spcalan
THREAD ­ STARTER
621 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 13, 2009 12:58 |  #31

Ok, here is another option...

Is there a program that does this as good or better than DPP, so I dont have to use DPP at all?
Simplify the process a bit:
Use DPP for white balance ( best i've used )
Use DPP for curves and color management
Use DPP for jpeg convert

Alan Hicks
Canon 5D w/Grip/ Canon Rebel 6mp ( back-up ) - Sold
28-135 USM IS / 50mm 1.4 / - Sold
Bunches of Lexar Pro 2GB/4Gb cards - Still got

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2009 13:52 |  #32

Aperture, Lightroom, Bibble. I'm sure there are others.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 13, 2009 14:59 |  #33

kirkt wrote in post #8812586 (external link)
Is your 24" iMac display too bright? This seems to be a chronic problem with the earlier 24" iMacs - once you start editing images and finding that they come back way too dark in print, you may need to address this issue. It will be interesting to see how your prints match up with your screen images.

Have fun!

Kirk

Shades to the rescue. :)

http://www.charcoaldes​ign.co.uk/shades (external link)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 13, 2009 15:29 |  #34

DPP is well respected, many here still use it, including some who have paying gigs.

First ask yourself, where is DPP lacking that you feel you need more? Then try the various options listed above... seems like what you are asking for is basic RAW converter functions. All should have white-balance, color controls, and conversion to .jpg.

One of my main reasons for moving on from DPP was highlight recovery. The windows version of PSE's ACR is crippled, and didn't do enough for me... so I moved to LR, where I love the presets, clarity, vibrance, and adjustment brushes (soften skin, whiten teeth, localized saturation, etc!)

However, as noted earlier, it appears the MAC version of PSE8 has the full ACR (with adjustment brushes, local editing, etc.) Seems like a very powerful alternative to DPP, for mac users at least!

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

spcalan
THREAD ­ STARTER
621 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 13, 2009 15:30 |  #35

If people use DPP solely.
How do they use DPP for cropping and printing?
Maybe I am not as 'learned' of DPP as I thought.

Alan Hicks
Canon 5D w/Grip/ Canon Rebel 6mp ( back-up ) - Sold
28-135 USM IS / 50mm 1.4 / - Sold
Bunches of Lexar Pro 2GB/4Gb cards - Still got

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2009 15:41 |  #36

When I started, it was DPP > Image Browser since both apps came with the camera.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 13, 2009 16:24 |  #37

spcalan wrote in post #8815157 (external link)
If people use DPP solely.
How do they use DPP for cropping and printing?
Maybe I am not as 'learned' of DPP as I thought.

DPP has cropping, and you can print directly from it as well.

Though, there are limitations. DPP does not have arbitrary rotation, for example, so straightening a horizon is out.

If there's more to do to an image than a given RAW processor alone is capable of, that's where outputting to .jpg or .tiff and using pixel-editors like gimp, photoshop cs, photoshop elements, iphoto come into play. You should already have iPhoto, and Gimp is free.

David C.

b_ron
547 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 13, 2009 21:23 |  #38

which would handle raw better?

i was looking into lightroom as well

| G | F (external link) |

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 13, 2009 21:51 |  #39

b_ron wrote in post #8817372 (external link)

RAW, DPP technically does the best job, followed by LR2 then aperture. aperture does not support sRAW, nor does have as large a RAW support base.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 13, 2009 22:21 |  #40

b_ron wrote in post #8817372 (external link)

They both handle it just fine. Again, it all really comes down to individual prefernce, I believe. I happily used DPP for a long time, and do not regret it. Just happens I came across situations that I felt other tools handled better or with less effort.

LR doesn't fit for everyone... some people just don't like it. Others find desired color representation easier to achieve in DPP. Some prefer Bibble or RawTherapee even. This is because everyone's specific needs are different. Others prefer the power/tools in LR or ACR. Best way to tell is by kicking its tires with the free trials the companies provide.

David C.

kevitivity
152 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 14, 2009 00:06 as a reply to  @ davidcrebelxt's post |  #41

I've always seen DPP as sort of a starter app - and it's very limited processing tools mean you need to have additional software on had to finish your photos, further complicating your work flow.

In the end, you need to use what works best for you, but it would seem beneficial to drop DPP and go right to a pro photo processing app LR or Aperture.

Blog  (external link)| Flickr (external link)

Zazoh
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 14, 2009 20:08 |  #42

Okay, still on trial of Aperture, compared erroneously to iPhoto earlier, why is the cool stuff hidden under Images | Edit With | "Dodge & Burn"

Seems like it is a bolt on, seems like it would be more intuitive to launch from interface ? Am I missing something.

By cool Stuff, I mean brush editing of saturation, dodge & burn, sharpen, etc.

A Camera - A Lens -- Gear Doesn't Matter

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 14, 2009 20:33 |  #43

I just right-click to access that menu. Pretty easy.

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 15, 2009 00:13 |  #44

kirkt wrote in post #8812586 (external link)
Is your 24" iMac display too bright? This seems to be a chronic problem with the earlier 24" iMacs - once you start editing images and finding that they come back way too dark in print, you may need to address this issue. It will be interesting to see how your prints match up with your screen images.

The 24" iMac screen is very bright. I keep mine turned down anywhere from half way to all the way depending on ambient light.

The iMac screen will also seem very bright to new users coming from a PC because of the default gamma settings. It is 2.2 on a PC and was 1.8 on the Mac (default value was changed to 2.2 with Snow Leopard 10.6.1).

I post lots of images online. I have not had any comments about my images being brighter, darker, or otherwise different after switching to Mac. I also used Aperture to create a book and those pictures looked almost exactly as they did on screen.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 15, 2009 00:16 |  #45

spcalan wrote in post #8806824 (external link)
Ok.. here goes again.

I will not be buying photoshop for Mac... what are the better options?
For Mac of course.

I tried Pixelmator and liked it. You may feel a bit limited as a former Photoshop user, but you could certainly get by. I found Pixelmator in this discussion of Mac photo editors (external link).

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

sponsored links

3,603 views & 0 likes for this thread
I bought my first MAC
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.