Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D/1Ds Mk1 vs Mk2

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 13, 2009 17:49 |  #31

TheHoff wrote in post #8815529 (external link)
To me, the changes aren't worth the money. The files it puts out are exactly the same but you get a bigger LCD and the ability to write to two cards at once.

Just to clarify, you can write to both cards at once on any of the Mark II's, you just have to write the same thing to both (RAW to both, jpg to both, RAW + jpg to both, etc). The Mark IIN gives you the option to write RAW to one and jpg to the other if you want.

sponsored links
TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2009 17:50 |  #32

beeng wrote in post #8815939 (external link)
Thanks.

I don't know why you would want to go with a fullframe. Your lens lineup obviously works well, and it's designed around the 1.3 crop. And hey, you know what works. If it ain't broke don't fix it ;) [although I'll admit, experimenting is always fun]

Sorry, but I have a 1DS2 (full frame) so my second would be a crop (1D2). I don't mind that. I like that it gives me different effective focal lengths (even though the 1DS2 gives me the same thing through cropping of the large image).

I'm pretty flexible with focal lengths as long as I have a 24mm effective somewhere in the bag. I can work around anything else (I don't mind big gaps with primes).

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

beeng
THREAD ­ STARTER
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2009 17:50 |  #33

sodalis wrote in post #8815973 (external link)
Just to clarify, you can write to both cards at once on any of the Mark II's, you just have to write the same thing to both (RAW to both, jpg to both, RAW + jpg to both, etc). The Mark IIN gives you the option to write RAW to one and jpg to the other if you want.

Ok... although I agree with TheHoff that it's a pretty small difference. I don't see myself using that as I shoot Raw only. Thanks for the clarification.

A roll of film, a carboard box, and a bobbypin

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 13, 2009 17:52 |  #34

beeng wrote in post #8815980 (external link)
Ok... although I agree with TheHoff that it's a pretty small difference. I don't see myself using that as I shoot Raw only. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, I don't personally think the N is worth the money either. That's why I have a 1DII and 1DsII.

beeng
THREAD ­ STARTER
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2009 17:54 |  #35

TheHoff wrote in post #8815978 (external link)
Sorry, but I have a 1DS2 (full frame) so my second would be a crop (1D2). I don't mind that. I like that it gives me different effective focal lengths (even though the 1DS2 gives me the same thing through cropping of the large image).

I'm pretty flexible with focal lengths as long as I have a 24mm effective somewhere in the bag. I can work around anything else (I don't mind big gaps with primes).

Oh, I thought you had a 1DII :P
I still don't see much advantage to having a FF with a crop considering (like you said) you have no gap problems. If you work only with primes though I can see the advantage. I don't know how you shoot/your preferences though, so everything I'm saying is based off my own style. :p

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2009 17:57 |  #36

beeng wrote in post #8816007 (external link)
Oh, I thought you had a 1DII :P
I still don't see much advantage to having a FF with a crop considering (like you said) you have no gap problems. If you work only with primes though I can see the advantage. I don't know how you shoot/your preferences though, so everything I'm saying is based off my own style.

Cheapness is the advantage :cool: $900 instead of $2000 for a second body and it still gives you great performance and workable files.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

beeng
THREAD ­ STARTER
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2009 18:01 |  #37

TheHoff wrote in post #8816026 (external link)
Cheapness is the advantage :cool: $900 instead of $2000 for a second body and it still gives you great performance and workable files.

I meant between a 1d and a 1ds :P ... I was/am confused; like I said, I thought you owned a 1D :P
I'm totally behind you on the $900 vs $2000 front :cool:

beeng
THREAD ­ STARTER
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2009 18:22 as a reply to  @ beeng's post |  #38

The guy on kijiji with the 1D3 got back to me... he says that canon checked it out and there were no problems.
Though he may be lying. When asked about AIServo mode and the problems associated with it he said, "most of the shots on my site were done with this camera and they came out fine with the camera in everything from M, P, Tv and Av."
This makes me nervous :confused:
I have a feeling he shoots manual focus most of the time, as he put an Ec-S "super precision" focus screen in it.

Where do you guys weight in on the MkIII focusing problems? :cool:

cicopo
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 13, 2009 18:30 |  #39

Each body has it's pros & cons so it comes down to what you want to capture & how good a selection of lenses you have. My original expected use for the first 1D2n I bought was car racing, but I started shooting R/C fun fly events where the very fast AF & fps were very useful, but I needed more Mpixels when shooting planes at some distance, because the majority of the photo was sky. That led me to buy my 1Ds2, which fits my needs perfectly except for the rather small buffer. I will often fire too many shots in a sequence (not necessarily a fps burst) and the camera locks up until they are transferred to the cards, or at least several have been transferred. I've never shot a 1D2 but from everything I've read the files can't be distinguished from the 2n files.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,102 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 15, 2009 19:18 |  #40

beeng wrote in post #8815679 (external link)
Seems like a bit of a waste to release a new camera model for a few updates.

Most of us did not feel that it was a "new camera" .. even Canon did not change the name,. it was only a year into the MkII's three year life cycle. It was like the SR5 Option package for a Toyota Tacoma,. still a Tacoma, just with a few more options.

...the same was true of the "30D" which in reality was exactly the same sort of "update" as the 1D mkIIn,. ie: it was the "20Dn"

In both cases it was because in the previous six months most other manufacturers ( Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc..) had suddenly released all new models that though they did not compete with the 1D MkII or 20D on most other aspects, they did all feature much larger better LCD screens.
Canon still had the best Cameras, but put them in the hands of new buyers and the only thing they would notice was the tiny LCD.

Canon reacted very quickly and efficiently, not to lure upgraders, but to keep new customers coming there way.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,102 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 15, 2009 19:35 |  #41

beeng wrote in post #8816209 (external link)

Where do you guys weight in on the MkIII focusing problems? :cool:

Opinions will vary, I'll start with the facts,.

The MkIII was released with focus problem/s.

Canon took several steps to remedy it that we are aware of.
they did a service recall in October of it's release year (about 6 months after release) and also tried several Firmware updates to resolve the issues.
they then offered a second Hardware fix over a year into it's lifespan that to this day is still active.

The degree to which any of the focus issues effected shooters seems to have varied tremendously depending on photographer, and shooting style/subject matter etc.

It also seems clear that some cameras were simply much worse than others.

these two variables have created a lot more confusion on the issue, with MANY happy MkIII shooters continuing to date to insist that there never was an issue, and that those experiencing issues must be at fault, this despite Canons huge and costly and public efforts to rectify these issues.

Now my opinion;
My 2nd MkIII works very well. My first one was a total Dud re: many of the Focus tasks I asked of it.
However, IMHO there are some AF tasks that the MkIII does better than the MkII, but I still feel there are some conditions where the MkII still beats the MkIII. ( Birds in flight in SOME conditions)

With a Working MkIII I am now very happy with it, and despite it not doing everything as well as the MkII, it does so much more things so much better, it is absolutely my go to camera now.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

beeng
THREAD ­ STARTER
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 15, 2009 19:35 |  #42

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8830254 (external link)
Canon reacted very quickly and efficiently, not to lure upgraders, but to keep new customers coming there way.

Thanks for the history. I should have recognized the strategy considering I studied this stuff for 6 or so years :rolleyes:

I've been looking around for a 1DII but haven't found any decent offers yet. Most are over-priced for used equipment.

Fedxpress
649 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 16, 2009 09:17 |  #43

It seems that the Mark II are getting to be more popular everyday. Just check the threads like yours.
I just bought a Mark IIN last week after selling my 40D. If this keeps up the price might go back up some. After all the price is driven off of demand!!!!
Fedxpress

1D Mark III, XTi, 16-35 f2.8L ,24-105 F4.0Lis, 28-135 3.5 is, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8IIL is,100-400, Kenko Pro300, 430EXII

beeng
THREAD ­ STARTER
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 16, 2009 09:23 |  #44

I doubt it would go back up... might stay the same for a while though.

Fedxpress
649 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 16, 2009 10:22 |  #45

This isn't a fixed retail price this is what the owners are willing to sell them for.
Joe sells his for 1400, John says Humm I sell mine for 1500, Next guy thinks if they go for 1500 then He ought to get 1600 for his because there is no marks on his. Supply and demand drives the price, nothing else. If no one want to sell theirs then the price goes up. If the mark 4 comes out and folks starts to dump theirs the price will go down.
Seems right now folks are wanting them, over the 5D and 7D etc.
Fedxpress

1D Mark III, XTi, 16-35 f2.8L ,24-105 F4.0Lis, 28-135 3.5 is, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8IIL is,100-400, Kenko Pro300, 430EXII

sponsored links

4,626 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D/1Ds Mk1 vs Mk2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.