Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 03:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is chimping bad when shooting manual?

POTN ­ Head
THREAD ­ STARTER
"proof that I have no life"
673 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 06, 2009 14:39 |  #76

Wow Ninja. So maybe chimping can even be a good thing. For example, if you are trying to take a picture of a little kid who is in your family but won't let you. You pretend to chimp and then WOBLAM! He hears the shutter click and starts to cry. He is sad. You are glad. At least you got the shot.. :p

Jon- 5D

sponsored links
fly ­ my ­ pretties
608 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2009 15:26 |  #77
bannedPermanent ban

I chimp, why wouldn't I? There's a great big screen on the back of my camera that lets me look at the picture I just took. It even places it on the screen automatically. Why wouldn't I look at it?

I even chimp when I'm in a studio. It's great to look at an image, work out it's strong features, and then try to put them into the next shot, and so on.

Website (external link)
Breasts (external link)
Flickr (external link)

nemo ­ man
785 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 06, 2009 15:39 as a reply to  @ fly my pretties's post |  #78

You might want to consider the full list of meanings for 'chimping'. Item #5 is of some interest. And item #6 should only be attempted if you are wearing a photographers shooting vest. http://www.urbandictio​nary.com/define.php?te​rm=chimping (external link)

http://carregwenimages​.com/ (external link)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Aug 09, 2009 21:59 |  #79
bannedPermanent ban

POTN Head wrote in post #8411882 (external link)
Wow Ninja. So maybe chimping can even be a good thing. For example, if you are trying to take a picture of a little kid who is in your family but won't let you. You pretend to chimp and then WOBLAM! He hears the shutter click and starts to cry. He is sad. You are glad. At least you got the shot.. :p

That or you can knock them out with your lens. I find the 800L to be effective.

;)

Don't try this at home, only experts should do this stoopid stuff.

nphsbuckeye wrote in post #8410136 (external link)
From my experience on forums, those who care about post counts are the ones who have the weakest posts, anyhow.

My posts are tougher than your posts. :p

vibin247
163 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 09, 2009 22:48 |  #80

Well, there really isn't any other way to look at the histogram, hmm? I try not to peep at the LCD a lot, but when you've got a job on the line, it's hard not to use that thing on the back of your camera.

Gear List
Manual, manual, manual...

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 12, 2009 09:05 as a reply to  @ post 8395559 |  #81

Must have picked been trying to bee too cool - If only I had done a bit of chimping myself I might not have overexposed all my shots on Saturday - what an idiot!!

I have seem to have trouble reading the internal metering when concentrating on composition (multitasking problem?) Glasses really don't help especially on sunny days.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

jrm27
794 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 12, 2009 11:19 |  #82

The only thing that would keep me from chimping is if I could get a Histogram overlayed on the pic when looking through the viewfinder! ha!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jrmelot/ (external link)

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 12, 2009 13:30 |  #83

I chimp in the sense that I check my histogram for problems and such.

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Oct 12, 2009 20:43 |  #84
bannedPermanent ban

I chimp, why not use the screen? Because you want to look pro?!

Heck I even show my clients the screen... and they LOVE it! ;)

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 13, 2009 07:26 |  #85

I like to consider myself the Ashton Kutcher of Canon's sometimes and take the picture, do a fist pump, then show the people I just took a picture of the pure awesomeness of the shot. It's also handy in highschool football for confirming that the ref is in fact a fool and blew another call.

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 13, 2009 08:21 |  #86
bannedPermanent ban

Personally I love to scream a lot and jump up and down... oh and do that little run on the spot really quickly while saying "YES, YES, YES!" thing works well too.

:lol:

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 13, 2009 13:02 |  #87

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8812507 (external link)
Personally I love to scream a lot and jump up and down... oh and do that little run on the spot really quickly while saying "YES, YES, YES!" thing works well too.

:lol:

It's good to know people really enjoy their hobby (profession?) expression is good!

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 13, 2009 14:15 |  #88

I didn't even know what "chimping"is - had to look it up.

Well, back in film days ;) there was no such thing - so I didn't.

I started with Digital Photography back when a 640x480 P&S was $249 and considered "high end". You had to "chimp" because memory cards were very expensive, small and filled quickly. Reviewing photos was a must.

I still do during times I'm not shooting - might as well get rid of the bad photos instead of doing at home on the computer.

If things are too hectic, it can wait now (when a 4Gig CF card can hold 300 photos in RAW... :eek:)

Nowadays, with cards so large and cheap, easier to wait and possible not miss the shot.

I don't see why if a person "chimps" - they're not as good a photographer...

alphonsis
386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 13, 2009 14:22 |  #89

I tend to chimp towards the beginning of a shoot, or when the lighting or location changes during. I don't see anything wrong with it myself, I just find I don't need to once I know I've gotten a few good shots and I'm happy with the setup.

My flickr (external link)
Rebel XTi, BG-E3, 18-55 kit, 50 1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, 28-135 IS, Tammy 17-50 2.8, 580EX II, LP120, 7MDH, 46" Softlighter II

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 13, 2009 20:27 |  #90

I tend to chimp towards the beginning of a shoot, or when the lighting or location changes during. I don't see anything wrong with it myself, I just find I don't need to once I know I've gotten a few good shots and I'm happy with the setup.

Me, too. Under dark conditions, I turn the LCD off.
Need an exposure crutch?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

7,238 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is chimping bad when shooting manual?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.