Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 22:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pocketwizard's latest announcement

alphonsis
386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 13, 2009 22:17 |  #1

Unexciting to say the least. I guess it's nice that there's a soft version of the AC7, but wrapping my flash in what amounts to a condom is unexhilarating at best and borderline offensive. Making us buy an add on for the failures of their primary product?

lame.

http://www.pocketwizar​d.com/news_events/news​/oct09update/ (external link)

My flickr (external link)
Rebel XTi, BG-E3, 18-55 kit, 50 1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, 28-135 IS, Tammy 17-50 2.8, 580EX II, LP120, 7MDH, 46" Softlighter II

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 13, 2009 22:23 |  #2

LOL wow...

I'm definitely going to make due with my poverty wizards until this crap gets worked out completely.

k_strecker
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 13, 2009 23:33 |  #3

Todd Lambert wrote in post #8817763 (external link)
LOL wow...

I'm definitely going to make due with my poverty wizards until this crap gets worked out completely.

Given the quote from that page . . .

"We’ve been seeing and hearing some interesting things from the marketplace. One rumor is that there are new frequency radios coming to the market. We believe that the frequencies we operate on (FCC 344MHz and CE 433MHz) are the best available and we will continue to improve the ControlTL system reliability and performance on these frequencies. With the latest firmware and upcoming RF shields, product performance should now meet or exceed almost everyone’s expectations."

what exactly do you expect to "get worked out" ?

Pocket Wizard will apparently *never* give up on backwards compatability. And, as a result, there will always be a need to block out the RF that's being broadcast from the 580EX, EXII and 430EX flashes . . .

Foggy
397 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 14, 2009 00:16 as a reply to  @ k_strecker's post |  #4

Ugh, that's just not right. lol

Gear/Feedback

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 14, 2009 01:57 |  #5

Well, if Pocket Wizards don't want to work with 580s without ridiculous workarounds such as this, then I will wait until something better comes along - RadioPoppers are not quite where I want yet, but sooner or later they will get there - and that's what I'm waiting for.

PS - I realize that the 580 issues are because of Canon and their "noisyness" but until PW can come up with something better than this, I'll wait.

k_strecker wrote in post #8818105 (external link)
Given the quote from that page . . .

"We’ve been seeing and hearing some interesting things from the marketplace. One rumor is that there are new frequency radios coming to the market. We believe that the frequencies we operate on (FCC 344MHz and CE 433MHz) are the best available and we will continue to improve the ControlTL system reliability and performance on these frequencies. With the latest firmware and upcoming RF shields, product performance should now meet or exceed almost everyone’s expectations."

what exactly do you expect to "get worked out" ?

Pocket Wizard will apparently *never* give up on backwards compatability. And, as a result, there will always be a need to block out the RF that's being broadcast from the 580EX, EXII and 430EX flashes . . .

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 14, 2009 09:48 |  #6

Raincoat? Yes, I think it is. I wonder how bad that impedes the head from tilting. Looks like it totally kills the swivel feature.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

k_strecker
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 14, 2009 10:13 |  #7

Village_Idiot wrote in post #8820006 (external link)
Raincoat? Yes, I think it is. I wonder how bad that impedes the head from tilting. Looks like it totally kills the swivel feature.

Think about it. You're not actively panning and tilting the flash, *while* it's set up remotely. And if, for SOME reason, you have to, it can be done by whatever it's mounted on . . .

You figure out how you want to mount it, you tilt/pan the flash accordingly, you install the devices. and you start shooting.

yogibear
36 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 14, 2009 10:22 |  #8

That wrap around cloth is just silly. I tried a set of PocketWizards and returned them. They didn't work consistently even within 5ft. I just got a set of RadioPoppers. The build quality is really flimsy but at least they work as advertised. PW are built a lot sturdier but unfortunately they don't work well.

Village_Idiot
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 14, 2009 10:41 |  #9

yogibear wrote in post #8820211 (external link)
That wrap around cloth is just silly. I tried a set of PocketWizards and returned them. They didn't work consistently even within 5ft. I just got a set of RadioPoppers. The build quality is really flimsy but at least they work as advertised. PW are built a lot sturdier but unfortunately they don't work well.

They did...up until the new ones...

k_strecker wrote in post #8820157 (external link)
Think about it. You're not actively panning and tilting the flash, *while* it's set up remotely. And if, for SOME reason, you have to, it can be done by whatever it's mounted on . . .

You figure out how you want to mount it, you tilt/pan the flash accordingly, you install the devices. and you start shooting.

When you'r hanging lights via clamps, then there is a lot of movements of the heads involved.

Speedotron users, untie!

k_strecker
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 14, 2009 10:49 |  #10

Village_Idiot wrote in post #8820325 (external link)
They did...up until the new ones...

When you'r hanging lights via clamps, then there is a lot of movements of the heads involved.

well yeah, that's how I use 'em.

but that's not being done mid-shoot.

It's being done on setup. And even with the cloth installed, it shouldn't be any challenge for those possessing the slightest amount of manual dexterity.

Village_Idiot
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 14, 2009 12:43 |  #11

k_strecker wrote in post #8820375 (external link)
well yeah, that's how I use 'em.

but that's not being done mid-shoot.

It's being done on setup. And even with the cloth installed, it shouldn't be any challenge for those possessing the slightest amount of manual dexterity.

I only have two fingers. Paper shredder at work got me... :confused:

Speedotron users, untie!

Telkin
172 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 14, 2009 12:57 |  #12

Unfortunately, I missed my return deadline (because I didn't get a chance to full test the capabilites of the units in a real environment in time) so I'm stuck with a Mini and 3 Flex. At least the 430II works relatively well in terms of reliability. I still think getting a OC-E3 camera cord is the best solution so far when working the flash on a stand. I do like the size and function of the Mini though, no complaints there.

www.triggerhappyphotog​raphy.com (external link)
Gear List

1danny
92 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 14, 2009 14:21 |  #13

well i just got 430ex2 instead. and im liking what im getting. with the tt5 and tt1. im more interested in demoing this zone controller. and i think pw should considering upgrading the current models. like the feet and going w/a lock system like the 430ex2. and i would really like to know more about these mystery products.

k_strecker
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 14, 2009 14:31 |  #14

1danny wrote in post #8821754 (external link)
and i would really like to know more about these mystery products.

I have a sneaky suspiscion it will be something to allow remote power control of some brands of studio strobes. . .

If they've gone to such great lengths to reverse engineer ETTL, then reverse engineering Profoto Air or Elinchrom Skyport or Alien Bees . . . should be a cakewalk. Depending on what sort of inputs each brand requires for remote operation it could be as simple as a cable and a firmware update, or a small converter box . . .

there's nothing to say it would be impossible. And it'd be *very* cool :)

Furthermore . . .why couldn't you cheat those studio strobes and blend them with in-camera ETTL? It'd be MUCH more complicated, but again, not impossible. Use FEL to fire the remotely-controlled-studio-strobes at some known power-level, and listen to what the camera says it should be adjusted by to to achieve proper exposure+FEC . . . The studio strobes could be automatically dialed into that level. Ratios with the Zone Controller would be taken into account as well (of course)

:cool:

why not?

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 14, 2009 14:32 |  #15

i just use a couple of 430 exii flashes...works beautifully

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pocketwizard's latest announcement
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.