Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 03:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is chimping bad when shooting manual?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 13, 2009 22:41 |  #91

Chimping is okay, but don't rely too much on it.

The other day, while shooting in raw, I took two very important shots. While chimping later on, I realized they were too dark and deleted one. Just as I was about to delete the second I realized I needed the shot. Later I fixed it and am glad I kept it.

Don't delete based on chimping. Download the files and then decide later.

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 14, 2009 07:14 |  #92

Nothing wrong with chimping - so long as you aren't making the noises.

I am and will always be a chimper! There I admitted it!

If the technology is there, it is stupid and ignorant not to use it to improve the quality of your output.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,149 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 14, 2009 09:42 as a reply to  @ post 8816999 |  #93

I didn't even know what "chimping"is - had to look it up.

Well, back in film days there was no such thing - so I didn't.

In the film days, "chimping" was called "Polaroid back." Those were available even for the Nikon F and F-2 and the Canon F1.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 14, 2009 11:54 |  #94

RDKirk wrote in post #8819969 (external link)
In the film days, "chimping" was called "Polaroid back." Those were available even for the Nikon F and F-2 and the Canon F1.

Oh, I remember - I thought those backs were only for Mamiya and Hasselblad...

Not available for my K1000... ;)

binlerne
870 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 14, 2009 15:00 |  #95

I chimp after taking a photo. Then I yell, "Brilliant!" just like the guys do in this video.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=3DPKf7y1F-Q (external link)

It helps prove the point that I am a magnificent photographer to everybody around.

My Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Oct 14, 2009 20:38 |  #96
bannedPermanent ban

^^Always enjoy chimping responsibly. BRILLIANT! :)

I loves to turn my camera around and let the audience chimp. Share the chimp love I say...

Hope the TF doesn't see that. :lol:

Ah ha, mention the TF when you say something dumb and it won't strike. Tricky.

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 15, 2009 07:23 |  #97

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8823850 (external link)
^^Always enjoy chimping responsibly. BRILLIANT! :)

I loves to turn my camera around and let the audience chimp. Share the chimp love I say...

Hope the TF doesn't see that. :lol:

Ah ha, mention the TF when you say something dumb and it won't strike. Tricky.

Isnt that illegal where you are?:lol:

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

GQsmithy
68 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 15, 2009 08:17 |  #98

wickerprints wrote in post #8395536 (external link)
The LCD is there for you to use. If you or anyone else thinks you're somehow less of a photographer because you like to review what you shot, screw 'em. That is regressive thinking.

+1

The people that ridicule others for "chimping" are probably the same ones I see b*tchin' about the size/resolution/poor quality of the LCD. :rolleyes:

I "chimp" because I haven't learned to interpret composition from a histogram...even on the 1D Mk III. :)

1DMKIII, 20D gripped, 70-200 f2.8L, 24-105L IS, Tamron 17-50, 580EX II, Sigma 500 Super, a couple of Dynatran tripods, Manfrotto 685B monopod, some bags, some stands, some Paul Buff stuff...This is getting out of hand:rolleyes:

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,149 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 15, 2009 08:53 |  #99

GQsmithy wrote in post #8826309 (external link)
+1

The people that ridicule others for "chimping" are probably the same ones I see b*tchin' about the size/resolution/poor quality of the LCD. :rolleyes:

I "chimp" because I haven't learned to interpret composition from a histogram...even on the 1D Mk III. :)

Or whether that hairlight actually flashed.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

GQsmithy
68 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 17, 2009 06:27 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #100

---Famous Quote---

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
---Abraham Lincoln ;)

1DMKIII, 20D gripped, 70-200 f2.8L, 24-105L IS, Tamron 17-50, 580EX II, Sigma 500 Super, a couple of Dynatran tripods, Manfrotto 685B monopod, some bags, some stands, some Paul Buff stuff...This is getting out of hand:rolleyes:

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Oct 18, 2009 23:21 |  #101
bannedPermanent ban

GQsmithy wrote in post #8838951 (external link)
---Famous Quote---

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
---Abraham Lincoln ;)

Duhhh! Wut?!

kryptic4l
56 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2009 00:16 |  #102

Chimping is a must for teleidoscope photography.

GQsmithy
68 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 19, 2009 01:07 |  #103

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8848467 (external link)
Duhhh! Wut?!

The Abe Lincoln quote serves two purposes. It is appropriate for anyone who belittles others for using a design feature provided for the benefit of the camera's user. In this case, it was directed at the reply, from RDKirk, to my first post. I took it to be a negative comment insinuating that I did not know how to interpret whether a hair light had fired. This did not answer the OP's question and was totally irrelevant to the subject of this thread. For that matter, the only image in my post was my avatar. That picture is essentially a snapshot, taken with on camera flash, not under studio conditions. Therefore, I believe his comment was unreasonable. If I misinterpreted his intent, I humbly appologize.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 19, 2009 01:16 |  #104
bannedPermanent ban

GQsmithy wrote in post #8848916 (external link)
The Abe Lincoln quote serves two purposes. It is appropriate for anyone who belittles others for using a design feature provided for the benefit of the camera's user. In this case, it was directed at the reply, from RDKirk, to my first post. I took it to be a negative comment insinuating that I did not know how to interpret whether a hair light had fired. This did not answer the OP's question and was totally irrelevant to the subject of this thread. For that matter, the only image in my post was my avatar. That picture is essentially a snapshot, taken with on camera flash, not under studio conditions. Therefore, I believe his comment was unreasonable. If I misinterpreted his intent, I humbly appologize.

Duuuhhhhhhhhhhhh! Wuttttt?!

I is use duh sarkasim to makes duh jokes I did!

Perhaps you just proved your own point. :lol: :p

GQsmithy
68 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 19, 2009 01:24 |  #105

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8848938 (external link)
Duuuhhhhhhhhhhhh! Wuttttt?!

I is use duh sarkasim to makes duh jokes I did!

Perhaps you just proved your own point. :lol: :p

Touche! I believe your sentiment is mutually reciprocated. :lol:

sponsored links

7,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is chimping bad when shooting manual?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.