Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beach wedding lens question's

kryptic4l
56 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 15, 2009 00:19 |  #1

Ok, the quick rundown on the situation some may say it will be a disaster but I have faith in my madness.

I am getting married at the end of jan in the carribean, on the beach. No proffessional photographer's are allowed and I am not totally hyped on the package deals being offered.

So my plan is to pick up a decent camera and equip my brides sister with it. She has three months to train, and is very excited about this oppertunity. She is currently unemployed so she has lots of free time. She take's decent photo's we would be happy with, using a point and shoot. She has already been looking into coarses.

I'm pretty oc'd when it comes to things, and have really been enjoying my time learning everything for 5-6 hours a night and doing my research. my reef tank upgrade project has taken a huge back seat to this. As I am getting the feeling I want to shoot it myself. But I have to step back, and think whats best for the wedding and less me afterward ( doing reef macros etc... )

Worse case scenario I am paying per photo what she wants from the resort photographer.

I have a rough budget to follow which would be around 2k to 2500 to spend. which isnt much considering the body I am very interested in.

Things are looking like this so far and creative critism is more then welcome.

I would like to pick up a 40D ( depending on availbility from someone who I feel comfritable buying from second hand ) or a new 50D which is around 1100 for me here in canada for the body.

The lenses seem like the tricky part to me, as they can easily double what I want to spend. Ive read some good things about one of the kit lenses but perhaps would money better spent on a different lens for this setting. So suggestion's on a good x-x lens would be much appreciated.

Also one camera sales men pretty much sold me on a fixed lens, it took nice crisp clear at around a 5 foot range with a nice distorted backround. I cant remeber what but It was very cheap at 150 and made a very nice effect I could see using in many situation's
Suggestions here for lenses would be fantastic.

Also going going to get extra battery's , extra card's, a case etc... which I have decided to be non issue costs that I wont be counting on the purchase.

all in all I just want a decent set up down there that can end up with some good raw file's as I have a lifetime to edit them :)

sponsored links
bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2009 00:40 |  #2

my first thought is that 2500 could buy a lot from the resort photographer.

my second is that, if you must pursue this, and the wedding will be outside, and you don't want to pursue any other alternatives, then I'd say go for a 40D, a 430exii speedlite, and whatever midrange zoom fits your budget.

the flash will be necessary as a fill for when subjects are backlit by the sun or if the sun is overhead and casting deep and unattractive shadows on the face. It will also help you maintain the sky in photographs by bringing the exposure of your subject closer to the exposure of your background.

I love fixed lenses, but you really have to be comfortable with them to get good results under pressure, especially with weddings. and background blur may be more difficult to achieve outside in direct sunlight, where you could be forced to stop down anyway. any zoom, even an 18-55 IS, would probably be preferable in this situation.

man, there is so much to learn to go from point and shoot to wedding photography in 3 months.

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 15, 2009 00:46 |  #3

If you want to pay my way, I'll shoot it as a guest :D I take pretty good GWC audience photos.

If you do go with your undercover sister/operative plan, I'd say one decent zoom lens, a flash, and a way for her to bounce it or fire it off camera. Since you'll be outdoors you don't need something horribly expensive but I can't recommend much in the way of do-it-all zooms.

Also one camera sales men pretty much sold me on a fixed lens, it took nice crisp clear at around a 5 foot range with a nice distorted backround. I cant remeber what but It was very cheap at 150

This was probably the 50/1.8 which would be a fine addition but not long enough reach for ceremony shots from the seats.

bric wrote:
man, there is so much to learn to go from point and shoot to wedding photography in 3 months.

She doesn't have to do formals or poses or anything like that... I think it is possible but I wouldn't expect amazing results.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

kryptic4l
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 15, 2009 01:01 |  #4

bric-a-brac wrote in post #8825176 (external link)
my first thought is that 2500 could buy a lot from the resort photographer.

42 photos, no joke.

also as a side note, this also gives us the ability to follow up on missed picture's on the days post wedding

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 15, 2009 05:01 |  #5

My Wedding FAQ covers gear, but probably needs updating. The principles are still right.

To look like a guest with a camera the 450D camera and kit lens (external link) or 1000D camera and kit lens (external link) will be fine. I don't know the difference, either will do the job. The 40D/50D won't really give you better images, but if you intend to use it professionally in future the 40D/50D is a better plan - they just handle better. For one wedding get the cheap rebel, they make great photos. The kit lens might flare a lot shooting into the bright sun, a Sigma 30 F1.4 (external link) prime is better. I would usually recommend the 17-55 F2.8 IS, but not so much for a beach wedding in such a sunny location - it can flare a bit.

A 580EX II (external link), a CP-E4 battery pack (external link) (for quick recharge you'll want this when it's bright out), a few camera batteries (google sterlingktek for good cheap batteries), some flash batteries (external link), a charger (external link). That's all I can think of right now.

Even better, get the basic body kit with a cheap flash, then rent everything else for the week of your wedding. That'll save you a bunch of money, and you'll still have the camera to learn with - which is ESSENTIAL.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

kryptic4l
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 15, 2009 19:25 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #6

Thanks everyone and a special thanks to tim for all the info plus alot I have to read yet. ended up buying a used 40d with 7200 clicks today . came with the bag a decent flash card. the 17-85 IS USM kit lens a uv filter and a extra battery. I spent awhile talking to the man and he was very nice I never lead on that I was new to photography until after I agreed to purchase, he seemed rather disapointed when I had to run to get back to work. As I think we could of talked and learned all afternoon.

So I have enough now to start the practice, all the other item's I can wait to purchase as worse comes to worse come closer to the day. And now my photographer's will be like battery's I got a backup.

I will look forward to chatting with you all in the month's to come.

sponsored links

2,216 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beach wedding lens question's
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.