Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Stuff General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Oct 2009 (Saturday) 12:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Hypothetical question: Would you keep a wrong ordered lens, if it was in your favour?

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 15, 2009 09:33 |  #91

nicksan wrote in post #8824620 (external link)
Listen. Take my TV example again.
If they aint' coming knocking on my door claiming that they made a mistake, that they have the 32" TV in the truck waiting to be swapped, I ain't getting off my behind to make it happen, that's for sure.

Sorry. There's just no motivation for me. That's the key. MOTIVATION. Fine, I'm guilty. I'll go to hell...except there is no hell. There's just earth.

Now, first of all, I would never make the mistake of sending something more valuable than what I was supposed. Never happened. I assume it never will. But it did, and if the difference was like $1000, you can bet your behind I'll try to "right the wrong". I have plenty of motivation.

Sure...I'm being hyprocritcal. I also go over the speed limit 90% of the time, spit on the ground, saw plenty of action before getting married, smoked and drank while under aged...the list goes on and on.

But agan...I ain't no saint.

If we took the time to count up all the mistakes of those that believed they would never make a mistake, we'd be here for just a bit of time...

It's your choice on what you would do. You're being honest about it (and it can't be easy being an honest hypocrite, ;)), and some here may not be. I am mainly taking issue with the dig at those of us that would truly return the product for the right one (or try, anyway). Like I said above, it's not me pretending to be a saint, it's just the way I am.

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

fly ­ my ­ pretties
608 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2009 12:36 |  #92
bannedPermanent ban

pwm2 wrote in post #8824629 (external link)
No, but because they legally, and morally deserve the right.

It depends where you're getting your moral code from, because in my eyes, there's no moral obligation to return goods sent to you mistakingly. If you pay for something, and you receive something else, then you are a victim of the mistake as much as the next man.

Website (external link)
Breasts (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 15, 2009 13:28 |  #93

fly my pretties wrote in post #8827858 (external link)
It depends where you're getting your moral code from, because in my eyes, there's no moral obligation to return goods sent to you mistakingly. If you pay for something, and you receive something else, then you are a victim of the mistake as much as the next man.

So if they accidentally send you a 50mm f/1.8 instead of a 50mm f/1.2, you just accept the 1.8?!

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 15, 2009 13:48 |  #94

I ordered my 300mm f/2.8L IS from Adorama as a Gray Market Item. When it arrived, It was the one with the USA Warranty. I called them fully expecting them to say just keep it because the difference in cost at that time was only $100. I would have insisted that they pay for shipping back to them and shipping back to me (after all, it was their mistake). It didn't come to that because they said keep it. So now if I have a problem, I can send it to Canon USA instead of Adorama. Both have the same warranty period, but I imagine Canon USA would have the faster turn around time.

I'd report an error even if it was in my favor. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with insisting that they pay for all expenses in getting the error corrected.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 15, 2009 21:48 |  #95

bjyoder wrote in post #8823768 (external link)
It still baffles me that when it is a mistake in someone's favor, they put forth the least effort - if any - to fix it; when they get short changed by an error, however, these same people raise the biggest fit.

This is when "the customer is always right" rule applies ;)

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

fly ­ my ­ pretties
608 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 16, 2009 10:39 |  #96
bannedPermanent ban

bjyoder wrote in post #8828229 (external link)
So if they accidentally send you a 50mm f/1.8 instead of a 50mm f/1.2, you just accept the 1.8?!

This bears no relevance to my previous post.

Website (external link)
Breasts (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Shinnoobi
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 16, 2009 11:24 |  #97

Sometimes life screws you over, and this might be a way of it balancing itself out.

To be completely honest, I'd probably keep it. But at the same time if it was not in my favor I would complain, maybe i am just selfish.

Edit: Its like saying you go out to buy a camera. Retail price is 500 dollars, but the 'new' clerk rings it up for say 300. Would you tell him its a 500 dollar camera? or would you just pay the 300 and be on with it.

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 16, 2009 11:54 |  #98

No , I would tell the clerk . I've friends and family members who worked as clerks and know the hassle they get into when they are short at the end of the day. Even if it's few dollars , I still tell them.

Hi

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 16, 2009 11:56 |  #99

Maybe they should pay more attention and ring up the correct amount then? Dunno...

Honestly, obviously the "right thing to do" is to correct the mistake. I've been in stores where they rung up the wrong price and have corrected them, sure. I've returned excessive change. But I've also been in a situation where items weren't rung up, I made it to my car not even knowing, got home, realized they didn't charge me for something and didn't bother going back to correct it. Sorry, it's too much hassle.

But again...and again...I am no saint. I don't pretend to be one and that's all there is to it.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 16, 2009 12:08 |  #100

nicksan wrote in post #8826263 (external link)
But if Best Buy sends me a 60" flat screen instead of a 36" one, and they don't blink an eye, they better make the effort to correct it with minimal inconvenience on my part. Otherwise it's staying.

So Best Buy sends out one 60" and twenty 36" sets, and after a couple of days one customer calls them and asks why they sent a 36" unit. How will they then be able to figure out which of the other twenty customers did get the big screen? The twenty might just as well have been two hundred or two thousand.

So the person who got the small screen will first have to fight to get them to believe that he didn't get a big one. Then they find out that they have a big problem figuring out which two address labels that got switched. And if they call twenty or two hundred customers and asks them if they accidentally got a 60" screen, the person picking up the phone may lie. And just calling around would represent a lot of bad will - ah, the company that can't keep track of their shipments. And in the end, one or two or three persons at the shipping dock gets a scolding for being clumsy. Maybe one of them worked on an hourly basis and isn't asked to show up any more. Maybe their bonus gets cancelled.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Oct 16, 2009 12:37 |  #101

Shinnoobi wrote in post #8834366 (external link)
Edit: Its like saying you go out to buy a camera. Retail price is 500 dollars, but the 'new' clerk rings it up for say 300. Would you tell him its a 500 dollar camera? or would you just pay the 300 and be on with it.

Been there done that see my previous post (HERE). But if you are happy to use someone else's mistake to justify your theft then that is fine.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

CountryBoy
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 16, 2009 12:51 |  #102

nicksan wrote in post #8834597 (external link)
Maybe they should pay more attention and ring up the correct amount then? Dunno...

Honestly, obviously the "right thing to do" is to correct the mistake. I've been in stores where they rung up the wrong price and have corrected them, sure. I've returned excessive change. But I've also been in a situation where items weren't rung up, I made it to my car not even knowing, got home, realized they didn't charge me for something and didn't bother going back to correct it. Sorry, it's too much hassle.

But again...and again...I am no saint. I don't pretend to be one and that's all there is to it.

If I don't relize it till I get home, then I won't go back. Usually if I miss it, it isn't that much. But if it's $20 or more , either way, I will catch it. Mainly because I'm cheap !

Hi

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 16, 2009 13:59 |  #103

Sometimes life screws you over, and this might be a way of it balancing itself out.

To be completely honest, I'd probably keep it. But at the same time if it was not in my favor I would complain, maybe i am just selfish.

That has happened (not camera but similar price), and I asked them to recheck the price since it wasn't the same as in the leaflet they had sent out. The "new" clerk had to talk with someone more senior, who came back and said "good catch" and let me have the tool for the lower price anyway. I got lucky, and at the same time didn't have to think that I committed fraud.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

fly ­ my ­ pretties
608 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 17, 2009 08:27 |  #104
bannedPermanent ban

I'd have to come clean on that one. For one, you're right in front of the person making the mistake, that makes you a party in deceit. Secondly, by allowing it to take place, you could cost someone their job.

It's not massively different, but I'd say that's a different enough set of circumstance to point out the mistake compared to just receiving a different lens in the post.

Website (external link)
Breasts (external link)
Flickr (external link)

CountryBoy
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 17, 2009 13:18 |  #105

How about this one, http://www.claremorepr​ogress.com …ocal_story_2891​41819.html (external link)

Hi

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

9,147 views & 0 likes for this thread, 39 members have posted to it.
Hypothetical question: Would you keep a wrong ordered lens, if it was in your favour?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Stuff General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.