Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 13:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Honest Opinons needed- be gentle!

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 15, 2009 13:34 |  #1

http://cgi.ebay.com …&ssPageName=STR​K:MEWAX:IT (external link)

I am intersted in purchasing a starter lighting set up to learn/experiment with some portraits. For example, helping some family out with some High School pictures they are dissatisfied with.

This kit looks like I can get my feet wet without going bankrupt or feeling guilty if it is not my forte.

Understanding that it clearly beginner grade and probably cheaper import grade, is there any good reason not to try it for my purposes?? i did look at Alien Bees and a basic setup would run triple this amount!

Thanks in advance! I am hoping the comments will contain some detail and technical explanation- Not just "It's junk", etc.

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

sponsored links
shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 15, 2009 13:41 |  #2

That stuff is complete junk. If you decided it wasn't your forte you wouldn't be able to get 1/10th of what you paid for it. Why don't you get this instead:

Genesis 200 Kit (external link)

You'll be so much happier in the long run.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

[godfather]
Goldmember
1,736 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 15, 2009 13:43 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I will not buy that setup, (even no one here would recomend you). It said it have only two options, full power or half power. Thats enough for me not to buy that strobe.

How much you are willing to spend by the way?

Elinchrom Studio Equipment Sale

Patiala (external link) City's Biggest Portal

Please contact me on aman.sarao@gmail.com (external link)

mg550
181 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 15, 2009 13:54 as a reply to  @ [godfather]'s post |  #4

Nobody is going to encourage you to buy that setup. Maybe you could post your budget and the folks here can give you some better options.

Personally, I'd rather have a single speedlite OCF setup than that. You can learn a lot with just one light and get some impressive results.

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 15, 2009 14:01 |  #5

It's Junk :)

Check the last post by someone asking if they should buy one of these numerous clone kits for the details & explanation as to why they're junk.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=757707

The Genesis kit linked to above is really quite incredible value. If you were to buy the kit you linked to, the lack of control might be enough to frustrate you into abandoning portraiture altogether.

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 15, 2009 14:03 |  #6

Go with the Genesis, they're only slightly more $ than the one you linked to from Ebay. Short Genesis review here:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=741886

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

Celtic ­ Tiger
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 15, 2009 14:04 as a reply to  @ [godfather]'s post |  #7

Although it may be a little more work putting together, why not go Stobist until you see if you like it. For the occasional portrait, you can put together a very adequate set up cheap. I actually got a kick out of putting mine together. Although you can see in my sig that I did a few of the pricier accessories (2 580EXII's for instance), if I had it to do all over again I might just get the YN-460's for about $40 each.

Don't have time to do all the links etc but here would be my recommendation for a starter amateur (I'm never going pro) studio.

Flash: YN-460's 2 or 3 at $40ea (e-bay)
Triggers: Ctr-301ps receiver and triggers for <$40
Lightstands $20 - $30 ea
Softbox Umbrellas - don't remember cost but not too bad
Muslin backgrounds or Savage seamless paper
Background stands etc.

I bet you could put together a very adequate beginner portrait studio for around $300 and maintain portability to boot.

flickr (external link)

Addicted2EOS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 15, 2009 14:17 |  #8

Wow. Thanks for all the comments. there is a lot of info to digest. Let me do all the reading and respond. $300 was ideal but I would spend up to $500 to get started.
I'll read the Genesis info and other threads and then reply more intelligently.
I had missed the lack of variable power. Great point!

Again, THANKS!!

mg550
181 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 15, 2009 14:30 as a reply to  @ Addicted2EOS's post |  #9

If you have up to $500 to spend, I wouldn't touch any of that ebay junk. There are a lot of options in that price range for good quality stuff. Genesis being one of them. Alien Bees are another option.

A lot of experts recommend starting with one light and learning to use it properly before jumping into multiple light setups. The Genesis 200/400 kit with a few different modifiers might be a good place to start. Add a good size reflector for fill light and you're on your way.

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 15, 2009 14:37 as a reply to  @ mg550's post |  #10

I have this exact same set-up :lol: A friend of mine got this as a gift a while back from someone and brought it over to the house for me to tinker around with because he never used it. Long story short....it's crap, stay away ;)

Gear List & Feedback

Addicted2EOS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 15, 2009 21:20 |  #11

OK, I have read everything and appreciate all the suggestions. At this point I think my question is:

Would you buy one two-piece 200 Genesis kit or one 400 Genesis 1 light kit? It sounds like the recommendation would be one 400.

Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 15, 2009 21:29 as a reply to  @ Addicted2EOS's post |  #12

I wavered all last week on genesis 200 vs. 400. i got them tuesday, and the 200's a blinding me in my make shift bedroom studio. I didn't realize how much light they put out the the speedlites. i also didn't realize they were going on sale. calumet is offering 10% off the genesis 200 kits. :cry:

Some Stuff

Addicted2EOS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 15, 2009 21:44 |  #13

Apollo.11 wrote in post #8831000 (external link)
I wavered all last week on genesis 200 vs. 400. i got them tuesday, and the 200's a blinding me in my make shift bedroom studio. I didn't realize how much light they put out the the speedlites. i also didn't realize they were going on sale. calumet is offering 10% off the genesis 200 kits. :cry:

So, you are saying the 200s are plenty of light?

Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 15, 2009 21:49 as a reply to  @ Addicted2EOS's post |  #14

unless you're shooting outside or in a large venue, they're plenty. hey, their on sale! pick them up and use the extra money to buy all the other goodies you need. just because you have $500 doesn't mean you have to spend it all at one time. I spent sooo much time reading about the equipment that i finally made myself pull the trigger so i could start taking pictures. i'm brand new to lighting and the genesis are pretty well thought of on this sight. it'll be years before i out grow them.

Some Stuff

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 15, 2009 22:06 |  #15

If you have $500 in your budget you should have enough to get the Genesis kit or your choice and a good basic light meter. Allot of people may tell you you don't need a light meter but if you want to really learn what your doing and be able to repeat your results a light meter is a must I much prefer to set my lights up with my meter and now what I am going to get before I ever click off a single frame.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
Honest Opinons needed- be gentle!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.