Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Mar 2007 (Tuesday) 19:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Color problems? [work in progress?]

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jun 30, 2009 03:59 |  #256
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks Rene, I learnt a lot. :)

sponsored links
darkness2505
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 06, 2009 23:43 as a reply to  @ post 8022014 |  #257

Can someone explain why is this happening? I have read through the thread, and been playing around the settings and still cannot get it right. This is a comparison between Aperture and Firefox 3.5. First screenshot does not have on screen proofing on Aperture, the second screenshot does.
Onscreen proofing is set to sRGB so is the export profile.

IMAGE: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9048/picture4tma.png
IMAGE: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2020/picture5bpm.png
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script

Thanks
edit: On Safari, the colors are identical to Aperture. So I am guessing Firefox is the problem here?

René ­ Damkot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 07, 2009 01:35 |  #258

darkness2505 wrote in post #8236992 (external link)
Can someone explain why is this happening? I have read through the thread, and been playing around the settings and still cannot get it right. This is a comparison between Aperture and Firefox 3.5. First screenshot does not have on screen proofing on Aperture, the second screenshot does.
Onscreen proofing is set to sRGB so is the export profile.

The image in FF remains the same.
The image in Aperture looks less saturated in the second screenshot (I'd expect the other way around, since your screen has a smaller gamut then sRGB). Both images look less saturated in Aperture.
Not sure what exactly "Onscreen proofing" does in Aperture, but if it's like softproofing in PS, and you're trying to simulate a non color managed application, you should choose your monitor profile. ("Seems good 2")

No idea why you would want to be proofing however, since both Safari and FF3 are color managed...

darkness2505 wrote in post #8236992 (external link)
edit: On Safari, the colors are identical to Aperture. So I am guessing Firefox is the problem here?

FF3 has 3 settings for color management: Off (0), fully color managed (1), Only manage images with embedded profile (2) (which is the same as Safari)
Which is it set at? "0" I presume?

How to set it: Link (external link)

Here is a video featuring the Onscreen proofing: Link (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

basman007
82 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 09, 2009 07:25 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #259

---------------

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/sj-photography/ (external link)

René ­ Damkot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 09, 2009 08:40 |  #260

basman007 wrote in post #8250275 (external link)
firefox 3.5:

FF 3.5 doesn't support V4 profiles. It also has a bug that causes it to not display right on wide gamut screens. I'd stick with 3.0.11 for now.
3.5.1 is supposed to fix both issues

- set the display resolution to a minimum of 1024x768

An LCD display is best run at native resolution.

I don't use DPP or other progs I have installed to edit pics, so does it matter that I haven't changed their settings? These progs won't interfere with PS, right?

Nope.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

basman007
82 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 09, 2009 09:05 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #261

---------------

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/sj-photography/ (external link)

shimmishim
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 30, 2009 22:43 |  #262

Rene -

I just want to make sure that the easiest way to say convert adobergb to say srgb in photoshop is...

Edit > Convert to profile... Destination Space Profile: srgb....

I exported my 5DMarkII files in LR 2.4 to a PSD 8-bit adobergb.

I realize now that the lab I use has to have the profile in srgb.

would the method I just listed above be the best way to convert from adobe to srgb?

Thanks!

Call me John | JSP Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) |facebook (external link) | twitter (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III + a few L lenses
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=654812

René ­ Damkot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 01, 2009 07:13 |  #263

Yep. That's the way to do it. Note that you only have relative colorimetric intent, so be careful not to clip any colors...

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

shimmishim
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 01, 2009 09:36 |  #264

thanks Rene!

Call me John | JSP Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) |facebook (external link) | twitter (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III + a few L lenses
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=654812

SgWRX
395 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 15, 2009 20:55 as a reply to  @ shimmishim's post |  #265

one issue i've always had a problem with is this: in my raw converter, i adjust the image black level so that i can see detail in shadows. i can convert that image to jpg and embed the sRGB profile, but when viewing in non-color managed app like picture & fax viewer (windows), that detail is lost because the image is becoming darker.

René ­ Damkot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 16, 2009 03:28 |  #266

Only real solution is to use color managed software.
If you want to use the image as a background / desktop image in XP (or it must look identical in P&FV and CM software (on your machine only)), convert to your monitor profile.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

SgWRX
395 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 16, 2009 12:34 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #267

I tried that later - converting to my monitor's profile and it worked great. Never thought of that before. but generally i just make a copy of it and bring up the level of the shadows when i am going to post to web or send to other people who may or may not have color workflow.

thanks!

René ­ Damkot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 17, 2009 09:46 |  #268

Be aware that converting to your monitor profile will only assure the image looks the same in Windows P&FV on your monitor.
It will help nothing for other peoples system, maybe make things worse. It'll certainly make things worse for people using FF3 with full color management, unless you embed the profile.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

golmuso
41 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 07, 2009 20:51 |  #269

I am using Photoshop cs4 and have embedded the profile of adobeRGB and such, however the program i use to import my raw files (or convert them to be precise) is DPP and it doesn't allow me to change the preferences in there (due to not being compatible with Snow Leopard OSX yet) so it's stuck on sRGB.
I am wondering if i convert from RAW to TIFF16bit, with sRGB (as i have no choice) then use adobe in PS will this effect the colour greatly???
IF so is there another program i can use to export my files into TIFF so i can embed the colour profile AdobeRGB???
I am printing my work so i need, or prefer Adobe, of course.
Been scratching my head over this until Canon can fix the DPP
Thanks guys

René ­ Damkot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 08, 2009 09:28 |  #270

When you convert the CR2 using sRGB, any colors outside sRGB will be lost. So converting to AdobeRGB only makes sense if you want to "add" color beyond sRGB, for instance by adding saturation.

If I read your post correctly, you cannot access the DPP prefs? Try here:

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20091108-fcqdpp7yhjg7pa76a81wjux4e7.jpg

You could also use ACR of course ;)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

311,443 views & 3 likes for this thread
Color problems? [work in progress?]
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.