Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 Oct 2009 (Saturday) 21:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CameraKings: New 50D + 28-135mm USM IS $1,179.00

memmons
45 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 17, 2009 21:52 |  #1

Hi All,

I've been lurking around a bit and thought I would post this for the members. CameraKings has the Canon 50D + 28-135MM USM IS kit for $1,179.00, no tax and free shipping. In addition, if you purchase through the bing cashback program you'll get an additional $35 cashback. Also, if you order online you also get "Carrying Case, Table Top Tripod, Cleaning Kit, and Screen Protector"

I just ordered one today. Will update this thread if I have any problems.

link: http://www.camerakings​.com …?ID=10149609&l=​LiveSearch (external link)

note: be sure to go to the site via bing.com if you want the $35 cashback. I received my cashback confirmation a couple hours after ordering.

sponsored links
iof
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Oct 18, 2009 10:15 |  #2

Camerakings is a new name in the broadway photo lineup, an outfit long known for their crooked dealing. It's possible that broadway's recent encounter with the legal system has made them change their business model, but I doubt it. I truly wish you the best in getting your new camera.
Keep us posted on your experience. In the meantime, watch your credit card statements carefully. Be ready to challenge any unauthorized charges, and have your card re-issued if necessary.

http://search.newyork.​bbb.org/reports.aspx?i​d=68047 (external link)

http://thoughts-of-dave.blogspot.com …erakingscom-bait-and.html (external link)

http://news.cnet.com …17938_105-10274730-1.html (external link)

http://hdguru.com …-and-switch-e-tailers.pdf (external link)

Ron.
5D,20D, D60, Elan 7, Canon stuff from the 70's, Pentax stuff from the 60's, other stuff.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 18, 2009 10:23 |  #3

Welcome to POTN!

And best of luck on your transaction. Be sure to let us know how it all turns out...

Bryan

My Gear List

memmons
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 18, 2009 12:21 |  #4

Thanks for the info, iof and the welcome, bps!

I just missed a call from CameraKings to verify my order. I called the number given in the voicemail as well as their 800 and direct numbers, but the recording indicates that CameraKings is currently closed, even though the recording also says they are open on Sundays after 10am EST, which it is. Not necessarily anything bad, but odd.

I will keep an eye on the charges. But, honestly I'm not too worried. A quick call to the CC company will fix any fraudulent charges. Plus, I have this friend named Guido that lives in the area...

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 18, 2009 17:53 |  #5

memmons wrote in post #8845027 (external link)
Thanks for the info, iof and the welcome, bps!

I just missed a call from CameraKings to verify my order. I called the number given in the voicemail as well as their 800 and direct numbers, but the recording indicates that CameraKings is currently closed, even though the recording also says they are open on Sundays after 10am EST, which it is. Not necessarily anything bad, but odd.

I will keep an eye on the charges. But, honestly I'm not too worried. A quick call to the CC company will fix any fraudulent charges. Plus, I have this friend named Guido that lives in the area...

That isn't a verification call, it's a call to sell you things like aftermarket batteries for $100 each and 4GB no name CF cards for $150. When you refuse the overpriced junk accessories you will be told the kit is backordered.

Stick with reputable sellers such as B&H and Adorama (just to name a few).

Flickr (external link)

memmons
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 18, 2009 18:10 |  #6

I will continue to be optimistic until they give me reason to not be ;). While I find it likely that the verification is in fact an attempt to upsell, I am not particularly bothered. I'll talk to them tomorrow and politely decline any additional equipment. We'll see where it goes from there. If the item does in fact suddenly become backordered I'm sure I can convince them that it is in their best interest to get the item to me forthwith.

Believe me, I would have bought from B&H if their website wasn't closed for a week for a Jewish holiday, then down for two days because they "weren't currently taking orders", and then when I was finally able to find the item the bing cashback "version" of it was out of stock.

I'm sure I'll have a further update tomorrow :).

K6AZ wrote in post #8846555 (external link)
That isn't a verification call, it's a call to sell you things like aftermarket batteries for $100 each and 4GB no name CF cards for $150. When you refuse the overpriced junk accessories you will be told the kit is backordered.

Stick with reputable sellers such as B&H and Adorama (just to name a few).

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 18, 2009 18:26 |  #7

Good luck but I'm afraid like thousands before you that in this case the $45 you save isn't worth the aggravation of dealing with them.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_EOS_50D_SLR_Di​gital.html (external link)

Flickr (external link)

memmons
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2009 10:09 |  #8

K6AZ wrote in post #8846722 (external link)
Good luck but I'm afraid like thousands before you that in this case the $45 you save isn't worth the aggravation of dealing with them.

I totally agree that good service is worth something, but it wasn't a $45 difference in price. It was a $70 difference. That will almost pay for a nifty fifty! So, I'm willing to spend an extra 5 minutes on the phone with the salesman for that.

UPDATE: I talked with order fulfillment today. As expected, after confirming my order they did try to upsell additonal equipment. It was fairly soft-shoe however and didn't particularly bother me. After indicating that I didn't require anything else he thanked me and told me my order would be going out today. I'll update again when I receive the package.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2009 10:38 |  #9

memmons wrote in post #8850512 (external link)
I totally agree that good service is worth something, but it wasn't a $45 difference in price. It was a $70 difference. That will almost pay for a nifty fifty! So, I'm willing to spend an extra 5 minutes on the phone with the salesman for that.

UPDATE: I talked with order fulfillment today. As expected, after confirming my order they did try to upsell additonal equipment. It was fairly soft-shoe however and didn't particularly bother me. After indicating that I didn't require anything else he thanked me and told me my order would be going out today. I'll update again when I receive the package.

You do know you will get a grey market camera, right? They're quite deceptive with the "USA warranty".

B&H has 2% Bing cashback, other reputable sellers have as much as 5%. When all is said and done you're really talking about a very small savings overall.

Flickr (external link)

memmons
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2009 14:02 |  #10

K6AZ wrote in post #8850690 (external link)
You do know you will get a grey market camera, right? They're quite deceptive with the "USA warranty".

Why do you assume so? Their website for the item indicates a USA warranty. Looking at their better business bureau file I see they've only had 2 warranty complaints in the last year. The complaints against them and the lawsuit against them are for

using bait-and-switch tactics. The company advertised very low prices, but when consumers placed an order, they would allegedly be told that necessary components must be purchased separately, increasing the overall cost of the product. If consumers refused to purchase additional parts, Broadway Photo would cancel the order.

Do I think this is an awesome company? No. But I haven't had any of the issues stated. In fact, the salesman specifically said that the camera comes with all the normal cables, batteries and software--and this is most likely a result of the Attorney General's lawsuit. So, in this case the legal system seems to be working as it should: businesses change their bad business practices when confronted with a financial embargo.

If I do have problems such as the camera not being under warranty I will simply have my CC company reverse the charges and CameraKings can have their camera back at their own expense. It really isn't a big deal to me.

For those that are interested, the California "Consumers Credit Card ChargeBack Rights (external link)" has information on when you can and can not be issued a chargeback and "Charges for goods or services different from what was represented or of the wrong quantity" is covered under there.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2009 14:37 |  #11

memmons wrote in post #8852046 (external link)
Why do you assume so? Their website for the item indicates a USA warranty. Looking at their better business bureau file I see they've only had 2 warranty complaints in the last year. The complaints against them and the lawsuit against them are for

Do I think this is an awesome company? No. But I haven't had any of the issues stated. In fact, the salesman specifically said that the camera comes with all the normal cables, batteries and software--and this is most likely a result of the Attorney General's lawsuit. So, in this case the legal system seems to be working as it should: businesses change their bad business practices when confronted with a financial embargo.

If I do have problems such as the camera not being under warranty I will simply have my CC company reverse the charges and CameraKings can have their camera back at their own expense. It really isn't a big deal to me.

For those that are interested, the California "Consumers Credit Card ChargeBack Rights (external link)" has information on when you can and can not be issued a chargeback and "Charges for goods or services different from what was represented or of the wrong quantity" is covered under there.

Obviously you are one who is going to have to learn the hard way. A "USA warranty" does not mean you are getting a Canon USA camera. You won't, and there are years of complaints about this company.

Have you ever dealt with a credit card dispute before? It's a major PITA with some card companies.

In the end it's your business but I hope you find a grey market camera and a worthless warranty was worth the supposed $70 you saved.

Flickr (external link)

memmons
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2009 15:24 |  #12

K6AZ wrote in post #8852253 (external link)
A "USA warranty" does not mean you are getting a Canon USA camera. You won't[...]

I'm unclear what you mean. Are you saying they will send me an non-USA Canon camera with a USA manufacturers warranty?

Have you ever dealt with a credit card dispute before? It's a major PITA with some card companies.

I have on a few different occasions. It has always been straightforward and hassle-free. They send you a letter, you fill in the blanks and attach documentation. It takes 5 minutes. This would be a very cut-and-dry issue; either I get a USA Canon camera and lens kit with a USA warranty as is documented, in which case there isn't a problem or I get a non-USA "grey market" camera in which case I will be issued a chargeback.

[...]but I hope you find a grey market camera and a worthless warranty was worth the supposed $70 you saved.

As indicated above, I will either have what I paid for and the above statement is wrong or I will have a chargeback and free camera until CameraKings issues a pre-paid shipping label for the return. I'm only out the time it took me to order the camera, which isn't much. Honestly, this thread has taken much more time than any dispute resolution ever would ;).

Why "supposed $70?" It is not supposed. That is how much I saved. You obviously want to make sure POTN members do not get scammed, which is a good thing, and you have a valid point that CameraKings has a bad track record, but all of your arguments are based on events that have not happened to me.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2009 15:30 |  #13

1) You will get a grey market camera with a third party "USA warranty" that is worthless. Read the authorized Canon dealers sticky at the top of this forum.

2) Credit card chargebacks are a hassle to me. More power to you if you like dealing with them.

3) The $70 is supposed because you are claiming to be saving that $70 from a genuine USA model with a good Canon USA warranty. That is not what you will be getting.

Flickr (external link)

memmons
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2009 15:43 |  #14

K6AZ wrote in post #8852608 (external link)
1) You will get a grey market camera with a third party "USA warranty" that is worthless. Read the authorized Canon dealers sticky at the top of this forum.

Please explain. Assuming I receive a Canon USA camera as the website indicates then is there a problem? Regardless if the dealer is authorized or not, if the camera is the USA model it will be covered under Canon's warranty, correct?

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2009 15:50 |  #15

memmons wrote in post #8852693 (external link)
Please explain. Assuming I receive a Canon USA camera as the website indicates then is there a problem? Regardless if the dealer is authorized or not, if the camera is the USA model it will be covered under Canon's warranty, correct?

Incorrect. Please read the sticky and the thousands of complaints about this company. They are not authorized to sell Canon USA cameras. They're slick with their "USA warranty". You will get a grey market camera with a warranty issued by a third party, not Canon and the warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,524 views & 0 likes for this thread
CameraKings: New 50D + 28-135mm USM IS $1,179.00
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.