Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Oct 2009 (Saturday) 17:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 17-50 VC Lens?

jrscls
Goldmember
3,004 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 18, 2009 19:01 |  #16

Unless Tamron improves their AF motor, VC isn't going to be of much use as I found that lens hunted pretty badly in dim lighting.

Nikon Z6, 24-70mm f/4 S, 70-200mm f/4 G VR, 35mm f/1.8 S, 85mm f/1.8 S, FTZ, Flashpoint/Godox Flashes

sponsored links
Ryan7490
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 18, 2009 19:42 |  #17

jrscls wrote in post #8846922 (external link)
that lens hunted pretty badly in dim lighting.

That's the thing, I would be using this lens a lot in dim lighting, I know that from previous trips. That's def a big problem for me.

Nikon D610, 50 f/1.8, 70-300 VRII

(external link)

heishiro
94 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 18, 2009 20:46 |  #18

VC version pls pls... be out next month! i want you! haha

Dark-Side
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/heishiro_6910/ (external link)

kermit4u
847 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2009 20:52 |  #19

did they not increase the glass size, non vc uses 58mm filter, new vc uses 67mm if I remember correctly. would this make a difference

]6Dmkii.gripped|7Dmkii gripped|5DC gripped|7Dmkii gripped|Canonet QL17 Giii|too many yet not enough lenses https://www.jeffowenph​otography.com/ (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/jeffowenphotograph​y/ (external link)

dino8031
845 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 18, 2009 22:09 |  #20

kermit4u wrote in post #8847527 (external link)
did they not increase the glass size, non vc uses 58mm filter, new vc uses 67mm if I remember correctly. would this make a difference

The current Non-VC lens uses 67mm filters.
I don't know about the new VC version.
I'd also like to see an end to the spinning focus ring.
Even though the lens has it's minor faults I still think it's a great lens. Very, very sharp.
I'm anxious to try out the VC version.

Ryan7490
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 18, 2009 22:10 |  #21

dino8031 wrote in post #8848021 (external link)
Even though the lens has it's minor faults I still think it's a great lens. Very, very sharp.

hmmm I've been hearing different things about it, some bad, some good. I dont know what to think anymore haha

(external link)

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 18, 2009 22:21 |  #22

kermit4u wrote in post #8847527 (external link)

As far as i know, filter size only serves to make you happy or ridiculously sad.

For instance, my friend is apprehensive about buying the 16-35mm because it's 82mm. He's offering to sell me his infrared filter because it's not the right filter size with his current setup (all 77mm lenses).

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2009 00:04 |  #23

Ryan7490 wrote in post #8842936 (external link)
Should I stick with Cannon lenses?

@ Ryan^^^^.... the real question is can you afford to stay with Canon.... I know if I could I would buy almost every lens from Canon!

as for the new VC Lens.....well from what i have read on the web about reviews of the Nikon mount VC version and reviews the new VC version appears to have improved AF in terms of less noisy and faster and more "smoother" focusing. And the obvious VC improvement.

There is a thread that might of interest to folks in here linked below in this post..... given that people are saying the AF is better on the new VC version I would say the extra $200 is justified.... but mind this is on the Nikon mount version...and i haven't just read this one or two places.... ive read this in three separate places on the web about the new VC version for the nikon mount that the AF is vastly improved.... take it for what its worth though.... the rest remains to be seen once the Canon version comes out.... so yah.

Also for those of you wondering i asked around a few vendors for the expected ship date of this lens and it appears it will hitting shelves in stores and shipping boxes alike online first week of November.

check out page 2 and 3 of the thread below for relavent information to this thread about the VC version lens.

hope this helps! i am patiently waiting on this lens too!

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=756321

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

Ryan7490
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 19, 2009 00:25 |  #24

JayStar86 wrote in post #8848684 (external link)
@ Ryan^^^^.... the real question is can you afford to stay with Canon

haha I can barely afford Tamron or Sigma! Thanks for the link to that thread.

I don't need a new lens until next July, so the price will drop on everything. I just have to be patient.

(external link)

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2009 00:43 |  #25

Ryan7490 wrote in post #8848763 (external link)
haha I can barely afford Tamron or Sigma! Thanks for the link to that thread.

lol, that makes 2 of us then!

I think if its confirmed that the new VC version has improved AF along with the VC and as good optics as the non-VC then the $200 is well justified IMO for the new lens.... lets just hope it comes out when its expected to early next month... im waiting off buying the non-VC version right now just for the new one in the hopes that reviews will confirm the improved AF speed and noise:D

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

nesquikstyle
44 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 19, 2009 06:47 |  #26

I used to have a non-vc model ealier this year. It was fine without the VC....maybe it is a team kill...lol

ckfishel2001
Goldmember
2,297 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 19, 2009 08:01 |  #27

10megapixel wrote in post #8841508 (external link)
That doesn't make sense, focal length wouldn't determine if you need IS or not. When you are trying to shoot hand held under 1/250 sec, then It doesn't matter what length lens you have on...IS/VC is going to come in real handy.;)

I have the 17-55 is which I got to replace the tamron 17-50 is have (soon to be had). I loved the Tamron. The shots were great. I'm pretty green still, but I was very happy with the 17-50 tammy. That said, I'm a huge fan of the IS on the 17-55. I quoted the above post because I agree with them completely. Where IS doesn't help is in stopping subject motion. Everything else, it provides options you just wouldn't have otherwise. In fact, on the shorter focal length lenses, it makes it that much more useful handheld without flash. Good museum shots, night stills, etc.

Kevin
Gear List
Flickr (external link)
Fishel Photo (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 19, 2009 09:13 |  #28

dino8031 wrote in post #8848021 (external link)

http://www.slrgear.com …t.php/product/1​297/cat/23 (external link)

New one is 72mm.

Ryan7490
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 19, 2009 14:22 |  #29

Southswede wrote in post #8850224 (external link)
New one is 72mm.

So is there any advantage/disadvantage to a lens having a larger mm?

(external link)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2009 15:05 |  #30

If you don't use filters, it doesn't matter. If you buy and leave a filter on every lens as a clear lens cap then it doesn't really matter either but if you buy expensive special purpose lenses that you move from lens to lens then I guess it is nice to have all your lenses have the same size filter ring.

I occasionally use the 'clear lens cap' on short focal length lenses with useless lens hoods but otherwise I don't use them so I don't care what the filter ring size is.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

sponsored links

43,716 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 17-50 VC Lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.