Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Oct 2009 (Saturday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you like your own photos you suck.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 18, 2009 12:22 |  #31

Hi Metric - I have mostly "L's" but I'm not hung up on them.

I came from Hasselblad when I migrated to digital so I wanted something as close to Zeiss as I'd been previously accustomed. I don't "collect" lenses, only buying what I really need. Each has to earn it's lunch. Of the 5 lenses I own, two of them account for more than 90% of my shots.

MetricMeter wrote in post #8844969 (external link)
What subset of those who love all their photos have a bad case of L-itis?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,900 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2009 12:25 |  #32

MetricMeter wrote in post #8844969 (external link)
What subset of those who love all their photos have a bad case of L-itis?

If its real it would have nothing to do with equipment;)
If people would put as much into learning how to see and communicate visually as they do about the stuff and learn to fully use the stuff the world of photography would be a better place.

And I only own 4 lenses (digital). They're really good lenses tough and match my vision very well.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 18, 2009 12:49 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #33

I'm a hack photographer. Always have been and always will be...

However, I have loads of fun doing it, I've met a lot of neat people because of it, and I'm actually able to sell some of it, so why stop? :D

John

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 18, 2009 12:59 |  #34

Some of the best reasons I've heard for doing it JR :D. It gives you a lot of pleasure, you've made a couple of bucks and have enriched your life by meeting other interesting folks.

JWright wrote in post #8845133 (external link)
I'm a hack photographer. Always have been and always will be...

However, I have loads of fun doing it, I've met a lot of neat people because of it, and I'm actually able to sell some of it, so why stop? :D

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,900 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2009 13:04 |  #35

sapearl wrote in post #8845170 (external link)
Some of the best reasons I've heard for doing it JR :D. It gives you a lot of pleasure, you've made a couple of bucks and have enriched your life by meeting other interesting folks.

Heck ya. If it ain't fun GET OUT. Photography has been such a passport for me too. I have been to places and met and photographed some of the most interesting people because of photography. Shot in surgical suites and mansions all of which I would have never been in had in not been for photography.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 18, 2009 13:37 |  #36

I wouldn't shoot something if there wasn't a draw on some level. I have my own opinion about what I like and that has been heavily influenced by research on sites like this one, magazines, art books, etc. Some of my images have a lot of meaning to me and absolutely none to anyone else. Some of my images have no meaning to me and an audience of admirers. I stopped trying to analyze the perceived outcome of an image and focus instead on the inspiration for creating an image. I create a lot of tossers and a few gems and so it goes.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,765 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 18, 2009 13:39 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #37

Ya know, I think the OP is a troll. This is a person who has 7 posts at PotN and has yet to add to the conversation he started. When a new member opens a thread with a sensational title and posting, that smells trollish to me.

To chrismallet, if you want to be a member of this community like the rest of us, welcome! Add to the conversation. If however your intent is to be a troll, be one elsewhere.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Photo Collection (external link)

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 18, 2009 15:16 |  #38

I feel like my photos suck sometimes, but I'm pretty sure I know some of them are good. I have alot of fun shooting but at the same time I don't display my photos all over the house.

I'm a tough critic on myself and I'm a perfectionist, but I agree with others- if you think your work completely sucks with no improvements then why do you continue with photography?

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 19, 2009 05:57 |  #39

When it comes to growth and self improvement, often the hardest challenge is to be honestly critical with yourself.

We've all gone through periods where we feel the muse has abandoned us. That happens. Fortunately those episodes come and go. But we have also seen people on this forum that constantly beat themselves up, don't know how to take constructive criticism and are generally just Debbie and Danny Downers. Those folks are pretty rough sells, and often it's less about ability and more about their lack of self confidence.

There are many terrific posters here, and many more that are good photographers. The trick is to "personally" maintain an open mind regarding your own work and be fair and object to yourself. You'll generally know when a shot is mediocre or poor. But you are also entitled to the acolades that come with your wonderfully crafted images ;). - Stu

DStanic wrote in post #8845793 (external link)
I feel like my photos suck sometimes, but I'm pretty sure I know some of them are good. I have alot of fun shooting but at the same time I don't display my photos all over the house.

I'm a tough critic on myself and I'm a perfectionist, but I agree with others- if you think your work completely sucks with no improvements then why do you continue with photography?

GEAR LIST

Cross_X
37 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 19, 2009 06:14 |  #40

I totally hate what I shoot. Myself, I am capable of finding 10 shots out of 1000 that I would like.
My woman thinks opposite, as it turned out recently. I was shooting her graduation at MSU, and that was a 3-hour thing, so i made about 1300 shots, and after thorough cleaning i was left with about 800 so-so(in my pov), and started really picking the ones I like. I found 15, edited them a bit and gave it to her and her friends. I don't remember when in my life I was yelled at so bad. She wouldn't let me delete any more of them, save them to her own hard drive and do the rest on her own. I thought I'd not stop her and let it be, but still..I like what I do a lot less than everybody else..-)

Best regards, Alex
No more digital. Medium format all the way

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Oct 19, 2009 06:15 |  #41

Well, I hate to admit it, but you are kind of half-way on to something in your own sort of n00b, dontreallyknowwhatyou'​resaying kind of way.

Point is, part of being a great photographer is being a great editor.

The "exceptions" you talk about are those who, either by natural ability and skill, or by years of practice, or both, are accurate editors of their own work.

I don't think all my photos are great, just the great ones. Most of those are broadly appreciated - some less so - still, I stand by my ability to edit my own work.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 19, 2009 06:43 |  #42

sapearl wrote in post #8849593 (external link)
When it comes to growth and self improvement, often the hardest challenge is to be honestly critical with yourself.

We've all gone through periods where we feel the muse has abandoned us. That happens. Fortunately those episodes come and go. But we have also seen people on this forum that constantly beat themselves up, don't know how to take constructive criticism and are generally just Debbie and Danny Downers. Those folks are pretty rough sells, and often it's less about ability and more about their lack of self confidence.

There are many terrific posters here, and many more that are good photographers. The trick is to "personally" maintain an open mind regarding your own work and be fair and object to yourself. You'll generally know when a shot is mediocre or poor. But you are also entitled to the acolades that come with your wonderfully crafted images ;). - Stu

That puts things into perspective, thanks for sharing. :) I think it's difficult when you have only been shooting 2-3yrs, want to take photographs really bad but for various reasons have difficulty. I really want to get more into wedding photography (maybe) and some casual model shoots for fun. Problem is I'm not really a people person, so that takes alot of effort and working on my self esteem. If I get a little nervous and my shots are not as good as I would have liked (usually I can at least fix them in RAW, so nobody's feelings are hurt) those times feel like I've taken a step backwards. Anyways enough about me.. I forget what this thread is about in the first place. :lol:

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 19, 2009 06:53 |  #43

I have shots that fall into both camps. Yes, I think I have some great shots. My problem is deciding which ones I want to show and which ones I don't. I think my tastes just happen to be different than the majority's. Probably my best stuff is sitting on my computer because I don't particualrly care for them.

The worst thing is to get attached to your own stuff, which I am guilty of, 100%.

Then again, I don't really care that much since most of the stuff I do is for myself.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 19, 2009 06:53 |  #44

I think the OP's statement is, in general, wrong but there is a small element of truth in it.

I'm not the worlds best photographer (by a long way), but i can view my own work fairly dispationately and think:
1) that sucks and is going stright to the recycle bin
2) Not bad but could have done better with blah blah blah
3) Pretty good but just missed great because of blah blah
4) Wow I'm good at this!

Very seldom do I award myself a 4 (others who dont shoot do though). Most of mine are 2s and 3s - which I can handle.

Do i beat myself up about the 1s? Sometimes but i always try to think of the 4s otherwise i would give up and walk away.

I do this for fun so what I shoot is what I shoot good or bad.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 19, 2009 09:18 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

SOK wrote in post #8843146 (external link)
My thought is that I don't believe such a photographer exists.

Ken Rockwell......if you can call him a photographer.

SAY NO TO SPEC WORK! (external link)

sponsored links

6,536 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you like your own photos you suck.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.