Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Oct 2009 (Saturday) 02:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D Mk III vs 7D please i need advice !!

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 19, 2009 11:03 |  #31

BTNorris wrote in post #8850790 (external link)
Mostly some grumblings here and complaints by friends-of-a-friend - nothing worth fighting them over.

FWIW: I'm getting a 7d within a couple months unless the 1d-iii prices fall far enough.

I'm guessing they will hit the extreme low 2000's, if not lower, which will make them a GREAT bargain.

sponsored links
BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 19, 2009 11:14 |  #32

nicksan wrote in post #8850871 (external link)
I'm guessing they will hit the extreme low 2000's, if not lower, which will make them a GREAT bargain.

Exactly what I'm hoping for - but even if that happens, I still might be tempted by a 7d with a rebate (hint, hint, Canon).

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,184 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 19, 2009 11:15 |  #33

nicksan wrote in post #8850871 (external link)

No doubt, if you could pick up a MKIII for only about $500 difference over a new 7D, I think that is a very good option.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 19, 2009 11:43 |  #34

Having not tried a 7D yet, if it were up to me I'd seriously consider a 7D over a 1D3 at the moment. The one REALLY outstanding feature the 1D3 has over the 7D is dual card slots... which unfortunately, is VERY important to me. For many of the other features, the 7D as leveled the playing field or made up a lot of ground.

The attractive part about the 7D over the 1D3 though is your options for wide to normal range lenses. There are a plethora of ultrawide lenses you can choose from for 1.6 crop. For the 1D3, there really is only the Sigma 12-24 and the 14mm primes, unless you don't mind modding or using 1.6 glass. As for normal range zooms, the 24-70 and 24-105 are just not wide enough to me for normal range zooms, while you have many many choices for 1.6 for a good normal range zoom starting around the FOV of 28mm. It's a bit frustrating in that area on 1.3 crop. That's just my take on it.

But if you are shooting mostly telephoto stuff then it's awesome. I'd take the 1D3.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

cicopo
Goldmember
3,577 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 19, 2009 11:44 |  #35

I'm in that position right now. There is a 1D3 selling locally that's under the $500 difference to a new 7D but having a 1D2n already I want a 1.6 crop body with a BUILT IN flash, and the rest (high ISO & frame rate) are a bonus but the AF is needed. I just bought a pair of batteries at FM for the body I don't yet have, but my research says it's the right body for me considering what I already own.
(there's no use me buying the body right now because I'm laid up by Achilles Tendon reconstructive surgery. I can't see buying one and watching it sit while the warranty wastes away. )

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,184 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 19, 2009 11:55 |  #36

cicopo wrote in post #8851131 (external link)
I'm in that position right now. There is a 1D3 selling locally that's under the $500 difference to a new 7D but having a 1D2n already I want a 1.6 crop body with a BUILT IN flash, and the rest (high ISO & frame rate) are a bonus but the AF is needed. I just bought a pair of batteries at FM for the body I don't yet have, but my research says it's the right body for me considering what I already own.
(there's no use me buying the body right now because I'm laid up by Achilles Tendon reconstructive surgery. I can't see buying one and watching it sit while the warranty wastes away. )

Wow, sorry to hear about the bedrest situation, yikes!

You will just have to live vicariously through POTN and FM members in the time being! If you think you will end up with a 7D, you could download the PDF manual and start to get to know the 7D through documentation?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
3,577 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 19, 2009 12:39 |  #37

I have the manual & have been reading up on things I see mentioned in the different messages about differences to previous cameras. I have the pdf's of every manual for each body or flash that I have (if I can find them on line) on each of my computers. Very helpful when I travel & need to make an adjustment I rarely use.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,184 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 19, 2009 12:49 |  #38

cicopo wrote in post #8851471 (external link)
I have the manual & have been reading up on things I see mentioned in the different messages about differences to previous cameras. I have the pdf's of every manual for each body or flash that I have (if I can find them on line) on each of my computers. Very helpful when I travel & need to make an adjustment I rarely use.

Don't forget about going through Canon's very own tip page too, I find a few interesting ideas from their documentation.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …uctID=329&artic​leTypeID=5 (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
3,577 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 19, 2009 13:05 |  #39

Thank TS, I didn't know about it but I'm there now. Looks interesting & since I have the time I'll read it carefully. Larry

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,184 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 19, 2009 13:08 |  #40

cicopo wrote in post #8851650 (external link)
Thank TS, I didn't know about it but I'm there now. Looks interesting & since I have the time I'll read it carefully. Larry

I read through the AF one, and am still very confused on why/when I would use the zoned points. They say it is good for birding, but I would think one of the expanded AF point modes would be better. Oh well, if you glean insight from that, please share.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 19, 2009 13:10 |  #41

TeamSpeed wrote in post #8851669 (external link)
I read through the AF one, and am still very confused on why/when I would use the zoned points. They say it is good for birding, but I would think one of the expanded AF point modes would be better. Oh well, if you glean insight from that, please share.

I use the center cluster "Zone" for BIF, b/c I suck at it. Then again I only go out to shoot birds like once a year just to test out the AF system...:lol:

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 19, 2009 18:38 |  #42

FYI
http://www.birdphotogr​aphyblog.com/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,184 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 19, 2009 18:51 |  #43

Wow, that is some glowing endorsement for the AF on the 7D!

Overall the focusing felt similar to the 1D III, about the same in acquisition speed and I’d say even better in tracking, as surprising as that may sound. The extra AF modes also allow for more flexibility, and I think the zone AF mode will be more useful than single point + expansion for birds in flight against a clean background, simply because you don’t have to keep the AF point right on the bird and it gives more room for error. Using all 19 points seems to be much more effective than using all 45 on the 1D, The one noticeable difference is that when acquiring a target that’s really out of focus, the AF will search for a subject, but often not long enough to actually acquire the subject, or it may lock on while still very misfocused. This is similar to my experience with other prosumer bodies, while only the 1D tends to search for focus long enough to accurately acquire a grossly out of focus target. In practise this is probably not a significant concern.

The 7D delivers a punch in a smaller package, with performance not too far off that of the much larger and more expensive 1D series. I could see this becoming the body of choice for anyone into bird or wildlife photography, and particularly for those who want to save money over the pro bodies but still enjoy excellent performance.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,577 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 19, 2009 19:13 |  #44

I read that about an hour ago & it does seem to endorse as the AF system as being very capable.

Tyreman
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 22, 2009 04:02 |  #45

Nice clear shots of the cat even at high iso.

Canon 1DX II
Canon 1DX
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
EF50mm f/1.8 STM
580 EX II

sponsored links

64,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D Mk III vs 7D please i need advice !!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.