Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Oct 2009 (Monday) 21:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How my old 10D ended up in a major motion picture...

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 19, 2009 21:52 |  #1

I will never understand the mindset of movie and television producers. I don't think artists are supposed to understand producers (and vice versa). Here is a good story to illustrate that point.

I received a call today from a movie shooting in town (Louisiana is a hotbed of movie production right now, believe it or not). This is not a little movie. It stars an academy award nominated actress. I won't name names due to the nature of this story, but trust me, it's big. Anyway, they want to rent some photo equipment for a scene in the movie. They are trying to simulate a fashion shoot.

So I say "Perfect! No problem. My 1Ds Mark II, Profoto Air D1 Monolights, and 70-200 2.8L IS will look PERFECT for your shoot. How does $500 for the afternoon sound and I'll even hang out and babysit the gear and make sure your actor looks like he knows what he is doing?"

...........silence....​...

"My budget for this is $100 and we'll need to keep the equipment overnight. You can't be on set."

".........uhhhhh... no thanks."

"Well... Do you have anything else? Like maybe a junk camera?"

"Yeahh... I have my old 10D and I could probably slap a nifty fifty on it for you and even give you a White Lightning monolight."

"PERFECT! We'll be by to pick it up Wednesday!"

:rolleyes:

So that's the story. If you guys see a movie next year with a fashion photographer shooting with a gripped 10D and a Plastic Fantastic, well.. you know who to blame.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

sponsored links
e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 19, 2009 21:54 |  #2

lol.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,667 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 19, 2009 22:00 |  #3

Your 50mm just became free! If you don't want to include a memory card, you might want to set it to shoot without a card. Otherwise if they really want the shutter to fire, they wouldn't be able to without a card.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

dorkiedoode
438 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 19, 2009 22:01 |  #4

a big movie and they can't afford to call one of their photographer connection and borrow one from them instead. what a broke production. well, i guess they're trying to save as much money for themselves as possible.

1 2 3 4 5

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,667 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 19, 2009 22:02 |  #5

dorkiedoode wrote in post #8855030 (external link)
a big movie and they can't afford to call one of their photographer connection and borrow one from them instead. what a broke production. well, i guess they're trying to save as much money for themselves as possible.

Maybe this movie will skip the big screen and go directly to DVD! :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

therealmr
519 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 19, 2009 22:03 |  #6

dorkiedoode wrote in post #8855030 (external link)

I was just thinking the same thing, kindof: Why didn't they just ask their stills photographer to use his/her equipment, haha.

In any case, neat!

http://www.simkinsphot​ography.com/ (external link)

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 19, 2009 22:10 |  #7

therealmr wrote in post #8855048 (external link)
I was just thinking the same thing, kindof: Why didn't they just ask their stills photographer to use his/her equipment, haha.

In any case, neat!

Believe me, I am wondering the same thing! I have seen the sets of this production. They are shooting with Red One cameras, have full sets built on serious sound stages, and have a star. Why they can't do better just boggles my mind.

Teddy Smith, SOC

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2009 22:29 |  #8

Yeah, that's strange. Multi-million dollar productions spend thousands of dollars a day on food alone. And, a movie doesn't have to be that big to spend in the millions.

flickr (external link)

zildjansg
334 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 19, 2009 23:11 |  #9

LOL!

1D II
17-40 f4
28-70 2.8
70-200 2.8

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 19, 2009 23:30 |  #10

Red One's one a movie set....yeah, straight to DVD or a filler movie. I'm on the up and up on what's coming out and it doesn't sound big, it sounds as big as what academy award winners do when they're bored.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 19, 2009 23:34 |  #11

Hmm not to start a red one debate, but across the street battle of la is filming with an $80m budget and the red one. In the last year practically every major production has embraced the red (for better or worse).

Teddy Smith, SOC

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 19, 2009 23:39 |  #12

the red one is the future!

give them a full battery and card , then glue the card in and glue the menu so they can't delete the pics!
sell said pics if they take any to TMZ

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

cwm9
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 20, 2009 00:00 |  #13

aroundlsu wrote in post #8855089 (external link)
Why they can't do better just boggles my mind.

Simple:

1. The prop guy sent out to grab a camera with a $100 budget is probably some bottom-of-the-ladder intern who can't even get within 10 feet of the photographer without getting the beat down from a security guard. He's just out to get a list of "stuff" for the shoot.

2. The photographer probably wouldn't dare lend his $15,000 rig to some actor that doesn't know the first thing about cameras. ("Look at me swing this camera around by the strap... wheeee! Whoops, I think I cracked your 'L' lens... whatever that means.")

3. The director probably doesn't care because the movie is probably not about the photographer. He's just an "extra", and he's really not trying to convince you that the photographer is real. Besides, the director knows that 99%+ of the population will see a 10D with a fantastic plastic and think, "wow, nice camera." Less than 1% of the population will know that the camera is old tech, and more importantly, the audience is very unlikely to be looking at it anyway. ("Mike, I thought the plot was OK, but what really ruined it for me was that 3 second clip of that photographer guy at 29:15 who was shooting with a 10D. A 10D! I mean, really.")

4. There's probably 1,000+ "little" items that need to be staged for the production, from lamps to key chains to refrigerator magnets. 1000*$100 = $100,000, but 1000 * $1,000 = $1 million.

therealmr
519 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 20, 2009 11:03 |  #14

aroundlsu wrote in post #8855700 (external link)
Hmm not to start a red one debate, but across the street battle of la is filming with an $80m budget and the red one. In the last year practically every major production has embraced the red (for better or worse).

For better. I thought it would get rid of my job, but it turns out I'm better at it than an editor is frame grabbing from the shoot. Score.

http://www.simkinsphot​ography.com/ (external link)

Lordedmond
145 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 20, 2009 11:10 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #8855021 (external link)
Your 50mm just became free! If you don't want to include a memory card, you might want to set it to shoot without a card. Otherwise if they really want the shutter to fire, they wouldn't be able to without a card.

Or put a card in and maybe get some free stills from the shoot

Canon 7d, Speedlite 580EX II | EF 17-40 f4 L | EF 70-200 f4 L IS USM
Stuart

sponsored links

4,179 views & 18 likes for this thread
How my old 10D ended up in a major motion picture...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.