Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jul 2009 (Monday) 13:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Petition for new 500D t1i firmware!

NPuter
574 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 17, 2009 14:53 |  #46

signed...
It may not happen, but it would be nice if it did :)

NPuter | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link)
5D Mark IV | 7D
16-35 f/2.8L II | 16-35 f/2.8L III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

Feedback

sponsored links
Hulka
378 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 17, 2009 17:28 as a reply to  @ NPuter's post |  #47

Maybe I should make a petition for my 40D since a lot on here say is it just a software update. Hell it is a canon camera so it should do it right!

Think of the cameras as a computer, if you go and buy and entry level computer of course it is not going to run at lighting speeds like the higher end models. To much variables involved.

I think it is great that you all are trying to get these things, but in my OPINION, canon will do nothing and might release so different features in their next entry level (REBEL series) camera.

Good Luck!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/61517977@N03/ (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/61517977@N03/ (external link)

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 15, 2009 03:54 |  #48

i do wish there is going to be a firmware updates to solve some issues here and there. That's why they have the "firmware update" thing inside the menu. The question is: Do i want the extra manual functionality in video like the 5D? Yes, of course. But will i get mad if i didn't get it? No. It was expected when i first purchase the T1i.
But a lot of you who own a 5DII seems like you don't want that to happen because it is a "entry level", so make it "have no function, cheap, and unreliable" (Sorry if this sounds harsh, but i'm just expressing what i interpret as a result of reading the above posts). You guys don't want anything that can slightly peak a step forward to catch up 5DII. Afterall, this is a newer technology, and a newer release of the camera compare to 5DII. So What if the secondary function(video) has close to or exactly the same video functionality in video? 5DII is still intrinsically better than T1i in terms of IQ, noise, perspective.
All we wants (just wants, not complaints) is to make the not-so-convinenant video function better as if it is a bug to the original interface.

A few of you guys use some extreme cases of using different brand of cars, computer to compare....(all we want is to have a upgrade in the cruise control, rather than driving a completely new car, to have a better drivers for all the hardware so then the computer as a whole can run more smoothly). Afterall the video is not the MAIN function of the camera, if you say change the firmware equals to changing from Honda to Ferrari, or changing from Pentium 1 to core i7, that's really missing the point.

Kevin life= learning
500D, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 60 macro, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 8mm 3.5, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, Kenko SP300 1.4x, efs extension tubes, 580EX, and lens that i don't like

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 15, 2009 09:17 |  #49

Since when do you expect Canon to listen to the customer? Hasn't happened yet with the 5DII, a supposed flagship camera. Never gonna happen as awesome as it would be.

carshop
Goldmember
1,846 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 15, 2009 10:08 |  #50

I couldnt wait.
Traded in my T1i and got the 7D.
Henry's gave me back full price less restocking fee.
I was okay with that, since I have had the T1i for 6 months and had very good use with it.

ShawnSmugmug (external link)/Flickr (external link)/LikeMyFacebook (external link)
Canon 70D Gripped|
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS|Canon 24-105|Canon 18-135
Canon 580 EX II|Sigma 18-50 2.8
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II

NPuter
574 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 15, 2009 20:52 |  #51

overclock wrote in post #8826585 (external link)
Since when do you expect Canon to listen to the customer? Hasn't happened yet with the 5DII, a supposed flagship camera. Never gonna happen as awesome as it would be.

Um.. yes, this exact thing has 'happened' with the 5DII:
http://www.canonrumors​.com …pdate-for-eos-5d-mark-ii/ (external link)

How about the T1i next cannon???

NPuter | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link)
5D Mark IV | 7D
16-35 f/2.8L II | 16-35 f/2.8L III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

Feedback

atlasv32
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 20, 2009 15:58 as a reply to  @ NPuter's post |  #52

I signed the petition, but I don't think it's going to happen because it doesn't make financial sense for Canon:

in 2007 canon sold 3.18 million DSLRs: http://news.cnet.com …2670-39.html?tag=nefd.top (external link)

Let's assume that they're making about 4 million in 2008 of which we assume 25% are T1i. If the T1i is around for 4 years, that's 4 million cameras sold. If just 1% of t1i owners decide to buy a 7d (assume $1000 profit/camera), canon will make ~4M*0.01*1000=40 million bucks by not releasing a better firmware. While I understand that these estimates may be wildly inaccurate, no matter what assumptions you make, canon will throw away millions of dollars if they release this improved firmware.

The 5d mk ii probably isn't a good comparison: no matter how good they make its firmware, they won't be taking market share away from another up-market product.

This brings me to my point: if you have a t1i and then buy a 7d or a 5d mk ii, don't tell canon -- you're just encouraging them. But, if you decide to buy a nikon or a panasonic because canon didn't release the updated t1i firmware, then you should tell the whole world.

Baselerd
156 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 20, 2009 16:59 |  #53

Just a thought... I don't think they can increase the framerate of the 1080p video acquisition. The reason the framerate is set so low is bandwidth limitations by the data bus and throughput throughout the camera (hardware).

Rebel XSi (450D) | 18-55mm IS Canon| 60mm USM EF-S macro | 55-250 IS Canon | Canon Speedlite 420EX | ProOptics Extension Tubes | Opteka Fisheye | Lumiquest Softbox

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 20, 2009 20:08 |  #54

Baselerd wrote in post #8860932 (external link)
Just a thought... I don't think they can increase the framerate of the 1080p video acquisition. The reason the framerate is set so low is bandwidth limitations by the data bus and throughput throughout the camera (hardware).

They will definitly won't change the 20fps to 24fps, that's for sure. But i think most of the people here signed is for the manual control of the video function.

Kevin life= learning
500D, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 60 macro, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 8mm 3.5, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, Kenko SP300 1.4x, efs extension tubes, 580EX, and lens that i don't like

atlasv32
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 08, 2010 08:54 as a reply to  @ ckckevin's post |  #55

It appears that canon took the feedback from this petition and released a new product, T2i, instead of an updated firmware for the T1i that includes manual video control, 720/60 etc. This is a pure money play, as the "improvements" to the T2i are largely cosmetic. I think canon executives abused the petition by using it as market research.

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 08, 2010 09:03 |  #56

atlasv32 wrote in post #9565595 (external link)
It appears that canon took the feedback from this petition and released a new product, T2i, instead of an updated firmware for the T1i that includes manual video control, 720/60 etc. This is a pure money play, as the "improvements" to the T2i are largely cosmetic. I think canon executives abused the petition by using it as market research.

Sure.:rolleyes:

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 09, 2010 09:31 |  #57

atlasv32 wrote in post #9565595 (external link)

Horray! But what does that do good to me?

Kevin life= learning

atlasv32
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 09, 2010 13:24 |  #58

cheungupdt wrote in post #9573589 (external link)
Horray! But what does that do good to me?

It doesn't do us any good. But for next time... if you buy a low end DSLR don't expect canon to add features with firmware updates, and realize that signing a petition is like voting for the features you want buy in your next low end DSLR. I naively bought a T1i thinking canon would support it. Turns out I should have bought a 5D mkII, a nikon or an olympus.

The next course of action for me is to boycott canon products because they don't support their low end DSLRs.

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 09, 2010 14:11 |  #59

atlasv32 wrote in post #9575208 (external link)
The next course of action for me is to boycott canon products because they don't support their low end DSLRs.

And you think other companies do? It's called a business for a reason. Because they are LEGALLY required to make the most money they can for their shareholders. You think the shareholders said "no, we don't want to make money on a new model, just add new features to the current model and then no one will have to buy anything else but they'll still get extra features."?

Go ahead and switch to another maker and make a petition and see if you get different results. Come back and let us know what happens.

You bought the camera with the features it had, if you buy it based on what it could have in the future... I can't think of a nice way to call you not very bright, but you got what you paid for based on what was included at the time of purchase, and there were no suggestions made that in the future the camera would be more advanced. I don't understand on what basis you feel you have the right to complain that what you bought knowing full well the features is not what you wanted. If you wanted something else, you should have bought something else.

well69
212 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 09, 2010 15:15 |  #60

DennisW1 wrote in post #8249098 (external link)
Where have I heard this before?

Oh yeah, now I remember. It was shortly after Canon released the original Rebel model (300D)

At the time, Canon had previously released the 10D prosumer model. For the first time they had a camera within the price range of a lot of hobbyist photographers, but still over the heads of those amateurs who couldn't quite justify $1500 for just a camera body.

Canon wasn't stupid. They marketed the Rebel with a lower cost lens that was acceptable for the average camera user, and a feature set that left out several of the more advanced setting options of the 10D. It sold for just under $1k (999.95) and was an instant hit.

It didnt take long for the more serious hobbyists to latch onto these cameras and immediately start whining to Canon about how dare they "cripple" the 10D firmware and stuff it into the Rebel. I don't know for sure if such petitions were circulated, but there was a lot of complaining to Canon that they should "un-cripple" the camera so that those users could have a camera body equal in performance and flexibility as the more expensive 10D model. If you were around then you know there were some firmware hacks floated around that supposedly did just that, but none were ever released or endorsed by Canon.

So, fast forward to 2009 and here we go again. People buying an $800 500D body want the same feature set and options available to them that Canon has engineered into the 5D MkII, which I see goes for around $3800 body only. Wake up!! You bought an $800 entry-level camera body that has been given a similar but simpler video capture mode. If you want the full control set that the 5D2 offers, then guess what? Buy a 5D2.

I'm sorry if all you can afford is a 500D but wish you could have the features of a 5D2. All I can afford to buy and drive is a Mazda6. I'd Love a Lexus IS350 but its simply out of my price range. Welcome to reality.

Fool.

sponsored links

20,817 views & 0 likes for this thread
Petition for new 500D t1i firmware!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.