Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 22:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is a LCD Protector Necessary?

Sashira
78 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 20, 2009 22:18 |  #1

Hello!

I'm still accessorizing my new terribly expensive hobby (and still getting ready for my Antarctica trip) and I was wondering if anyone uses an LCD protector?

I've seen some that glue (kinda scary) and some that are glass that apparently are custom made and can come on/off without any glue (but more expensive).

So I was wondering, is this something I should invest in and if it is, what suggestions do folks have on what to get? I love this camera and I just want to treat it well. :)

(I have the T1i/500D camera) Thank you for any help!

Novice and new owner of the T1i and can't wait to learn everything I can do with it!
My journal about Antarctica with photos as soon as I get back on January 1st 2010: http://journeytoantarc​tica.net (external link)

sponsored links
JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2009 22:30 |  #2

The shiny surface you see on your LCD is already a protective cover...and its replaceable. So there really is no need to put another on there...

Nobody cares about your gear list...

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 20, 2009 23:12 |  #3

not even remotely necessary.

I've owned 5 or 6 different canon DSLRs and not a single one has seen a scratch on the rear LCD.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2009 23:18 |  #4

Cathpah wrote in post #8863051 (external link)
I've owned 5 or 6 different canon DSLRs and not a single one has seen a scratch on the rear LCD.

You either dont use your camera very much or your gear is incredibly babied... :p

Nobody cares about your gear list...

xMClass
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 20, 2009 23:34 |  #5

Nope. Not at all.

-Mikey

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,448 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 20, 2009 23:40 |  #6

I use a GGS protector. Its so cheap.....why wouldn't you buy one??

GGS has got to be one of the better ones on the market.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 21, 2009 00:19 |  #7

I use it just because I've seen how bad it gets on my cell phone & pda. I thought it was overkill until last month I went on a 4 mile hike and noticed there were scratches on the screen protector. It was due to the position of the neck strap clip and how I stored the camera in the back pack. A couple of bucks to coat the screen can't hurt.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

kryptic4l
53 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 21, 2009 01:04 |  #8

nothing beats ripping off a sticky protector and looking at how shiny and new it looks.

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 21, 2009 01:54 |  #9

Jeffro250 wrote in post #8863095 (external link)
You either dont use your camera very much or your gear is incredibly babied... :p

I use my gear A LOT and baby it, but my 40D got a small scratch on its LCD screen from rubbing against my belt buckle once. (that thing has 80K actuations on it tho, and it famously slinky-walked down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial once :( )

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 21, 2009 03:15 |  #10

AlanU wrote in post #8863221 (external link)
I use a GGS protector. Its so cheap.....why wouldn't you buy one??

Er, because the LCD already has a protector on it - just like Jeffro250 said in post #2. It is replacable and fairly cheap. However, if you think that a screen protector protector is a good idea then that's fine.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 21, 2009 06:35 |  #11

I have used the clear plastic covers at times and sometime I don't. I have a ton left over from my PDA. But you don't need it. I did scratch my 5D2 LCD cover a little on vacation, but after cleaning it well, you can hardly see it. That thing is tough. When you can hardly see the image in bright light, adding a layer just makes it that much harder. Go without. No problems.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 21, 2009 06:57 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #12

I've got a SHOTT GLASS...... Its REAL glass, it sticks on. If you need to remove it, it comes off clean with some heat from a hair dryer.......

THE BIG THING it does is that it cuts the reflections down and you can actually see whats on the LCD in bright sunlight......

I had a HOODMAN in the past and opening it s*cked and it finally broke. They sent me a replacement and actually said if I broke it, too bad. Their hinges are a BIT weak in my humble engineering opinion......

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 21, 2009 07:42 as a reply to  @ P51Mstg's post |  #13

Jeffro250 wrote in post #8863095 (external link)

I don't baby my gear, and both my 20D and 5D show extensive bare metal (from big metal belt buckles), but the LCD covers Canon supplied are just fine. They've never seen any kind of additional "protection". I'd rather put the money into something that'll make a real differnece in my equipment's performance.

mellofelow wrote in post #8863458 (external link)
I use it just because I've seen how bad it gets on my cell phone & pda. I thought it was overkill until last month I went on a 4 mile hike and noticed there were scratches on the screen protector. It was due to the position of the neck strap clip and how I stored the camera in the back pack. A couple of bucks to coat the screen can't hurt.

Well, is your "screen protector" as tough as the plastic Canon supplies, though? Anything hard enough to scratch Canon's standard cover would go right through most add-ons without even noticing on its way there.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 21, 2009 07:56 |  #14

Have a Read

https://photography-on-the.net …hlight=Protect+​LCD+Screen

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

Sashira
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 21, 2009 09:04 |  #15

Wow, I'm sorry I had no idea asking this question would cause such turmoil!

Thank you for the different points of view though, I do appreciate it. I guess this just boils down to personal taste. I don't have the experience to have an opinion about this yet.

Thanks everyone, the indecision continues but this was very helpful! :)

Novice and new owner of the T1i and can't wait to learn everything I can do with it!
My journal about Antarctica with photos as soon as I get back on January 1st 2010: http://journeytoantarc​tica.net (external link)

sponsored links

4,457 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is a LCD Protector Necessary?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.