Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Oct 2009 (Monday) 06:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you put your lens cap?

Nouks
824 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 17, 2009 12:38 |  #46

Martin Dixon wrote in post #8805266 (external link)
1) They are hard to get off/on, especially with a big hood - I am buying some cheap pinch ones on e-bay so that may help.

Don't have any problems with that.

2) I tend to end up putting them in my trouser pocket. Not lost one for very long yet but feel it is likely.

I've lost some, and if I do, I'll buy a new one. But in the last 5 years I most probably have lost one or two (and I'm not the most organized kind of photographer) so that's doable.

Or may get damaged with keys etc.

Uhm... do you actually mind? Hello, they're meant for protecting your lenses, your lenses won't mind a key scratch...

Oh, by the way: I usually put them anywhere in my camera bag.

I used to be Gebruikersnaam.
Gearlist: 1D2, resurrected 20D, 400D, 16-35L, 28-70L, 70-200L, 85 F1.8, cute 18-55, dead 24-70 Siggie, 2 flashlights, expensive bags and loads of CF-cards.
Website (external link)Portfolio (external link)Archive (external link)

sponsored links
CoquetteRN
184 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 17, 2009 13:13 |  #47

I put mine in my front right pocket, if I am wearing pants with a pocket. If not, I slide it inside the waist of my pants.

Stephanie
Canon 5d, 30d, nifty fifty, 17-40L, 70-200L f4 IS, 100 macro, 85, 24-70L, 50 1.4, 580EX II

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,092 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 18, 2009 18:43 as a reply to  @ CoquetteRN's post |  #48

This same complaint comes up time and time here and most of those making the complaint don't understand that replacing and removing the cap all the time just cuts down on thier shooting speed. Lenses are a lot more durable than they realize and it's not going to hurt them any to leave the cap off during an all day shooting session. It suddenly dawns on them when they miss that once-in-a-lifetime shot because their lens cap was on.

I was doing PJ work shooting riots and demonstrations in the early 70s. I didn't have lens caps attached while shooting--lenses went into and came out of my bags without caps (but with hoods). My routine was practiced enough that I never had to look down into my bag or at the camera. I could change lenses while jogging and keeping my eyes on the action.

But when I packed up for home, I put on the caps.

These days, I'm doing portrait work, mostly on location. I transport my gear to the location in hard cases with caps on. If I'm going to be mobile between shooting points, I'll transfer some of it to my Domke J2 bag (I've been using those since the late 70s) without the caps.

When I pack for home, I'll put on the caps.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

DucoNihilum
186 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2009 18:50 |  #49

In my desk. I never use lens caps. Way too busy while on the job to bother with switching lens caps. Now if you're talking about the rear lens cap, those are always on the 'next lens'. I have an uneven amount of rear lens caps in my bag so whenever I replace one, I always have another handy with what I replaced it with.

~DucoNihilum
Canon EoS 20D
EFS 18-55mm Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 28-105 II USM f3.5/4.5
Crappy tripod, Sigma EF Super flash, POTN strap.

Matt-l
272 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 19, 2009 13:10 |  #50

left backy pocket

Matt Learie
Gear List
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mattleariephoto​graphy/ (external link)Twitter (external link)

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 19, 2009 13:17 |  #51

pocket, unless of course its the aforementioned 300mm f2.8 lens. in which case, i would wear it on my head. :D

BroncoAZ
393 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 19, 2009 23:30 |  #52

I stuff mine in my front pocket. I like the Tamron or Sigma lens covers with the center pinch release for the zoom lens with hood.

Canon 60D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS, Canon 10-22mm, Canon Extender EF 1.4x II, Canon 430EX II, B+W MRC filters, Pelican 1450 with dividers, Think Tank Digital Holster 10V2, 2011 Macbook Pro 15" i7 2.0 GHz 8GB RAM, Canon D10

natalieegbert
124 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 20, 2009 08:17 as a reply to  @ BroncoAZ's post |  #53

I put mine in my back pocket or back in my camera bag.

Natalie Stegall
Gear: Canon xsi and a 5D mark 2

John ­ E
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 20, 2009 08:31 |  #54

I don't know because I can never find the blasted thing!!!

John E.
Canon 5D MK II; 30D; EF 85 f/1.8; EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS II; EF 24-105L f/4; EF 135L f/2; EF 24-70L; Canon 580 EX II(x3).

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 20, 2009 10:37 |  #55

Bacl left trouser pocket - always.

If the camera is out, the caps are off. Only when it goes back in the bag at the end of shoot do the caps go back on.

The hood is there for protection when the camera is out, the caps are there for protection in the bag.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 20, 2009 10:45 as a reply to  @ neilwood32's post |  #56

i put it in my butt crack so its warm and fussy when i put it back on.....:rolleyes:

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,092 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 20, 2009 14:01 |  #57

jeppoy wrote in post #8858437 (external link)
i put it in my butt crack so its warm and fussy when i put it back on.....:rolleyes:

Fussy? Any particular reason why it's fussing about having been there?

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 20, 2009 15:01 |  #58

its magic :D

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

kryptic4l
53 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 21, 2009 01:21 |  #59

I only have two lenses at the moment, one hangs on a string :/ that will change soon came with the camera that way. the other i leave in the hole in the bag. and my two lenses share the bottom cap.

richardwu
195 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 21, 2009 10:55 |  #60

Lens cap goes in my pocket when I've got the camera out, and back on the lens when the camera goes back in its bag. :)

Canon 5D | 24-70L | 580EXII | Crumpler 6MDH
richardwu.zenfolio.com | POTN Feedback

sponsored links

5,300 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you put your lens cap?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.