Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Mar 2009 (Monday) 22:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cactus v4 experiences, add yours.

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 10, 2009 09:23 |  #166

Bobster wrote in post #8557670 (external link)
one of the antenna snapped off :(

I watched a YouTube review on these and the user suggested to leave the antenna down, based on his testing; he said he got more consistant firing.

DC~

sponsored links
Mr.Bones
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 10, 2009 11:11 |  #167

DD974 wrote in post #8617997 (external link)
I watched a YouTube review on these and the user suggested to leave the antenna down, based on his testing; he said he got more consistant firing.

Yep i have to agree. I get a better signal with the antenna down.

I'm a designer first, photographer second
www.bonesmedia.com (external link)
---------------
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT | Canon 18-55mm EF-S Lens | Canon 580EX Speedlite Flash | Vagabond II | AlienBees B800 Flash

AlexinS.A.
127 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 11, 2009 08:46 |  #168

O.K read the 1st few pages and then skipped to end.

Also looked at YouTube reviews and suspect reviewer has an agenda (Troll).

I have been using V2's for a while now and have had lots of problems. Misfires with studio strobes and even worse, when I attached my 430ex flash to the receiver it went haywire. Going off by itself all the time witout being triggered. I put a post in this forum about it and no real solutions. Tried different channel combitations but this did not help.

Anyway went to camera shop/store today to try out V4's with camera and flash. They worked perfectly every time in shop, so I bought. Got them home and tried about another 30 shots. Still working great and flash behaving fine! Have read that some people have problems with flash being a tight fit to receiver, but mine is fine.

Holding thumbs!!

Alex Bond-Smith, Cape Town,South Africa. Canon 50D.Website http://www.alexbondsmi​thphotography.co.za/ (external link)

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 11, 2009 09:03 as a reply to  @ AlexinS.A.'s post |  #169

I received mine yesterday and put a 430ex and 580exII on receivers, set them on back porch and walked about 60 feet out in the yard and they both popped every time I hit the test button on the trigger.

I did this same test with my (non-EU) PW Flex (w/no freakish mods to make it work) and the Mini and could not even get one to fire at same distance. Now granted I won't be using this distance in the field, but I even had issues having one PW fire at half that distance....bottom line, I just want them to fire, even if TTL isn't utilized with the Cactus V4s.

DC~

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 11, 2009 09:22 as a reply to  @ DD974's post |  #170

Is this a problem with my Cactus V4s?

I had a Senior session, which started about an hour before sundown....went out to the RR tracks and sat the 430ex on a V4 receiver on a RR tie, between the rails, the 580exII/receiver was on a boom arm w/ a small softbox (made for Speedlites)....my son was holding the softbox up in the air about 10' and around 15' from subject and about 20' from me with trigger on my 40D/70-200mm. (didn't have a problem firing the 580exII at all)

1. I made sure I had fresh batteries in Flashes...and the one on the ground (behind the subject about 15') would not fire when I took a shot...but when I hit the test button it would fire.....why?
  2. Also..... I've heard that I'll get better power output to my flash if I use alkaline batteries (1.5v) instead of NiMh batteries (usually only 1.2v)...is this fact?

DC~

AlexinS.A.
127 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 11, 2009 20:17 |  #171

DD974 wrote in post #8624586 (external link)

1. I made sure I had fresh batteries in Flashes...and the one on the ground (behind the subject about 15') would not fire when I took a shot...but when I hit the test button it would fire.....why?

I had exactly the same problem also all the time with my V2's. Drove me mad! So far V4's still fine.

Alex Bond-Smith, Cape Town,South Africa. Canon 50D.Website http://www.alexbondsmi​thphotography.co.za/ (external link)

LooseScrews
95 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 17, 2009 15:52 |  #172

I have been using my "starving student strobist kit" from MPEX for about 3 months. I have had ZERO issues. I use them in a very rudimentary home studio and have yet to experience a misfire. I have shot 3 or 4 sessions with about 50-100 shots each time using a two umbrella setup.

GEAR: Canon 50D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, 420EX flash, 2 x Vivitar 285HV flashes, Cactus V4's, Macbook, Lowepro Flipside 300
Shootin' with both eyes - https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=722505

AlexinS.A.
127 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 19, 2009 11:01 as a reply to  @ LooseScrews's post |  #173

O.K. did family portrait shoot today and worked great. Not one misfire.:)

t-shot
83 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 28, 2009 02:49 |  #174

I reported earlier that I had not a single misfire shooting handheld.

THe other night i was doing some self portraits in my small room with 2 V4 recievers. Camera was tripodded triggered by a Yong Nuo wireless shutter release. I got around 5% misfires. Im not sure if it's to do with the wireless shutter interference or small room?

www.photographersonlin​e.co.nz (external link)

quickster
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 28, 2009 05:18 |  #175

imahawki wrote in post #8583208 (external link)
You can buy that plug anywhere. I wouldn't pay to have it shipped. Look at radio shack.

tried radio shack's plug....didnt work at all.

6D/5D2 | 24-70/2.8 I | 35L | 135L | AB1600 | 430EXII | Cactus V6

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 01, 2009 08:39 as a reply to  @ quickster's post |  #176

I've had far better results with the Vs than I did with the PW Flex and Minis....No ETTL or HSS but don't need it....Just happy they fire when I expect them to.

DC~

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 21, 2009 07:35 as a reply to  @ DD974's post |  #177

Used my V4 set to trigger a 580EXII during wedding formals on Saturday. Probably shot close to 100 frames without a misfire.

Here was my setup -

IMAGE: http://www.evangordonphotography.com/potn/umbrella.jpg

Build quality is decent. I'm probably going to order another receiver for my next wedding.

Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 21, 2009 08:17 |  #178

e: wrong thread

pellepiano
520 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 21, 2009 08:22 |  #179

Had a great time this Sunday with the Cactus although it was raining and stuff.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

- Pelle Piano
// Websitei
www.pellepiano.com (external link)
// My Invented Gallery Site, for all my alias
Gallery Browalls (external link)

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 21, 2009 08:22 |  #180

Terjay wrote in post #8864706 (external link)
e: wrong thread

I think his experiences with the V4s is in one of a couple possible relevant threads.

DC~

sponsored links

45,144 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cactus v4 experiences, add yours.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.